Atlas Equator vs Hyper

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
:) Hi All

Before I start can I just ask the non believers of speaker cables kindly not turn this thread into another cable war. Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience of the two. I'm a bit of a cable sceptic myself but have got some Equator 2.0 on home demo at the moment and to my ears is definitely an improvement over the Silver Anniversary. There is more detail in the bass and mids.

Would the Hyper be worth the jump in cost is the question I'm asking I suppose. If there are any believers out there who have heard and or compared them I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Ed :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ed, can you mooch some off a dealer for a trial. I suspect you will notice a difference, and if you do, you should be able to put a value on it.

I've always liked the Hyper, but haven't compared it to the Equator....and imo both are more balanced than the 25th Anniversary stuff.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I too like Atlas stuff. haven't tried any Equator but have got Hyper 2.0. it's definitely more easy going than QED Revelation it replaced. and will remain my cable of choice until maybe I become filthy rich and spoiled.

:grin:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
:) Hi All

Before I start can I just ask the non believers of speaker cables kindly not turn this thread into another cable war. Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience of the two. I'm a bit of a cable sceptic myself but have got some Equator 2.0 on home demo at the moment and to my ears is definitely an improvement over the Silver Anniversary. There is more detail in the bass and mids.

Would the Hyper be worth the jump in cost is the question I'm asking I suppose. If there are any believers out there who have heard and or compared them I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Ed :)

Hi Ed,

From one sceptic to another, I'll be interested in your findings.

I was tempted recently to some used Nordas Blue Heaven, but read some mixed reviews, so decided against it.

Cheers

Mac

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
From a sceptic, an interesting thread. We should have a 'Believers cable thread' and a 'Sceptics only'. Nice to see comment in similar vein on speaker cables etc.

Cheers

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with the dem.

I too find Atlas cables well-balanced and heard/owned a few of their cables including Equator i/c and Hyper i/c and s/c.

The Hyper is pretty good. OCC cabling (used in the Atlas Hyper i/c but not the s/c) is generally better, but of course more expensive.

I was also sceptical about cables, but I noticed a marked improvement as you go up the range of most manufacturers' offerings. Especially the higher priced ones. Unfortunately.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm much happier with my Hyper 2 than I was with my Silver Anniversary. As you say about the Equator (which I haven't heard), the Atlas sound is much better balanced with less of the shiny top end of the QED. I'd certainly think about getting a demo.

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm a converted non-believer myself. :)

I was quite sceptic as well until my dealer gave me 5 sets of cables to try out and I could hear a difference with each of them.

I tested the Hyper 3.0 and thought they had the best separation of all cables I have tested - Like if the artist and each instruments were played from the different speaker.

In the same price range, I would recommend you to try some Chords as I thought they were more musical... Of course all depending on your system.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I moved up to Hyper 3.0 from Silver Anniversary XT when I last replaced most of my gear. It was a great improvement particularly in smoothing out the treble (some high notes felt like someone was sticking pins on my head). Silver Anniversary XT has quite a small cross-sectional area a bit less than 2mm sq. This was less than ideal as ATC recommends a minimum of 2.5mm sq and I use 9m long cables ; so I went for the larger cross-sectional area of Hyper 3.0 over the Hyper 2.0 which suits my system well.

I did swap the ATC 11's back to my old B&W 625's for a few minutes just to see what differance it would make but the Hyper 3.0 gave far too much emphasis to the base notes and sounded very boomy.

However, the Silver Anniversary XT used to work well with the 625's before the upgrade.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

Just a quick update, I managed to get hold of some atlas hyper 1.5 for home dem. I've not really had chance to listen to it yet. My first impressions so far is that it may be bit more detailed the the equator but seems a bit thinner and dare I say it not quite so fun to listen to, I will wait until the 2.0 demo set is back In before I part with any cash. I will post again when I chance to have a proper listen.

Ps, laid up in bed at the moment after an op and listening to the Paris concert by living colour on spotify, if you like that sort of thing or are a fan it's worth checking out, the bass and drums performance are mind blowing (IMO)

Cheers, Ed

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen the Equator 3.0 before, I didn't know existed? I seen it on a few dealers websites but seems to be the same price as the 2.0? It's also mentioned on the Atlas site but not in the product list. I can only assume it would be better than the 2.0

Cheers, Ed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts