ATH ES55

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
In my seemingly never ending quest to replace my Senheisser PXC 250s I'm now looking at ATH ES55s. So, as before, will be used in a open plan office (so can't leak) and on aircraft (so ideally should isolate a fair bit). NS1000s were too leaky for me.

Thoughts?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Whilst they are not active noise cancelling cans, either the ES55 or ES7 headphones are closed back and thanks to well cusioned ear cups they do block out quite a bit of noise. I used them on the tube on a few occasions and they were very good.

It's quite tricky to say though without knowing the level of noise in the office - you could always try a pair and return them on the off chance they were too noisy?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks gents. How do they stack up SQ wise against the 250's I'm using now? They'll be driven by an iPhone through a LOD and Fiio E5

A

Anonymous

I have that exact portable set-up with the ES7s, while the isolation is not amazing, it's alright for the commute/office. At risk of sounding like an advert for audio technica or a gushing fanboy I'm gonna say how much I really love my ES7s. They're such a fun headphone to listen to; full punchy bass, slightly recessed mids and clean forwards highs that are never too bright for me. I'd also like to mention how purdy these headphones are, the mirrored cups look very cool in my books. Not heard the 250s, but I imagine they will sound alot livelier and possibly more detailed than the 250s if they have the senns darker laid-back house sound. The ES7s have just been discontiuned, but I think you can still pick them up from retailers and from ebay pretty cheaply (I got mine for £60!). Just be careful about buying fakes, there are alot around (See: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/417148/ath-es7-buyer-s-guide-or-how-and-where-to-avoid-fakes)

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Lee H:Thanks gents. How do they stack up SQ wise against the 250's I'm using now? They'll be driven by an iPhone through a LOD and Fiio E5

Sound quality is very good. The Grado SR60 are the only contender sonically but they are leaky so will not suit the fact you want something that isn't noisy. Nothing else of a closed back design at the same level touches the ES55 IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts