ATC SCM7 Upgrade...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
DocG said:
Al ears said:
Agree regards cabinet. Not too sure about coupling speakers to anything then decoupling the lot. Seems overkill but then again I have never tried it. ;-)

There’s two kinds of people in the world: those with OCD and those not frequenting hifi forums! *wink*

Quite so. I used to be a belts and braces man now I am just condident.... but still believe in gravity :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ROB2009 said:
Thanks for the comments, that’s the great thing about posting on here, lots of knowledge and differing opinions

The speakers do sit on small isolation pads but not anything like Aurelex, I reckon it would be worth trying that first. Just one question, as the speakers are sealed with no rear ports, will the distance they sit from the wall have that much of an impact? Clearly I will try this, but wondered what the thinking is by moving them to the front edge of the cabinet.

If you have someone who knows you, see if you can borrow a pair of reasonable stand. Position them as best you can given the existing cabinet and see what sort of difference they make.

Finding out what they do within the context of your existing setup really should help you decide on the best way forward.

gasolin

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Correct me if wrong but I think the point of the post is that amp is £4K but speakers are under a grand, hence the need for the upgrade. Not about isolation pads no matter the set up, as however you set these speakers up they wouldn’t be as good as something more in tune with the amp. I’m sure that’s the thinking here.

Why my old amp cost almost 4 times as much as my mission LX-2

gasolin

Al ears said:
ROB2009 said:
Thanks for the comments, that’s the great thing about posting on here, lots of knowledge and differing opinions

The speakers do sit on small isolation pads but not anything like Aurelex, I reckon it would be worth trying that first. Just one question, as the speakers are sealed with no rear ports, will the distance they sit from the wall have that much of an impact? Clearly I will try this, but wondered what the thinking is by moving them to the front edge of the cabinet.

It's not the rear wall that matters so much with speakers of this type, I was more concerned about reflections from the cabinet in front of the speakers themselves. In my experience if placed like they are you are more likely to get a better presentation by moving them to the front of the cabinet almost as if they were on speaker stands. Just my half-pennies worth, others may have differing experiences. But repositioning is a cheap option ;-)

I have small studio monitors and they have a desktop setting to use if placed on a desk/table or shelf or like the op does

That is to reduce the enhanced midbass around 200hz and that is what the atc's can have if not using stands like auralex or better isoacoustics stands so the speakers can be rasied more so reflection from the wooden cabinet won't have a negative effect on the sound

gasolin said:
Al ears said:
ROB2009 said:

It's not the rear wall that matters so much with speakers of this type, I was more concerned about reflections from the cabinet in front of the speakers themselves. In my experience if placed like they are you are more likely to get a better presentation by moving them to the front of the cabinet almost as if they were on speaker stands. Just my half-pennies worth, others may have differing experiences. But repositioning is a cheap option ;-)

I have small studio monitors and they have a desktop setting to use if placed on a desk/table or shelf or like the op does

That is to reduce the enhanced midbass around 200hz and that is what the atc's can have if not using stands like auralex or better isoacoustics stands so the speakers can be rasied more so reflection from the wooden cabinet won't have a negative effect on the sound

Sort of what I was suggesting. The idea that they need to be raised above a surface is nonsense although the idea they need to be isolated from it is not. The idea that most speakers of this ilk are designed to be used on stands with no areas around them that could be considered a reflective body is also well known. If the O P must use them on such a body then moving them to a position where there is no 'overhang' is obvious suggestion.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Nice room. I reckon you are right about stands. With the bigger atcs you are probably getting more reverb interaction with your unit. Having them ‘in air’ on stands will make them tighter sounding. Or a pair of floorstanders either side of the unit. I wouldn’t confine yourself to atc as a pair of floorstanders, as some great brands from pmc, spendor, pro ac etc. How about some wood veneer neat iota alphas either side of the wood unit. Would reduce the domineering effect of speakers on a unit (when you have 3 with the centre speaker). They would be an upgrade over the atc scm7 I think, but maybe you want floorstanders in the 2-3 k kind of bracket to match the quality of the amp, as I’d doubt the plateau would be reached with those neats against such an amp.

If you look at the image again it would appear there is no room on the right as there is a door in the way. Maybe some wall mounted speakers might be better if he can't fit stands or floorstanders in?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If the op is looking for an upgrade you’d still get that with the right speakers to fit the space. Totem speakers or the small spendor speakers maybe

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
ROB2009 said:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/62332045@N03/1975xA

You need speaker stands like isoacoustics

Why do you have 3 fromt speakers and a subwoofer when you have a big powerfull stereo amp?

The stereo amp is connected to an AV receiver through the main front left and right pre-outs, so stereo amp on for music, both amps on for 5.1 surround TV and Movies

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Nice room. I reckon you are right about stands. With the bigger atcs you are probably getting more reverb interaction with your unit. Having them ‘in air’ on stands will make them tighter sounding. Or a pair of floorstanders either side of the unit. I wouldn’t confine yourself to atc as a pair of floorstanders, as some great brands from pmc, spendor, pro ac etc. How about some wood veneer neat iota alphas either side of the wood unit. Would reduce the domineering effect of speakers on a unit (when you have 3 with the centre speaker). They would be an upgrade over the atc scm7 I think, but maybe you want floorstanders in the 2-3 k kind of bracket to match the quality of the amp, as I’d doubt the plateau would be reached with those neats against such an amp.

If you look at the image again it would appear there is no room on the right as there is a door in the way. Maybe some wall mounted speakers might be better if he can't fit stands or floorstanders in?

ATC have launched their on wall equivalents, and it is an option, which would also allow me to keep my existing cabinet.

ROB2009 said:
BigH said:

ATC have launched their on wall equivalents, and it is an option, which would also allow me to keep my existing cabinet.

And very good they are supposed to be to. Haven't heard them myself but these would definitely be a good option.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
atc on wall version is best in your situation.

I very much like concept of flush mount the speakers, you almost get this effect with atc on wall series.. some studios do the same; you should get more even freq response.. I believe atc optimised the cabinets/ crossover for this series + you have very good amp..

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Switching to the wall mounted speakers does intrigue me, but I’ll try the isolation pads first.

If speakers are mounted flat to the wall as the HTC7s would be, you surely have no adjustment or fine tuning options at all, the sound will be what it will be....even if it’s good, but if you don’t like what they produce then where do you go?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It may be a totally nutty idea, but can you fill the top drawers with dried sand (which you have sealed into bags. It should help mitigate resonance within the cabinet.

Edit. Just checked the photo again...daft idea, as no top drawers and your other equipment is probably housed in the sides....so ignore.

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
No problem Cno...all ideas are good, you never know what it might spark
lightbulb.png

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Update......I’ve now got the SCM7s sat on Auralex Propads...

Despite my scepticism I am pretty amazed, it’s like having a new pair of speakers! The midrange and overall clarity has increased, and the bass has tightened up, I can listen at higher volumes without the boominess there was before.

Maybe a little aesthetically challenging but worth for the sound improvement, with the limitations of my room and without spending a fortune I reckon that’s a result...

Many thanks...*biggrin*

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62332045@N03/shares/c59cm0

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62332045@N03/shares/Y3m1z4

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thx for getting back...and glad it's worked out for you, especially as these things cost too much, unless they have the desired effect. I have found Auralex stuff works, even if a bit industrial looking.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
ROB2009 said:
I couldn’t help myself...

Ended up buying a new AV cabinet so I’d have room for speaker stands. I did try SCM11’s on the stands but proved too much for the room, so reverted to the SCM7’s. Have now got the sub integrated properly so it all sounds rather nice...☺️

For what it is worth, I just installed a new H190 for a customer with a pair of ATC SCM7. They go very well together. Enjoy!

ROB2009 said:
I couldn’t help myself...

Ended up buying a new AV cabinet so I’d have room for speaker stands. I did try SCM11’s on the stands but proved too much for the room, so reverted to the SCM7’s. Have now got the sub integrated properly so it all sounds rather nice...☺️

https://www.flickr.com/gp/62332045@N03/f3N452
Looks superb, and I’m sure it sounds great too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts