Audio amplifier vs Av amplifier

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What I meant was on ebay they are £460. A shop might price match that fot a walnut one.

Its good they sell them in singles otherwise how would you buy 3?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to see someone who watches Tarkovsky and Bergman kind of films to invest in high priced HT setup. It's always fans of Batman, CIA and such. So the argument how these people are film art afficionados doesn't fly with me.

Do I need my anus vibrated at 18Hz to enjoy Daren Aronofsky's "Pi" as a movie or as a Clint Mansel OST?

Do I need 80" screen to watch The Big Bang Theory.

Why do you need high quality hi-fi to listen to rock, metal, grunge, rap? Isn't the whole point of it to sound shitty, loud and rebelious?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I have yet to see someone who watches Tarkovsky and Bergman kind of films to invest in high priced HT setup. It's always fans of Batman, CIA and such. So the argument how these people are film art afficionados doesn't fly with me.

Do I need my anus vibrated at 18Hz to enjoy Daren Aronofsky's "Pi" as a movie or as a Clint Mansel OST?

Why do you need high quality hi-fi to listen to rock, metal, grunge, rap? Isn't the whole point of it to sound shitty, loud and rebelious?
going by what http://www.audioholics.com/ say in some of there Av amplifier videos for the last 2 years they have been putting more ,more features on theses home cinema Av amplifiers but putting smaller power supply's in these Av amplifiers so when they are pushed they start to clip which effects the lower end of the Yamaha range right up to the Yamaha Av 860 . It starts getting better when you get to the Yamaha Av 1060 right to the flagship model the Av 3060

as for 5 or so years ago they used to make them with bigger power supply's to cater for people who wanted the best of both worlds good for music as well as films but now Yamaha has realized that people want separated hifi and not all in a all in one box job .

so I am starting to think it's not worth it because to get quality I would have to spend £1000-2000 to have a distant power supply that will cope with what ever I want to do with it .

i could go pros +power amp that why things are run probably but this would workout more money then the Yamaha Av 3060 it's crazy so I might forget it which is a shame .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

going by what http://www.audioholics.com/ say in some of there Av amplifier videos for the last 2 years they have been putting more ,more features on theses home cinema Av amplifiers but putting smaller power supply's in these Av amplifiers so when they are pushed they start to clip which effects the lower end of the Yamaha range right up to the Yamaha Av 860 . It starts getting better when you get to the Yamaha Av 1060 right to the flagship model the Av 3060

as for 5 or so years ago they used to make them with bigger power supply's to cater for people who wanted the best of both worlds good for music as well as films but now Yamaha has realized that people want separated hifi and not all in a all in one box job  .

so I am starting to think it's not worth it because to get quality I would have to spend £1000-2000 to have a distant power supply that will cope with what ever I want to do with it .

i could go pros +power amp that why things are run probably but this would workout more money then the Yamaha Av 3060 it's crazy so I might forget it which is a shame .

Your existing yamaha 2100 will be taking over the power of the main front speakers so will be less strain on the av amp.

You can even configure the yamaha av amp to bi-amp the centre channel and the surrounds take little power so just a cheaper av will do.

Id go for the 50 series as they have most of the up to date features for future proof spec and are cheaper.

Peter tyson is where i got mine for only £1100 nd that was rx-a3050

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

going by what http://www.audioholics.com/ say in some of there Av amplifier videos for the last 2 years they have been putting more ,more features on theses home cinema Av amplifiers but putting smaller power supply's in these Av amplifiers so when they are pushed they start to clip which effects the lower end of the Yamaha range right up to the Yamaha Av 860 . It starts getting better when you get to the Yamaha Av 1060 right to the flagship model the Av 3060

as for 5 or so years ago they used to make them with bigger power supply's to cater for people who wanted the best of both worlds good for music as well as films but now Yamaha has realized that people want separated hifi and not all in a all in one box job .

Your existing yamaha 2100 will be taking over the power of the main front speakers so will be less strain on the av amp.

You can even configure the yamaha av amp to bi-amp the centre channel and the surrounds take little power so just a cheaper av will do.

Id go for the 50 series as they have most of the up to date features for future proof spec and are cheaper.

+1

Front L/R and sub is where all the power goes to. So if you use a powered sub and drive your Dali 8s with the Yamaha 2100, the AVR will have easiest job on planet Earth.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
This is the video which put me off https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qeAqtvP-Iwc

That applies for all AVRs with shared PSU for 5+ channels.

If you have ambitions and expectations, then you stack power amps and controll them with a surround processor pre amp.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

If you have ambitions and expectations, then you stack power amps and controll them with a surround processor pre amp.
which if you go that route processor + Pre - amplifier so does the price which then your knocking on the door of the Yamaha Av 3060 £2000 *wacko*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think your overthinking it.

I also think your better off buying a well looked after used unit of a higher spec than a new unit of lower spec for the same money if your worried.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

which if you go that route processor + Pre - amplifier so does the price which then your knocking on the door of the Yamaha Av 3060 £2000 *wacko*

Behringer A500 (£155) x 5 = £755

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

Yamaha AV 3060 has a smaller PSU than one of those 5 Behringers.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

I liked the look of the pre from Emotiva I had a look around but could not find anywhere in the U.K. Where they sell theses as I think they are made in the United States but know they have a accurate room correction software more accurate then what Yamaha uses .

in regards of the behringer I am not sure what that is but my guess is that's a power amplifier but when I googled it came up with something that's used in musical instruments .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
This is the video which put me off https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qeAqtvP-Iwc    

which if you go that route processor + Pre - amplifier so does the price which then your knocking on the door of the Yamaha  Av 3060 £2000 *wacko*

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

I liked the look of the pre from Emotiva I had a look around but could not find anywhere in the U.K. Where they sell theses as I think they are made in the United States  but know they have a accurate room correction software more accurate then what Yamaha uses .

in regards of the behringer I am not sure what that is but my guess is that's a power amplifier but when I googled it came up with something that's used in musical instruments .

Sorry bs
I never meant to side track you with the emotiva pre.

I still think personally you much better off going with a cheaper yamaha av.

I think the emotiva is great
Dont get me wrong but not for a simple/cheap solution just for av duties.

Imo dont get too much caught up with all the specs.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

I liked the look of the pre from Emotiva I had a look around but could not find anywhere in the U.K. Where they sell theses as I think they are made in the United States but know they have a accurate room correction software more accurate then what Yamaha uses .

Sorry bs I never meant to side track you with the emotiva pre.

I think the emotiva is great Dont get me wrong but not for a simple/cheap solution just for av duties.

so when you had your Hagal and connected it with the Yamaha Av amplifier to run the main L+R when you went to turn the volume up on the Av amplifier did the volume follow on the Hagal .

and when you went to set the levels on the Av amplifier does the Av amplifier take notice of the L+Rs in the setup menu .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

which if you go that route processor + Pre - amplifier so does the price which then your knocking on the door of the Yamaha  Av 3060 £2000 *wacko*

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

I liked the look of the pre from Emotiva I had a look around but could not find anywhere in the U.K. Where they sell theses as I think they are made in the United States  but know they have a accurate room correction software more accurate then what Yamaha uses .

I think the emotiva is great Dont get me wrong but not for a simple/cheap solution just for av duties.

so when you had your Hagal and connected it with the Yamaha Av amplifier to run the main L+R when you went to turn the volume up on the Av amplifier did the volume follow on the Hagal  .

and when you went to set the levels on the Av amplifier does the Av amplifier take notice of the L+Rs in the setup menu .

No the yamaha av pre out was connected to the hegels home theatre bypass rca

So when this is selected the hegels volume was at full (85/100)

So the yamaha controlled the volume.

Im sure yours works the same. Its just called something else.

On the hegel you can also configure the home theatre bypass to work as a normal rca variable volume(not fixed)

And for the 2nd question:
Yes once connected correct the av amp will work as normal and recognise the front speakers normally.

Its all very easy once you see it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

so when you had your Hagal and connected it with the Yamaha Av amplifier to run the main L+R when you went to turn the volume up on the Av amplifier did the volume follow on the Hagal .

On the hegel you can also configure the home theatre bypass to work as a normal rca variable volume(not fixed)

And for the 2nd question: Yes once connected correct the av amp will work as normal and recognise the front speakers normally.

so if your Hegel volume was at full would this not make the Hegel over heat ? Or have I got this wrong .

so basically I do not have to spend loads on a Av as long as the Av amplifier has pre-outs to connect too

because my 2100 will be doing most of the work running the L+R and the Av running center , backs , sub

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

so when you had your Hagal and connected it with the Yamaha Av amplifier to run the main L+R when you went to turn the volume up on the Av amplifier did the volume follow on the Hagal  .

And for the 2nd question: Yes once connected correct the av amp will work as normal and recognise the front speakers normally.

so if your Hegel volume was at full would this not make the Hegel over heat ? Or have I got this wrong .

so basically I do not have to spend loads on a Av as long as the Av amplifier has pre-outs to connect too

because my 2100 will be doing most of the work running the L+R and the Av running center , backs , sub 
Nothing overheats dont worry
there are 2 volume controls remember. And the av amp is not at full power setting.

Think of your yamaha 2100 acting solely as a power amp and the new av amp acting just as the preamp. (For the 2 front speakers)

If the power amp is not set on full then the calibration or balance between the rest of the channels will go out all the time. So when you are watching movies all the speakers go louder or softer together.

If it didnt work like that youd have to set it manualy yourslef each time which is not a problem but more of a pain.

Even if your amp.does.not have a dedicated home theatre bypass function you.can still get it to.work.but you.will have to.set the volume on the stereo amp manually.

I have not looked but i bet yours has one.

So to recap dont worry nothing will blow up or damage/overheat.

Once you have set it all up it will seem easy, i promise.

If i lived closer id come help you set it all up but dont worry its as easy as plugging in a cd player.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

Nothing overheats dont worry there are 2 volume controls remember. And the av amp is not at full power setting.

Think of your yamaha 2100 acting solely as a power amp and the new av amp acting just as the preamp. (For the 2 front speakers)

If the power amp is not set on full then the calibration or balance between the rest of the channels will go out all the time. So when you are watching movies all the speakers go louder or softer together.

If it didnt work like that youd have to set it manualy yourslef each time which is not a problem but more of a pain.

Even if your amp.does.not have a dedicated home theatre bypass function you.can still get it to.work.but you.will have to.set the volume on the stereo amp manually.

If i lived closer id come help you set it all up but dont worry its as easy as plugging in a cd player.
mines got main direct and pre -outs so I am fine there so it will work for me

I just do not want the volume on the A-S2100 to be on max volume that's all so what ever volume I have on the Av amplifier the A-S2100 will match the Av amplifier

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Emotiva XMC-1 = £1,300

TOTAL = £2,055

Nothing overheats dont worry there are 2 volume controls remember. And the av amp is not at full power setting.

mines got main direct and pre -outs so I am fine there so it will work for me 

I just do not want the volume on the A-S2100 to be on max volume that's all so what ever volume I have on the Av amplifier the A-S2100 will match the Av amplifier 

Maybe someone can explain better than me but the av controls the volume and the yamaha stereo 2100 acts purely as a power amp.

Just think if you used a power amp that has no volume control on - exactly the same thing.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Imagine using 5 Leema Pulse amps for surround!

It would probably open a timespace wormhole in your livingroom.

1292807417984555110.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts