Audi MMI / SD Card

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello all

I've recently bought a 2010 model Audi A6. Apparently there were a number of audio specs available on this car when originally sold, the previous owner chose CD multichanger rather than iPod interface for the MMI.

To install an iPod interface means ripping out the glovebox mounted CD changer and paying someone £200-300 to install the iPod gubbins, which I'm not overly keen on.

There is another option. The CD changer has an SD card slot which can be used for music. Now, from casual reading of the web, this seems to be very complicated and results are mixed. My iTunes library is a bit of a mishmash of formats (mp3, mp4, lossless) and I understand that not all formats are supported.

What I'm hoping for is that some forumite has been down this road (in an Audi) before - is there a simple way to transfer my iTunes library (including album art and track listings etc.) to an SD card that will "work".

Please bear in mind that I can be a bit of a luddite at times, so moron-friendly pointers much appreciated!

thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
This question is on the wrong forum really and most people wouldn't have a clue.

There are quite a few aftermarket add ons to VW Audi head units which allow iPod functionality. I have just retrofitted an A6 navigation system into my A4 and added iPod cennectivity, including charging. It's not too tricky to fit yourself. A cheap option would be an iPod FM transmitter adapter which simply clips onto your iPod connector and then acts as a transmitter which your radio picks up. That was £10.

Try the VWAudiforum and also have a look at the 'Connects2' products for starters.

What head unit do you have? The solutions will differ depending on existing connectivity.

You also might need to hook up to a VAG Com or RossTech interface to reprogram some functions (users can be found across the country on the VWAudi forum).

SD card and other info.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello, thanks all. I've got the standard unit that was issued in 2010 (not sure what it is, tho). That said, I read last night that the SD slot won't read an SDHC or SDXC card. And then, true to form, I read somewhere else that it will. I'm going to muddle through, and report back!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I use the SD card in my Audi, the sat nav device has two slots - it's fantastic having so much music available with no CD cases cluttering up the car.

Anyway I may be able to help a bit. Mine is definitely limited to using standard SD cards but it's a late 07 model so yours might handle SDHC cards as it's a bit newer. The standard cards are so cheap you could just use them or else get an SDHC card and see if it works. It will only play mp3's, the easiest is to copy and paste the mp3 files onto the card then use something like "Playlist Creator" to make playlists. That is the Windows way - Mac may be different but there must be similar software? It really is so simple to do on a laptop with a card reader.

The music you have in other formats can be transcoded using one of the freeware apps out there although going from lossy to mp3 might mean some loss of quality. I used Foobar to batch convert my flac library to 192kbps (keeping the original files obviously) into another folder. I can now just move stuff onto a few SD cards, do the playlists and pop them in the car. I get about 30 albums onto a 2Gb card.

Hope that may have been of some use.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Pauln is spot on with his advice. I have a 2010 model and it is the same. I used Mediamonkey to batch convert various files to MP3 and then dropped them onto a standard card. There are limits on size of card and number of files on one card. If memory serves, the head unit will only recognise up to 4000 files.

Good luck with it.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Pauln and jmjones, thanks a lot. Really helpful.

I bought a 64 GB SDXC card, which my laptop (5 year old Dell) scratched its head at, and meanwhile I read the instructions for my MMI and it's capped at 32GB (so SDHC) and, as you note, 4000 tracks.

I've ordered a new card. In terms of format, then, do I just plug it into my computer, drag and drop my iTunes into it and then use that "media monkey" think to convert them on the memory card to mp3? Or do I need to replicate the folders on the computer and convert them there (a slight problem as my harddrive is mostly full).

thanks

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
If the tracks are already in mp3 format, just drag and drop onto the card. If you need to convert then I'm pretty sure that you can make the SD card the destination for the converted files so you won't need to duplicate the files on your hard drive. I don't know how it works with DRM, itunes and copying files - all mine are ripped from my CD collection so I don't have that issue.

As to file structure; what I've done is create a folder on the SD card for each album with all that albums tracks in it. This makes it easier to find stuff, you could if you wanted have a folder for each artist and sub folders for albums or whatever. When you do the playlists you just select the tracks you want from the folders on the SD card, put them in order and save the playlist on the card. The title that you give to the playlist is what will appear on the screen in the car.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
ahh (and I refer to my earlier-mentioned computer illiteracy...), does this mean I need to create sub-folders and individually copy albums across, choosing whether/not to convert to mp3?

I had hoped for a magical program that would replicate everything (incl art) and take it across simply and (more importantly) in an idiot proof fashion!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
ahh (and I refer to my earlier-mentioned computer illiteracy...), does this mean I need to create sub-folders and individually copy albums across, choosing whether/not to convert to mp3?

Well' I don't know that you need sub-folders. I found some help on the Audi forum and it seems that the system (at least the 2007 version) can not browse a file structure as you would find on a computer; hence the reason for having to make playlists. I did one for each album. That means you can just select all the folders as they are on your computer and copy them en masse onto the card; provided that they are mp3's.

Then you do a whole load of playlists as you see fit - I did one for each album. The display in the car allows you to scroll through the playlists and select one or even one track from a playlist. You can select random play as well I think but I've never tried.

Big Aura said:
I had hoped for a magical program that would replicate everything (incl art) and take it across simply and (more importantly) in an idiot proof fashion!

Maybe there is one - try a Mac users forum, it is Mac software after all and I can't help you with that. I wouldn't have it anywhere near my computer to be honest.

Why do you want album art in your car?

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
Do you have the option to stream audio vis Bluetooth? if so you can buy a dongle to fit any iPod classic.

Alternativly a Parrot 9000, 9100 or 9200 will give you Bluetooth, USB and iPod conectivity (with integration to OEM steering wheel controls if fitted) or dear alternatives are available from Fiscon.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, things are never so simple:

Album art won't display in my car, and the music navigation system is a loooooong way behind an ipod! Get the passenger to do it.

On file conversion, I've used Mediamonkey and Winamp - to perform file conversions you need the paid/pro/gold version of the software. Highlight any selection of tracks, albums and artists, then use the "Send To" command (Mediamonkey). Set conversion parameters for MP3 quality, and you can output straight to the SD card if you wish. Takes a while.

You can "drag & drop" or "Cut & Paste" MP3s direct. Saves time

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
jmjones said:
and the music navigation system is a loooooong way behind an ipod! Get the passenger to do it.

Yes, tricky to do when you're driving, especially on a bumpy road.

On conversion - Foobar is free and works well but may not be so intuitive to use for someone not computer minded. You've nothing to lose by trying it though.

BTW - if your hard drive is as full as you suggest it is, the performance of your computer will suffer. Have you deleted/uninstalled any unwanted files/programmes, used the disc cleanup utility and defragmented it? If you have and it's still full, it's probably time for a bigger hard drive - they are cheap enough.

Bigfelix

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
I bought a 2007 Audi A4 a month ago and wanted use the SD slots in the Navigation system to play mp3's. I tried the SDHC cards first and it just would say "Loading" without ever allowing me to play them. On this form I found/saw that SD cards are what it needs so I bought an SD with 2GB,loaded some mp3's on it...and it just says "Loading" without and option to ever play them.On trying this out,I just put a few songs on the card..but I still just get "Loading"

You can hear a whirling/loading sound..but it nevr gets through.ANY help would be apprciated.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

jjbomber

Bigfelix said:
I bought a 2007 Audi A4 a month ago and wanted use the SD slots in the Navigation system to play mp3's. I tried the SDHC cards first and it just would say "Loading" without ever allowing me to play them. On this form I found/saw that SD cards are what it needs so I bought an SD with 2GB,loaded some mp3's on it...and it just says "Loading" without and option to ever play them.On trying this out,I just put a few songs on the card..but I still just get "Loading"

You can hear a whirling/loading sound..but it nevr gets through.ANY help would be apprciated.

Felix

I use FLAC and Wave on mine with no problems at all (2014 Q3). make sure you have formatted the card correctly, though if you have files on there you almost definitely have. Also, try playing the card back through your computer/laptop and check the songs are there are working.

If all else fails, someone at the Audi garage will know.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Bigfelix said:

Felix

I use FLAC and Wave on mine with no problems at all (2014 Q3). make sure you have formatted the card correctly, though if you have files on there you almost definitely have. Also, try playing the card back through your computer/laptop and check the songs are there are working.

Are you sure the Q3 is playing the Flac.

jjbomber

Q5 said:
jjbomber said:
Bigfelix said:

Felix

Er, no it doesn't through the SD card! Just WAV through the card. Thanks for that one. My middle name is information, but my first name is mis-.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Q5 said:

Er, no it doesn't through the SD card! Just WAV through the card. Thanks for that one. My middle name is information, but my first name is mis-.

Would be great if we could play Flac on the Q's

jjbomber

Q5 said:
Would be great if we could play Flac on the Q's

It's the Cr-Apple system that drives me mad. The old series of ipods have the blue collar lead while the new ones have the red collar lead. To make matters worse, the media connector is at the bottom of the glove box. Which idiot designed it there!

AlanS

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
The larger SD cards do work. You need to reformat them to FAT32 and they work fine. I have 2 128G cards in the slots in my Audi with my entire collection. MP3 format only.

TRENDING THREADS