audica mps-1 system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi. does anybody knows this system, or better the sound of it? I got a very good option to buy it. I know, it's a simple thing but I would love to have good (?) sound in my bedroom from my ipod or powerbook. is this system a good option? thanks for help silvia

A

Anonymous

thanks! sounds great - I often (mainly) listen to classical music...
I will buy it!
silvia

A

Anonymous

I bought one of these systems from apple's web store in october of last year after hearing good things about it. They were on special offer, so I thought I'd try them out.

Out of the box, I've nothing but problems. They emit an especially loud hiss, loud enough to be extremely irritating. Surprisingly, this hiss is still present even in standby mode! This means I have to turn it off at the plug and when I do that there is an extremely loud popping noise from the speakers. It's as though the standby isn't working at all. I've been in touch with audica, they sent me out a new amplifier which didn't change anything and that seems to be the exent of their interest in this problem. Also the buttons fell out of the remote after a month.

I had a look at the customer reviews on apple's product page and many of them report similar problems (also, they seem to have all been bought at the time of the special offer!). Considering this was given an award by What Hi-Fi?, I was wondering if you have experienced similar issues? Are the problems I've described known problems or did apple offload a bunch of faulty goods under the pretense of a discount?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That really surprises me. We've had numerous models of the MPS-1 in for test and retest - plus as Andrew says, we've even got one in the office that's got to be a couple of years' old - and never encountered the problems you mention, in terms of build or performance.

Maybe it was a bad batch - i'll forward this thread onto Audica to get an official response.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, here's the response from Audica's PR:

"Having checked with Audica I am convinced that Arctor's problems were a one off, the MPS-1 has been very reliable and has delivered class-leading sound quality to its owners. I use one myself.

I've had a look at the feedback on the Apple Store and they are generally very positive.

If Arctor still has the MPS-1 he purchased I'd be delighted to arrange to get it collected and examined. We will replace it and let you know the reason for the problem.

One thing that may be important: If you turn up the volume to its highest level there is a degree of hiss from the speakers. This is normal. The input sensitivity is such that given a normal output from an iPod or computer it would be normal to have the volume control on the MPS-1 set to roughly 50%. At any volume setting less than around 90% the hiss is inaudible."

So, Arctor, if you want to take up Audica's offer, please email us via the usual address

A

Anonymous

Thanks so much for contacting them, the email's on the way.

If you take a look at the apple store there are two reviews which describe exactly the same thing, so it isn't just a one off. You can see for yourself here: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?pn=TL836&revw=TL836

Plus, Audica have already sent me out a replacement Amplifier which does exactly the same thing! And just to clarify, the hissing occurs WHEN IN STANDBY and its not down to some tragic inability to get my head around a volume control.

Thanks again.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hang on a sec... I have owned 2 sets of these. Both of them had an audible hiss even when on standby - not very loud but DEFINATELY audible but to be honest it didn't bother me. I used them connected to my computer soundcard. The first set i bought about 18 months ago at full price (£250). The second set i bought 6 months ago when Richer Sounds had them for £99 - an absolute bargain! (I bought 2 lots and flogged the others on ebay for a nice profit!). Now I have no sets. The reason - both amplifiers started emitting a much louder hiss/pop/whine/crackle/bang and so have got refunds on both of them. I am very disappointed cos i thought they sounded very very good (not quite worth £250 though but for £99 absolutely amazing value!!) I would buy a 3rd set if the price was right (Not £250). Incidently i have read on other forums about other people having the same problem with the amp...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Arctor"]They emit an especially loud hiss, loud enough to be extremely irritating. Surprisingly, this hiss is still present even in standby mode! This means I have to turn it off at the plug and when I do that there is an extremely loud popping noise from the speakers. It's as though the standby isn't working at all.[/quote]

I have the same problem with my new Audica MPS-1: speakers emit a hiss, even when the amp is in standby (Blue led on). Unplugging the power cable causes a loud pop. Will contact Audica directly and report back later.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
My third set of the audica's arrived today! OK they do hiss a bit even on standby but they do sound bloody marvellous! I'm listening to them now as I type - superb! There are still a lot of them going cheap on ebay at the moment - mine were £79.99 !! Going back to the horrible crackling/popping/whining/screeching that my last 2 amps seemed to emit - to be honest I think it was because I occasionally connected / disconnected them with the power on etc...hmm that was the problem both times....remind me not to do that with my new set!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts