MaxvdB

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

I am a student from the Netherlands and I am doing a school project with a company. The project idea is that we make an audio switch. The idea is that the audio switch has to switch between 12 inputs (12 amps) and 4 pairs of speakers with the choice of 2 subs. So we can quickly switch between the amps, speakers and subs. Our initial idea is to make it with relais. We want the least possible loss in audio quality. Does anyone have any idea of how we can make it and what we can use best.

The speaker switch is made for:
amps like: Hegel H190
speakers like: Kef R7

Hello,

I am a student from the Netherlands and I am doing a school project with a company. The project idea is that we make an audio switch. The idea is that the audio switch has to switch between 12 inputs (12 amps) and 4 pairs of speakers with the choice of 2 subs. So we can quickly switch between the amps, speakers and subs. Our initial idea is to make it with relais. We want the least possible loss in audio quality. Does anyone have any idea of how we can make it and what we can use best.

The speaker switch is made for:
amps like: Hegel H190
speakers like: Kef R7
I think you are going to have to do more research on websites that are more suited to answering your questions rather than this forum.
Switches of this nature are generally avoided in a hifi system.

podknocker

There's a company called Pyle, based in the US and they make 4 way switches, for several sets of speakers. I'm not sure how you would connect 12 amps though.

I agree these things should be avoided in any HIFI setup, as they will degrade the signal.

They were used in my local HIFI shop years ago, to quickly demo speakers, but I'm sure they did nothing for the sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Welcome to the forum Max.
It's true what they say, that the best quality switch is no switch.
But, like you, I had a specific need for switching.
When you make your own, you can customise it using different switches and poles to route things where you want them.

Below are a few photos of my own effort from 34 years ago - to give you a few ideas - or make you think twice 😆

You will do what you need, but so you can follow it....in my case I wanted any 1 of 6 inputs to go directly (and only) to output A, or for any input to go to B and/or C (see how specific you can make what you want).

Note that all the wires from switches to sockets are all individually screened to minimise crosstalk between channels.

A push switch delatches the selected one.
The rotary switches (made by a company called Lorlin) are available in different configurations. The ones on my box (and best for you) switch 2 poles, 6 ways.

Finally, it helps to draw a plan - I put mine on the bottom - without it I forget what I made it for 😆

Good luck with your specific version 👍
IMG_20230426_151514_MP.jpg
IMG_20230426_151605_MP.jpg
IMG_20230426_152426_MP.jpg
IMG_20230426_152325_MP.jpg
IMG_20230426_152032_MP.jpg

MaxvdB

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
There's a company called Pyle, based in the US and they make 4 way switches, for several sets of speakers. I'm not sure how you would connect 12 amps though.

I agree these things should be avoided in any HIFI setup, as they will degrade the signal.

They were used in my local HIFI shop years ago, to quickly demo speakers, but I'm sure they did nothing for the sound.

Thank you, I will look into It!

MaxvdB

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Max.
It's true what they say, that the best quality switch is no switch.
But, like you, I had a specific need for switching.
When you make your own, you can customise it using different switches and poles to route things where you want them.

Below are a few photos of my own effort from 34 years ago - to give you a few ideas - or make you think twice 😆

You will do what you need, but so you can follow it....in my case I wanted any 1 of 6 inputs to go directly (and only) to output A, or for any input to go to B and/or C (see how specific you can make what you want).

Note that all the wires from switches to sockets are all individually screened to minimise crosstalk between channels.

A push switch delatches the selected one.
The rotary switches (made by a company called Lorlin) are available in different configurations. The ones on my box (and best for you) switch 2 poles, 6 ways.

Finally, it helps to draw a plan - I put mine on the bottom - without it I forget what I made it for 😆

Good luck with your specific version 👍
View attachment 4653
View attachment 4654
View attachment 4655
View attachment 4656
View attachment 4657

Thank you for your reply. That is a good looking switch! Good that you note the cables that are layed apart. I will take notes of how you made your switch. I will definitley keep this in mind!😁

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS