ATC SCM7 Upgrade...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ROB2009

Well-known member
Jan 17, 2008
55
0
18,540
I couldn’t help myself...

Ended up buying a new AV cabinet so I’d have room for speaker stands. I did try SCM11’s on the stands but proved too much for the room, so reverted to the SCM7’s. Have now got the sub integrated properly so it all sounds rather nice...☺

https://www.flickr.com/gp/62332045@N03/A021eT
 

ROB2009

Well-known member
Jan 17, 2008
55
0
18,540
Arghhh...Good spot, they are indeed the 11’s....I posted wrong picture, now edited

https://www.flickr.com/gp/62332045@N03/A021eT
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
ROB2009 said:
Arghhh...Good spot, they are indeed the 11’s....I posted wrong picture, now edited 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/62332045@N03/A021eT
I noticed it while all the hifi shop men fight for attention
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
ROB2009 said:
Arghhh...Good spot, they are indeed the 11’s....I posted wrong picture, now edited

https://www.flickr.com/gp/62332045@N03/A021eT
Hi Rob

Either way your room and system looks good *smile*

Anyway as discussed i’ll be in touch with you regarding the SCM11’s next week.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Sliced Bread

Well-known member
Jul 28, 2010
325
17
18,895
Andrewjvt said:
Sliced Bread said:
Which stands are they in this shot...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/62332045@N03/A021eT

...really nice :)
I guess Custom design and yes they look great
It does. It's rare for a 5.1 system to look nice :)

Its making me want to try the SCM7s as a part of my quest for improved stereo :)
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Sliced Bread said:
It does. It's rare for a 5.1 system to look nice :)

Its making me want to try the SCM7s as a part of my quest for improved stereo :)
Hi Sliced Bread

Rob’s room and system have always looked good. It’s been a pleasure to deal with him and supply him with the Hegel and ATC’s *smile*

Custom Design speaker stands here too for use with Dutch & Dutch Studio 8c. Look great *smile*

Btw, RX-A3060 is a good match with curved SCM7 passive monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Sliced Bread

Well-known member
Jul 28, 2010
325
17
18,895
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, RX-A3060 is a good match with curved SCM7 passive monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Then it’s worth a listen then. :)

Would the scm7 be ok in a room that’s 17ft by 12ft or am I better off with the scm11?

Thanks
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Strictly Stereo said:
MUSICRAFT said:
I’ll be looking to get a new H190 at £800. Please let me know *smile*
Nowhere. Never will be
It wasn’t that long ago that elsewhere you were openly offering to buy as many new H190’s from me at less then a third of RRP around £1k.

Anyway please let me know if you can provide me with a new H190 at £800. Btw, just to clarify the H190 will be for my personal use *smile*
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Sliced Bread said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, RX-A3060 is a good match with curved SCM7 passive monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Then it’s worth a listen then. :)

Would the scm7 be ok in a room that’s 17ft by 12ft or am I better off with the scm11?

Thanks
Hi Sliced Bread

Nice one.

curved SCM11’s should do the trick however if possible to make sure please also try both in situ.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Strictly Stereo said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Strictly Stereo said:
a new H190 
I’ll be looking to get a new H190 at £800. Please let me know *smile*
Where are they available (in-stock) for this price? Not just advertised but available?
Nowhere. Never have been. Never will be, except maybe many years from now as a second hand purchase.
As if we didn't already understand the childishness.
Stick around and enjoy the attention seeking show performance.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Strictly Stereo said:
Andrewjvt said:
As if we didn't already understand the childishness. Stick around and enjoy the attention seeking show performance.
I wish I did understand it, but it remains a mystery.
If I can't have you, nobody will
 
Sliced Bread said:
Would the scm7 be ok in a room that’s 17ft by 12ft or am I better off with the scm11?

Thanks
The SCM7s would be ok, but I’d say SCM11s in that size room, particularly if they’re replacing your CM8s. Even if you bass limit them in the settings for multi-channel use, the midrange will be better on the SCM11s.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
davidf said:
Sliced Bread said:
Would the scm7 be ok in a room that’s 17ft by 12ft or am I better off with the scm11?

Thanks
The SCM7s would be ok, but I’d say SCM11s in that size room, particularly if they’re replacing your CM8s. Even if you bass limit them in the settings for multi-channel use, the midrange will be better on the SCM11s.
Set ATC speakers full range no matter the size
 

tonky

New member
Jan 2, 2008
36
0
0
Like this thread - always enjoy your knowledgeable contributions to the hifi debate Rick.

cheers tonky
 
Andrewjvt said:
Set ATC speakers full range no matter the size
Not for AV I wouldn’t, personally. Regardless of the speaker, set to small and choose a suitable crossover point to the sub. Eases the load on the speakers, helps them sound better, allows them to go louder - let the sub (and amplifier) deal with the demanding stuff. It’s just a case of finding whereabouts the bass starts tailing off in the room they’re being used in. A more capable speaker allows you a lower crossover point, but you have to weight up whether each 10Hz you drop (for example) is better produced by the speaker or by the sub. The sub will normally be more efficient at reproducing it, but it will be localised to a single point, whereas the speaker output will be weaker, but localised to the speaker producing it. Ideally you want as low a crossover point as the speaker will allow.

The speakers I’m using at the moment would be rough equivalents to the SCM7s, and whilst I have them set to large - and as impressive as they are - I would be scared to turn them up too loud. It suits my listening level though.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS