Audio system for newb

avnewb

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking to get a audio system together, and I think I need some advice on what components would serve my needs best. I've been only seriously looking at this for a couple of weeks or so, so please forgive any glaring mistakes or ridiculous ideas.

:)

The money I'm willing to spend (next to the money already spent of course...) would be around 1000 euros.

I currently imagine I want the following components:

- amplifier (to connect to speakers, turntable, and existing shabby CD player)

- speakers (book shelf)

- turntable (starter table)

I already have the following components:

- DAC

- headphone amplifier

- headphones

My musical tastes range from classical music to metal by way of pop and dance, so that is probably not very helpful...

:)

For the amplifier, I've been looking at the Marantz (PM6005 is too expensive where I live, 549 euros, but the PM5004 might already be good enough for me), Rotel (RA-10 mostly), Denon PMA-720AE, and the NAD C316BEE. For the speakers, I've honestly only been looking at the Dali Zensor 3's, as they look good (to me), and they seem to be getting favorable reviews. For the turntable, I've been looking at the Pro-ject Debut Carbon (this one has my preference), and the Renga RP1.

Please let me know if this is not enough information to give recommendations on! And thanks in advance.

:cheers:

matthewpiano

I'd recommend the Denon PMA720AE amp. Pretty much as good as the Marantz PM6005 but, for some reason, always relatively cheap to buy though of course it doesn't have the digital inputs of the Marantz (which you don't need as you have a DAC already). Unlike the NAD, the Denon has a very decent phono stage for the turntable too. You would have to add an out-board one to the NAD.

The Denon works really well with the Dali Zensor 3s too and your turntable choices are spot on. Between the Rega and Pro-ject it is more a matter of preference but I think at that price level I would be more inclined towards the Pro-ject.

If you ever feel the need to buy a new CD player the matching Denon DCD720AE is excellent.

avnewb

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I've been looking at the Denon you suggested, and there's this thing that is putting me off it. On one of the retailers site's, it has the following about the Denon PMA-720AE (in Dutch, own translation below):

"Advanced push-pull circuit dat zorgt voor een op de Europese markt afgestemde klank"

"Advanced push-pull circuit that creates a sound geared towards the European market"

Now, what would that mean? Do Europeans have some preference for a certain sound? And if so, what would this sound be? And how is it an amplifier is able to "create a sound"? Perhaps I'm too much of a newb.

:eek:

Then two other questions. Firstly, about the pricing for the Denon. Why is it that the Denon PMA-720AE is priced at 269 euro's, for phono stage, 2x50W, a pre-out, and a remote control, whereas the Marantz PM6005 is priced at 549 euro's, for phono stage, 2X45W, no pre-out, a remote control, and an integrated DAC. Would the DAC be the price difference? It seems like a pretty steep price difference for a DAC. Compare the Denon to the Rotel RA-10, and you get a phono stage, 2x40W, a pre-out, no remote, no DAC, and yet it is priced at 399 euro's.

:huh:

Secondly, about the phono stages in the Rotel RA-10, the Marantz PM 6005, and the Denon PMA-720AE. On the Rotel RA-10 review here on whathifi.com, it explicitly states that the phono stage is very good. Since I'd be spending around 380 euro's on a turntable, I don't really want to be stuck with an amplifier that has a slightly disappointing phono stage. Would you recommend the Rotel as well, or do you think I would simply not be able to hear the difference? I'm (probably completely unnecessarily so) worried I will not get "into" the vinyl as much, if my phono stage is not quite cutting it. Or perhaps it is better to get a dedicated phono stage, in which case the NAD would come into the picture again.

Thanks again for the help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts