Audio for two rooms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

I see lots of answers so you have probably already been told this. Assuming the two rooms are close enough to run speaker wire the easiest option is an amp with that can run two sets of speakers. This is exactly what I do between living room and adjacent kitchen.

It isn't an all in one system, but the Marantz PM6007 does the job. Rather than toggle between A and B, both A and B have their own on/off button so you can play either set of speakers, or both at the same time.

Reactions: Gray

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
Dear all,
After considerations I decided to change a bit my plans. 800€ are not enough to do what I want in a proper way. I decided for the moment to keep my old amplifier (a yamaha rx-v340rds) and buy only two speakers and a cheap bluray reader (to use it also to read CDs and mp3 files) and wait for the rest.
I join the plan of the concerned part of my flat. The lenghts are expressed in meters. I have a videoprojector and the couch is just under it. The idea is to have two speakers directed toward the couch (for movies and music) and other two speakers in the adjacent zone to be able to listen to music also there.
I added red squares where I planned to mount the speakers. So, first question: are the positions good?
Second question: which speakers I can buy for 200-300€ each pair? I prefer new, but I can consider refurbished or second hand. What about the Magnat s30?
Third question: for the moment I will not buy a subwoofer. So the speakers should have good basses. But in case, where should I place the subwoofer?
Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• Plan.jpg
    Plan.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: ijohn

ijohn

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Dear all,
After considerations I decided to change a bit my plans. 800€ are not enough to do what I want in a proper way. I decided for the moment to keep my old amplifier (a yamaha rx-v340rds) and buy only two speakers and a cheap bluray reader (to use it also to read CDs and mp3 files) and wait for the rest....
I applaud your restraint. It can be hard to do, but sometimes the best plan is to build more slowly and get quality instead of buying a lot of lower quality stuff that will eventually need to be replaced. And your current Yamaha receiver already allows for two set of A/B main speakers. (Although the speaker terminals on the B set don't look too great. Oh well... all things in time.)

This article suggests the Elac Debut B5.2.
With the front port they should be relatively forgiving in terms of placement. And you can get them on Amazon, so you can return if you don't care for them. (Speakers, in particular, are highly listener dependent. They are like wine and art: it doesn't matter how highly reviewed they are if YOU don't enjoy them.)
Also highly related are the current and previous Klipsch RP-600M. New, they are outside your budget. But since they are so widely sold, you might be able to find them used inside your budget.

Good luck!

Fandango Andy

Dear all,
After considerations I decided to change a bit my plans. 800€ are not enough to do what I want in a proper way. I decided for the moment to keep my old amplifier (a yamaha rx-v340rds) and buy only two speakers and a cheap bluray reader (to use it also to read CDs and mp3 files) and wait for the rest.
I join the plan of the concerned part of my flat. The lenghts are expressed in meters. I have a videoprojector and the couch is just under it. The idea is to have two speakers directed toward the couch (for movies and music) and other two speakers in the adjacent zone to be able to listen to music also there.
I added red squares where I planned to mount the speakers. So, first question: are the positions good?
Second question: which speakers I can buy for 200-300€ each pair? I prefer new, but I can consider refurbished or second hand. What about the Magnat s30?
Third question: for the moment I will not buy a subwoofer. So the speakers should have good basses. But in case, where should I place the subwoofer?
Thank you very much for your help.
In an ideal world speakers perform much better away from walls. Can you bring the ones by the screen closer together? Also is your amp an AV receiver, and is it going to be mainly be for TV/movies? If so a the adition of a center speaker will make a massive difference.

Fos speakers in this price bracket I would look at Mission, Triangle and Q Acoustics.

As for the second room if that is for music, Google speaker placement. You ideally want a about a metre from the back and side walls. As for spacing imagine a triangle were the speakers are a similar distance apart to the distance from the speakers to the listening position.

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
Thank you very much for your answer.

I applaud your restraint. It can be hard to do, but sometimes the best plan is to build more slowly and get quality instead of buying a lot of lower quality stuff that will eventually need to be replaced. And your current Yamaha receiver already allows for two set of A/B main speakers. (Although the speaker terminals on the B set don't look too great. Oh well... all things in time.)

I tried to find the A+B mode, but it seems that I can only select A or B.

This article suggests the Elac Debut B5.2.
With the front port they should be relatively forgiving in terms of placement. And you can get them on Amazon, so you can return if you don't care for them. (Speakers, in particular, are highly listener dependent. They are like wine and art: it doesn't matter how highly reviewed they are if YOU don't enjoy them.)
Also highly related are the current and previous Klipsch RP-600M. New, they are outside your budget. But since they are so widely sold, you might be able to find them used inside your budget.

Good luck!

I can't find the Elac in France (where I live). It seems that they are out of stock everywhere. And, indeed, the Kliipsch seem too expsensive. I saw the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, but it seems that they lack a bit of basses, which could be problem because, at least for the moment, they will not be coupled with a subwoofer. Do you have alternatives ?

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
In an ideal world speakers perform much better away from walls. Can you bring the ones by the screen closer together? Also is your amp an AV receiver, and is it going to be mainly be for TV/movies? If so a the adition of a center speaker will make a massive difference.

I'd like to add a central speaker, but it would be in the middle of the living room. I was considering ceiling mounting, it seems that the result would be bad to hear.

The speakers closer to the screen will be placed on shelfs wall-mounted, so they will be close to the wall and at about 2.1 mt from the floor. Do you think the result will still be enjoyable?

Thank you for your help.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

You need an amplifier with two sets of terminals that can be switch A or B or A+B, looking at the manual the Marantz PM6007 can do this and its a well respected brand, you can even get a matching CD player.

Beware though most if not all stereo amps will require 8ohm speakers or above when running two speaker outputs simultaneously.
My Rotel A12 can also select among A, B, and A+B output: that handles his first aim. It's the second aim that would require input 1 (Gil's movie) playing through A, for instance, and input 2 (Gil's music) playing simultaneously through both A+B. Mine could not, and I doubt that the Marantz or other integrateds could.

Two systems are needed, I believe, though I'd love to learn otherwise even if I have no need for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
My Rotel A12 can also select among A, B, and A+B output: that handles his first aim. It's the second aim that would require input 1 (Gil's movie) playing through A, for instance, and input 2 (Gil's music) playing simultaneously through both A+B. Mine could not, and I doubt that the Marantz or other integrateds could.

Two systems are needed, I believe, though I'd love to learn otherwise even if I have no need for it.

Indeed I will never need to play two different things with speakers A and B. What I need is just to watch movies using only speakers A and listen to music with speakers A, B or A+B (in which case the music would be the same). Isn't the A+B option designed for this? I don't need to play two different things through A and B simultaneously.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Indeed I will never need to play two different things with speakers A and B. What I need is just to watch movies using only speakers A and listen to music with speakers A, B or A+B (in which case the music would be the same). Isn't the A+B option designed for this? I don't need to play two different things through A and B simultaneously.
Certainly, on your A+B question here. It was your original "at the same time" that I read as the challenge you were posing. To extend your first sentence here: you can't play two different things "at the same time" through any speaker option with any single integrated I know.

BTW, I only have 60 wpc and I don't worry about driving both my 8-ohm and 5-ohm speakers simultaneously and beautifully for hours. I do have a small, slim USB-connected/powered fan running on top of the Rotel, but it never gets more than a little warm.

ijohn

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Thank you very much for your answer.

I tried to find the A+B mode, but it seems that I can only select A or B.

I can't find the Elac in France (where I live). It seems that they are out of stock everywhere. And, indeed, the Kliipsch seem too expsensive. I saw the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, but it seems that they lack a bit of basses, which could be problem because, at least for the moment, they will not be coupled with a subwoofer. Do you have alternatives ?
Sorry if I misunderstood your A/B dilemna. I thought you would be listening in one room OR the other. And as others replied, I don't know of any receivers that can do A and B simultaneously with two different sources. For your living room, maybe you'll be best served eventually going with some powered speakers that you can stream directly to. Food for thought.

I'm in the States, so sorry I can't be much help. I tried to Google "best speakers for 300 euro available in France" but the results weren't too great. Maybe you'll have better luck finding French options googling from a French IP address. Whatever you find, I stand by your first choice being speakers you can return if you're unhappy.

Bon chance!

Fandango Andy

I'd like to add a central speaker, but it would be in the middle of the living room. I was considering ceiling mounting, it seems that the result would be bad to hear.

The speakers closer to the screen will be placed on shelfs wall-mounted, so they will be close to the wall and at about 2.1 mt from the floor. Do you think the result will still be enjoyable?

Thank you for your help.

Given the height of the speakers I would definitely want a centre speaker. As you describe this a been in the middle of the room, I take it the scree is pull down not permanent. Therefor could you have a centre speaker on a small table that could be moved to the side when not in use?

Fandango Andy

I thought the Stereo 70 could play speakers A or B and A+B??
I just looked this up as I was surprised. looks like SallyB is correct it is an either or switch on the Stereo 70. The PM6007 still has a separate on/off button for each set of speakers as has been the norm for Marantz for years. This allows both sets to play at the same time.

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
Sorry if I misunderstood your A/B dilemna. I thought you would be listening in one room OR the other. And as others replied, I don't know of any receivers that can do A and B simultaneously with two different sources. For your living room, maybe you'll be best served eventually going with some powered speakers that you can stream directly to. Food for thought.

You didn't misunderstood. I will need only the following setups :
1) One source/output A;
2) One source/output B;
3) One source/output A+B.
Probably it's because of my poor english, I am sorry.

By the way. I've seen that many A/B amplifiers allow all the three options, while mine allow only 1 and 2.

I'm in the States, so sorry I can't be much help. I tried to Google "best speakers for 300 euro available in France" but the results weren't too great. Maybe you'll have better luck finding French options googling from a French IP address. Whatever you find, I stand by your first choice being speakers you can return if you're unhappy.

Bon chance!

Thank you very much for your help. If you want to have an idea of what we can find in France, you can use a price finder like this : https://www.idealo.fr/cat/2021/enceintes.html?q=enceintes&qd=enceintes . You just need to select the makers ("fabricant") at the left.

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
I just looked this up as I was surprised. looks like SallyB is correct it is an either or switch on the Stereo 70. The PM6007 still has a separate on/off button for each set of speakers as has been the norm for Marantz for years. This allows both sets to play at the same time.
Just to muddy the stereo 70s question further, there are two statements in the manual:

“This system enables switching playback between speakers A and B as desired.”
Pict AmpAssign 2.1 FB

Followed immediately by:

“CAUTION:
Set speaker impedance to “4ohms” before performing simultaneous playback from speakers A and B”

If it can do simultaneous as well, the manual doesn’t seem to enlighten as to how!

However, interestingly I read elsewhere in the manual that you can run a cable from the 70s into a power amp with speakers in another room and use the 70s zone 2 function to play tv and music simultaneously across both rooms. I assume though that this isn’t unique in the world of Marantz! Great piece of kit btw, but I may have mentioned that!😀

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
Given the height of the speakers I would definitely want a centre speaker. As you describe this a been in the middle of the room, I take it the scree is pull down not permanent. Therefor could you have a centre speaker on a small table that could be moved to the side when not in use?

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
What do you think about the Polk ES15/ES20 ? They seem very good, especially the ES20, since I would use them without sub...

Juzzie Wuzzie

Just posting here in case it helps anyone with the A/B speaker connundrum ... but Fosi seem to have recently released an A/B speaker and A/B amplifier switcher and VU meter contraption which could solve for certain circumstances.

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
Dear all,
I have the possibility to buy a marantz pm6006 for 250€ in perfect conditions. This amplifier does have the possibility to drive A+B speakers.
The questions are :
- is 250€ a good price for the marantz ?
- does it have enough power to drive two pairs of Polk ES20 ?
Thank you very much

Fandango Andy

Dear all,
I have the possibility to buy a marantz pm6006 for 250€ in perfect conditions. This amplifier does have the possibility to drive A+B speakers.
The questions are :
- is 250€ a good price for the marantz ?
- does it have enough power to drive two pairs of Polk ES20 ?
Thank you very much
Not sure on price, the going rate will be unique to your location. I belive they sell for £150 to £200 in the UK. You can get the newer version the 6007 for £399 from Amazon.

You should be fine for power. The important thing with running two sets of speakers at the same time is not to use speakers with lower nominal impedance. The Polk you mention appear to 8ohms, wich is fine.

If you look on the Marantz website, you can download manuals for most of their products including ones no longer available.

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
You can get the newer version the 6007 for £399 from Amazon.
Is the 6007 noticeably better than the 6006 ? Here in France i can find the 6007 new for not les than 600€ which is too much.

Otherwise I can find a denon avr x3300w for abour 300€. With the marantz I should also buy a BT adapter and use the optical/coaxial connections for wathching TV etc, while with the Denon I wouold be ok. Is it a good price for the Denon ? How it would sound against the marantz ? I keep reading that the marantz amplifiers sound "warmer" than most of the others...

Thank you for your help

DCarmi

I have the 6006, since 2017 and it is a good amp in its category. The 6007 will be better. It has better S/N figures, which is a weakness in the 6006 and support for a sub-woofer, if that is important to you. They also replaced the loudness button with a filter button, not that I think the filters make much difference.

So the answer, is yes, it is a better amp. How much you'd notice, I am not sure and whether it is 350 Euros better, only you can decide. You will get warranty with the new 6007.

I don't know anything about the Denon but it did get good reviews, back in the day. Denon and Marantz come from the same stable but generally a similarly priced amp will perform better than an AVR, because the AVR has many extra components to include in the price. It depends really one whether music or TV is more important to you.

Rather than a Bluetooth device, I'd look at one of the Wiim devices, particularly the Pro or Pro Plus. They have Bluetooth, transmitter and receiver and Chromecast, Airplay and support for most streaming services. I'm running a Wiim Pro through the 6006 Co-axial and recommend it. You'd still have 2 optical ports to connect TV etc to.

I have a Wiim Mini connected to another system and it is OK, as long as you don't need Chromecast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts