Audio Vector... risk or not?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I am in the midst of upgrading my system. Have recently bought a Naim CDX2 CDP and have a Sugden Masterclass IA-4on it's way.
The dealer who has supplied the Sugden has offered me a trade in with my ProAc's for a pair of Audio Vector S3 Super... normally priced at about £2800 for £1395.
On the surface this seems like a good deal, but as I am unable to demo the AV's it's still a risk, so I would therefore value any opinions please.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I have the Audiovector Si3 Signatures (the next level up from the Super). Fabulous speakers. Very detailed. They are quite sensitive speakers so relatively easy to drive. Not particularly fussy about positioning.

I would have been happy with the Si3 Supers.

I havent heard the AVs with Sudgen electronics, though....

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
eternaloptimist said:
I have the Audiovector Si3 Signatures (the next level up from the Super). Fabulous speakers. Very detailed. They are quite sensitive speakers so relatively easy to drive. Not particularly fussy about positioning.

I would have been happy with the Si3 Supers.

I havent heard the AVs with Sudgen electronics, though....

Hi eternaloptimist,
Glad to hear the AV's aren't fussy about positioning, that was one of my concerns, as my room isn't the easiest to please, sonically that is.
Can you describe what I might expect in terms of presentation from the AV's? My ProAc's are good in detail, but lack a bit of depth and realism, also get a bit compressed when there's a lot going on i.e rock as aposed to acoustic which they excell at.

A

Anonymous

I would also highly recommend the Audio Vector speakers - great great speakers I can assure you!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you wait until you hear your Proacs on the end of the Masterclass?

Your other option is to trade in for better Proacs. Sugden + Proac is a great mix.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Can you wait until you hear your Proacs on the end of the Masterclass? Your other option is to trade in for better Proacs. Sugden + Proac is a great mix.

Well, that's what I've decided to do... it arrives on Friday and I've asked the dealer if he would mind waiting till then before I decide and in the mean time I intend to demo the ProAc D18, but this won't be anywhere near as good a deal financially if I were to choose them. Decisions! decisions!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Can you wait until you hear your Proacs on the end of the Masterclass? Your other option is to trade in for better Proacs. Sugden + Proac is a great mix.

Well, that's what I've decided to do... it arrives on Friday and I've asked the dealer if he would mind waiting till then before I decide and in the mean time I intend to demo the ProAc D18, but this won't be anywhere near as good a deal financially if I were to choose them. Decisions! decisions!

I've often found with hifi, that the grass often seems greener on the other side of the fence. I've had to make a personal rule, that unless I can hear it at home, with the option to return, then it's not going to happen.

I'm also a big believer in the effect of quality amplification, and its positive effect on a set of speakers. If you really like what you hear, then don't let curiosity get the better of you. ;)

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:
I've often found with hifi, that the grass often seems greener on the other side of the fence. I've had to make a personal rule, that unless I can hear it at home, with the option to return, then it's not going to happen. I'm also a big believer in the effect of quality amplification, and its positive effect on a set of speakers. If you really like what you hear, then don't let curiosity get the better of you. ;)

Excellent advice.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
[/quote]

Hi eternaloptimist, Glad to hear the AV's aren't fussy about positioning, that was one of my concerns, as my room isn't the easiest to please, sonically that is. Can you describe what I might expect in terms of presentation from the AV's? My ProAc's are good in detail, but lack a bit of depth and realism, also get a bit compressed when there's a lot going on i.e rock as aposed to acoustic which they excell at.[/quote]

The AVs (driven well) can be like a sledgehammer with rock - in a positive way! With complex instrumentation, the detail is there. I would imagine having good power amps helps... The bass is fabulous. If you like speakers like ProAc, PMCs etc you will like the AVs. I like detail - hence the Cyrus - AV combination.

Good luck!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Good news! the dealer has agreed to a home demo on a sale or return basis, will probably get them Monday now and in the mean time I'll be demoeing the ProAc D18. Will be back next week to let you know what happens.
Thanks for the advice all.
Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I took delivery of the AV SI3 Super yesterday and unfortunately, whilst they are a very good speaker, they did not suit my listening room. Very clear and detailed in the treble, but too boomy in the base.
On the back of the unit there is a switch you can flick down to reduce the boom, but this reduced the music's depth and texture too much and didn't sound as good as my ProAcs.
I will be demoing ProAc D18's later today, if they fail to impress I plan to try the ATC SCM40's.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
eternaloptimist said:
I'm interested to know how big your listening room is. I do think the AV Si3 series benefit from space....

Hi,
That may explain a lot, because I'm sure they are a fine speaker, but my room is 13ft by 7.5ft and behind my listening position is a double glazed window from ceiling to floor and that combined with laminet flooring makes it a difficult room to find a speaker that doesn't boom!
I have now got the ProAc D18's on home demo and thus far I'm pretty impressed, but I will also give the ATC SCM 40's a whirl.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Wow! That is certainly a challenging listening environment. I had listened to some AV standmounts and found the bass a bit lacking.

Would you consider standmounts?

Macspur said:
eternaloptimist said:
I'm interested to know how big your listening room is. I do think the AV Si3 series benefit from space....

Hi, That may explain a lot, because I'm sure they are a fine speaker, but my room is 13ft by 7.5ft and behind my listening position is a double glazed window from ceiling to floor and that combined with laminet flooring makes it a difficult room to find a speaker that doesn't boom! I have now got the ProAc D18's on home demo and thus far I'm pretty impressed, but I will also give the ATC SCM 40's a whirl.

Hi Macspur

I've got a number of clients who are happily using SCM40 monitors with Sugden amplification. Fwiw, i've not heard and nor have any of my clients using Sugden amplification with SCM40's reported any issues of a boomy sound.

Anyway i look forward to your thoughts.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
eternaloptimist said:
Wow! That is certainly a challenging listening environment. I had listened to some AV standmounts and found the bass a bit lacking.

Would you consider standmounts?

Hi,
Before I bought the 130's I tried numerous stand mounts from B&W, PMC Mark&Daniel, ProAc and Usher and none sounded right except the Usher, but that was a bit too flat. Then I tried the 130's which were the first floor standing I'd ever considered and I was pleasantly surprised, so settled on them... they really are a lovely detailed loud speaker, but I just want a bit more depth without the boom!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Macspur said:
eternaloptimist said:

Hi, That may explain a lot, because I'm sure they are a fine speaker, but my room is 13ft by 7.5ft and behind my listening position is a double glazed window from ceiling to floor and that combined with laminet flooring makes it a difficult room to find a speaker that doesn't boom! I have now got the ProAc D18's on home demo and thus far I'm pretty impressed, but I will also give the ATC SCM 40's a whirl.

Hi Macspur

I've got a number of clients who are happily using SCM40 monitors with Sugden amplification. Fwiw, i've not heard and nor have any of my clients using Sugden amplification with SCM40's reported any issues of a boomy sound.

Anyway i look forward to your thoughts.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,
Thank you for your valued response.
I spoke to a dealer yesterday who wasn't convinced that the Sugden would be able to drive the ATC SCM 40's. I was beginning to give up hope of upgrading my speakers, as I've been demoing as well as the AV's, a pair of ProAc D18's and whilst they aa a quality speaker, I don't hear enough of an improvement over my 130's to justify the extra cost.
So from your experience Rick, do you feel the 40's would perform well in my listening environment being driven by the Masterclass?

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
It is very important to use the spikes with audiovector floorstanders, never put the speakers flat on the ground. (because of the downfire bassport). If positioned right the bass is super tight and the main reason why I bought the AV S3 signatures

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Poldo,
I did have the AV's with spikes, but unfortunately, as mentioned, in my previous post they just weren't suited to my listening room. An undoubted quality loud speaker though.

A

Anonymous

Not so risk,I think most of the time we should try something new.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Poldo, I did have the AV's with spikes, but unfortunately, as mentioned, in my previous post they just weren't suited to my listening room. An undoubted quality loud speaker though.

I am sorry, I overlooked it.

7,5 feet = 2,2 meters wide that's is very narrow. Did you ever tried the smaller audiovector k-serie?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
poldo said:
Macspur said:
Hi Poldo, I did have the AV's with spikes, but unfortunately, as mentioned, in my previous post they just weren't suited to my listening room. An undoubted quality loud speaker though.

I am sorry, I overlooked it.

7,5 feet = 2,2 meters wide that's is very narrow. Did you ever tried the smaller audiovector k-serie?

Must confess, no afraid not. Tried many others though in my search for a suitable speaker... ProAc, PMC, Usher and Mark&Daniel... the latter was a very nice speaker, the cabinet being made of a compound marble.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts