ATC SCM40 Home Audition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
These SCM40s are for keeps I think, its just a matter of settling on a price. I can see how these speakers could sound harsh in the treble but with my setup they are just wonderfully revealing. I really wonder what a pair of active SCM50 or SCM100s would sound like with their bigger bass units...one day perhaps :grin:

Yes, even though the 40s are fantastic, the 50s and 100s make a further significant jump in quality and if they fit with your budget are seriously worth considering. Given you like the tonal qualities of the 40s, you should have no worries buying the actives without hearing, as everything is tonally consistent.

The pair on eBay look like they may not have the SL bass driver, so I would avoid those. 50s and 100s come up pretty regularly on eBay. There are some 100 Towers (which will be the design you prefer) on the classifieds of atcforums.co.uk here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3341 Feel free to join us there btw!

Re the treble on the 40s, it is good to know that soon there will be a retro-fittable proprietary ATC tweeter, hopefully before the end of the year :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the link to the ATC forum Ben...yeh those 100s seem great but outside my price range at the moment. Who knows that the future will bring though, and of course a decent room to put them in, in a future house (the flat is temporary).

Those speakers on Ebay look like the Classic series, so probably quite old.

You can now see my updated sig confirming these speakers are to stay! :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick, I've had both my EPOS speakers for many years so I suspect the ATCs will be around for some years to come too. If I'm ever in Derby I'l drop by, may be you'll have some big ATCs on demo :cheer:

A

Anonymous

In my experience, going for a more accurate sound makes more sense in the long term. Although I wasn't looking for accuracy when I changed from Spendor to AVI, I find that the speakers don't get in the way of the music as much now.

Enjoy :bounce:

A

Anonymous

igglebert said:
In my experience, going for a more accurate sound makes more sense in the long term. Although I wasn't looking for accuracy when I changed from Spendor to AVI, I find that the speakers don't get in the way of the music as much now.

Enjoy :bounce:

Gotta agree with you there Igglebert, they're playing now and the sound is just so revealing...and its really...well, enjoyable. Guess in part its due to good quality CD/amp and as you say, the speakera no longer "get in the way". Its like a veil has been drawn back to reveal more music :rockout:

Guess I'm half way to moving to the dark [AVI] side...just need to upgrade to a pair of SCM50 Active Towers :dance: Mind you these 300W mono blocks really drive the SCM40s well. Plenty of guts!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Dr Lodge said:
Mind you these 300W mono blocks really drive the SCM40s well. Plenty of guts!

Well, that's what they need to produce their best :)

Well I was seriously tempted by a pair of these also for sale, but just don't have the £££ right now :twisted:

mclasspamp.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts