Audio amplifier vs Av amplifier

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have asked this on the home cinema thread that I started but need more input form the audio section

i want a home cinema amplifier but do not want to get rid of my Yamaha A-S2100 as I like it very much as I am more into my music then anything but was hoping I could do both .

is it possible to do both as I have been told I could run the main L+Rs on the A-S2100 then use pre-outs to the Av amplifier but been told this can be messy and it's better to get rid of my Yamaha A-S2100 and buy a high end Av amplifier which for me would be the Yamaha 3060 which is £2000 .

i am not happy to part from my Yamaha A-S2100 just to get a home cinema I would rather not bother if this is the case but are home cinema amplifiers like the Yamaha 3060 just as good at music as my Yamaha A-S2100 is because I know the build not going to be the same as my amplifier .

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I have asked this on the home cinema thread that I started but need more input form the audio section

i want a home cinema amplifier but do not want to get rid of my Yamaha A-S2100 as I like it very much as I am more into my music then anything but was hoping I could do both .

is it possible to do both as I have been told I could run the main L+Rs on the A-S2100 then use pre-outs to the Av amplifier but been told this can be messy and it's better to get rid of my Yamaha A-S2100 and buy a high end Av amplifier which for me would be the Yamaha 3060 which is £2000 .

i am not happy to part from my Yamaha A-S2100 just to get a home cinema I would rather not bother if this is the case but are home cinema amplifiers like the Yamaha 3060 just as good at music as my Yamaha A-S2100 is because I know the build not going to be the same as my amplifier .

Unless you have enough room to cope with extra speakers (extra expense too!) why would you bother when you have such a good amp - I play my tv and blu-ray through my hifi and 2 speakers - sounds excellent..

It would have to be some av amp to better what you have already.

cheers tonky

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
tonky said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Unless you have enough room to cope with extra speakers (extra expense too!) why would you bother when you have such a good amp - I play my tv and blu-ray through my hifi and 2 speakers - sounds excellent..

It would have to be some av amp to better what you have already.

cheers tonky
I kind of agree with you

I did not want to go silly In getting a Av amplifier and spending silly money just to make this happen as I would only use a 5.1 setup if I did go for one which the Yamaha 3060 is overkill for my needs .

but I do not feel confident in thinking that a Av amplifier will give me the same music quality as my Yamaha A-S2100 does .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I did the same with hegel.h360.and yamaha 3050

Used the ht bypass and used pre out on yamaha 3050

Worked great.

What you.need to check.is if your yamaha 2100 has an av bypass?
When you.select the av bypass it puts the 2100 close to full power then the av controls the volume for movies.

This way you.have best of both worlds and get to.keep your stereo untouched by av

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I did the same with hegel.h360.and yamaha 3050

Used the ht bypass and used pre out on yamaha 3050

Worked great.

What you.need to check.is if your yamaha 2100 has an av bypass? When you.select the av bypass it puts the 2100 close to full power then the av controls the volume for movies.

This way you.have best of both worlds and get to.keep your stereo untouched by av
hi Andrew

i will have to find my instructions and find out if it would that will be good if it does

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I've got some connections on the back of the amplifier that says main-in which the instructions say is for use of a pre-amplifier or a Av amplifier which fixes the volume and I have pre-out jacks too

is this what your talking about ?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
More expense for sure but you might think about adding a three channel power amp to your Yamaha.

But then again it may be cheaper and more worthwhile to keep the two systems completely separate.

If he does that will still need av pre amp or processor so easier just to buy an av amp with pre outs.
Does not have to be the best available

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
More expense for sure but you might think about adding a three channel power amp to your Yamaha.

But then again it may be cheaper and more worthwhile to keep the two systems completely separate.

If he does that will still need av pre amp or processor so easier just to buy an av amp with pre outs. Does not have to be the best available
it's says main where the Av amplifier will go but it's not called Av bypass

but basically it says when the power of the connected component is turned on this unit turns on and the input is set to main direct automatically.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Waste of time, money and space just to watch Hollywood garbage. I'd rather go out to the cinema to watch a movie properly. For casual watching a phone/tablet/laptop is good enough.

Buy your wife jewelry instead.

abacus

Blacksabbath25 said:
I've got some connections on the back of the amplifier that says main-in which the instructions say is for use of a pre-amplifier or a Av amplifier which fixes the volume and I have pre-out jacks too

Different manufactures use different descriptions, but main in will be fine, as the instructions say.

I still say have a listen to the Arcam & Anthem Receivers, as while they are more expensive then the Yamaha and less well endowed, when it comes to music they will blow the Yamaha 3060 out of the water. (They may even put your stereo amp to shame)

As I mentioned in your other post, pop to a local dealer and try out various combinations, (I am sure they will allow you to take your amp to compare) to see which you prefer.

Hope this helps

Bill

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Waste of time, money and space just to watch Hollywood garbage. I'd rather go out to the cinema to watch a movie properly. For casual watching a phone/tablet/laptop is good enough.

Buy your wife jewelry instead.
*lol*no thanks

i was just hoping for a basic £3-400 5.1 would do me but just trying to find out if its possable to use a Av with my amp

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
abacus said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Different manufactures use different descriptions, but main in will be fine, as the instructions say.

I still say have a listen to the Arcam & Anthem Receivers, as while they are more expensive then the Yamaha and less well endowed, when it comes to music they will blow the Yamaha 3060 out of the water. (They may even put your stereo amp to shame)

As I mentioned in your other post, pop to a local dealer and try out various combinations, (I am sure they will allow you to take your amp to compare) to see which you prefer.

Hope this helps

Bill
thanks again for replying to this thread I just needed to know on the hifi side if it was possible before I go out and start looking for one .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
You already have quality stereo set up so id not spend much on the av amp

The yamaha 3060 may be overkill for just surround and centre.

Id look at a cheaper av amp
Save some money.

I think the cheaper denon av amps are good value for the money also like the x4200avr etc

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
You already have quality stereo set up so id not spend much on the av amp

The yamaha 3060 may be overkill for just surround and centre.

Id look at a cheaper av amp Save some money.

I think the cheaper denon av amps are good value for the money also like the x4200avr etc
I am thinking about the 660 or 880 now I know I can have a Av setup to go with my A-S2100

as the advantage range have the aluminum fronts and metal casing and for the backs and the center channel the Dali LCRs

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Have you room for an extra pair of front speakers if you wanted to set up a 5.1. If yes why not put a complete different unit.

I'm not upping the actives thread but a 5.1 sorround preamp with a bunch of jbl305s was mentioned on a thread somewhere either here or on another forum. Not crazy expensive but supposedly excellent results

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
muljao said:
Have you room for an extra pair of front speakers if you wanted to set up a 5.1. If yes why not put a complete different unit.

I'm not upping the actives thread but a 5.1 sorround preamp with a bunch of jbl305s was mentioned on a thread somewhere either here or on another forum. Not crazy expensive but supposedly excellent results
what I like about the Dali LCRs they are quite flat looking ones on the wall so would not take any room up but the trouble is they are £500 each

i would still be using the opticon 8s as the L+Rs then one LCR for a center then 2 LCRs for the backs then a sub

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I had a 5.1 (albeit a very budget offering) that i removed. If your a big movie buff that will get the use out of it fair enough, if not it is not worth the time, effort, money, and extra wires and clutter of boxes.

Treat yourself to a sub, and turn it on and up when watching batman, itch scratched ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts