Audioengine A2 or Samson studio dock 3i?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I work away and am looking to upgrade my desk top speakers that travel with me (currently an old pair of bose media mate's). I am confused though as the Audioengine's get a 4 star rating but are the best buy on here yet the samson's are a similar price and get 5 stars. Are there any other speakers I should be looking at? My budget is £100-£150 and they need to be small enough to fit comfortably in my suitcase (i.e without a sub) but good enough to justify the upgrade. I will be using them through my mac book pro and/or Ipod for music and dvd's.

Thanks

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I got the Studiodock 3i's a while ago to use in a pc / desktop setup. Due to redecorating in the lounge they have been temporarily deployed there (while all the other equipment has been removed), fed from iPod Classic / lossless and the sound is surprisingly good.

For travel though they may be a problem packing unless you use the original box r something similar as the mid speaker does not have any cover or grill so it would be exposed to damage. Overall they are pretty small when set up, but somewhat more bulky when boxed.

Hope this helps

Steve

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The A2s are excellent for their size, but I haven't heard the Samsons to compare I'm afraid. They can make a very big and detailed sound though, but like the Samsons, both the mid and tweeter drivers are exposed so would need to be boxed in some way to protect them during travel.

A

Anonymous

We know of a dance teacher who takes their a2s with their iPod to each venue that they teach class (community halls, etc), and has informed us that the drawstring cloth bags that each a2 is packaged in are handy for transporting. The dancers are surprised at the the output these small speakers can achieve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts