ATC SCM19 SCM20SL with Naim Supernait

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with ATC SCM19 and SCM20sl? What are the differences? Which would you recommend?

Will my 80wpc Naim Supernait/Hicap drive them ok? Source is FLAC files on Mac Mini.

My room is a standardish lounge of around 4mx4m and I listen to a diverse range of music.

I fancy a revealing speaker. I do dlisten at low volumes often though, as I have neighbours. I heard the ATC are troublesome at low volumes, does anyone have any experience here?

I can't demo the ATC locally but can buy on sale or return. I just didn't fancy buying both pairs!

Thanks

Hi audiokid

I posted the some of the following a couple of weeks ago -

With SCM7 and SCM11 monitors ATC give an exceedingly good taste of what they are capable of however starting with SCM19's ATC well and truly push the button and significantly raise the game of their monitors. Even though SCM19 monitors use the same dimension (150mm) Mid/LF drive unit as SCM11's however this Mid/LF drive unit (the first in ATC's range of monitors) incorporates ATC's state of the art ultra low distortion SLMT (Super Linear Magnet Technology) in a massively engineered and built assembly (which is also used in SCM20ASL Professional monitors). To put this into perpective the SLMT drive unit weighs more then a complete SCM11! There is no difference in HF performance between any Entry Series monitors as all use the same HF unit. However in practically every area below HF SCM19's more or less show SCM11's a clean pair of heels.

Last week i listened to Naim's superb SuperUniti (partly based on the the Supernait amplifier) using SCM11's and SCM19's. A track i used was Tere Bina Zindagi Se (Lata Mangeshkar). Even with this simple and old recording as good as SCM11's are however the SCM11's didn't have the same scale, depth, weight, dynamics, resolution, precision, focus etc. and overall sounded veiled in comparision to SCM19's. After hearing SCM19's there is no going back to SCM11's. Simple.

A Supernait/HiCap with its high quality of amplification has more than enough reserves of energy to effectively energise SCM19's so that the quality of the recordings and the system can be enjoyed at low, moderate and high playback levels.

SCM20's and SCM19 use the same SLMT Mid/LF drive unit. The main difference between these two monitors is that SCM20's use a superior HF unit (from Seas). As good a SCM20's are however i believe SCM19's offer even better VFM though. Fwiw, i feel SCM19 monitors are probably the finest VFM bookshelf speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, the main thing you'd be paying for with 20s over 19s would be the better damped casework. I've never heard 20s so couldn't comment on how much if an improvement this brings. Rick knows his ATC, and if he says the 19s give the best vfm I'd be inclined to go along with that.

The 19s are a substantial step up from the 11s because of the SL driver.

Your amp should work well with any of the ATC speakers you are thinking of.

IMO ATC are fine at low level. I listen to most of my music at a fairly low level. True, there is no artificially inflated bass that you might get with certain ported designs, but the sound remains honest and accurate.

Try them and enjoy :)

iceman16

BenLaw said:
As I understand it, the main thing you'd be paying for with 20s over 19s would be the better damped casework. I've never heard 20s so couldn't comment on how much if an improvement this brings. Rick knows his ATC, and if he says the 19s give the best vfm I'd be inclined to go along with that.

The 19s are a substantial step up from the 11s because of the SL driver.

Your amp should work well with any of the ATC speakers you are thinking of.

IMO ATC are fine at low level. I listen to most of my music at a fairly low level. True, there is no artificially inflated bass that you might get with certain ported designs, but the sound remains honest and accurate.

Try them and enjoy :)

+1

A

Anonymous

Thaiman said:
Naim and ATC???

:wall:

:wall:

Now I've never heard Naim equipment, but have just got a pair of SCM40s which I love so so much...the guy who had these speakers before me has a CDX2 and didn't get on with the combination (hence he sold the ATCs, lucky for me!). From what I gather, the Naim sound can be a little "lean", opposite of "warm" and the ATCs will reveal exactly what your source components are like, warts and all.

Even with my equipment the ATCs can sound a little edgy on some recordings.

I would be very hesitant at fronting ATC speakers with Naim CD/amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
Callig David from Frank Harvey..........
smiley-cool.gif

I'm not getting involved. I post on here based on my relevant experiences, and all I get is certain individuals trying to discredit me on someone elses behalf, so there's no point really.

There's a difference between a dealer who likes every single product a specific manufacturer makes, and one who differentiates between good/bad, suitable/unsuitable etc. I'm the same as you guys - I have preferences, and my posts on this forum will not disguise that. I can also look at products objectively and state whether they're suitable for an individual's situation or not.

:)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The 19's are very good. Not heard the 20's.

FWIW, I did not get on with Naim and ATC.

I would recommend you hear them before buying, even if its a long trip.

It also depends, if you need deep bass. If you dont need the high SPL's that the 19's could potentially do, the SCM7's are far better IMO in terms of real world useage. They sacrafice bass depth, but thats it. They are a lot better integrated (between the treble and mid-bass) than the 11's, 19's and 40's. They have a more defined soundstage and imaging.

They cant comete with the 19's with large scale stuff at higher volumes, but if you did not need that, then I see no reason why I would go for the 19's over the 7's. They do need just as good amplifcation as the rest of the range though.

IMHO, IME, YMMV etc etc.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm not getting involved. I post on here based on my relevant experiences, and all I get is certain individuals trying to discredit me on someone elses behalf, so there's no point really.

That very reason is enough to make your point heard.......but respect for the temperance. :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Nice one iceman :) FWIW there are several people on ATC forums happily using naim and ATC. I'm sure that (like anything) it's not a combination that will work for everyone, so I would agree with the suggestion that a demo is a good idea.

A

Anonymous

Surely you can do better than that ben, where's the incendiary comments to spice up a monday evening ? :)

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input, guys.

Sounds like ATC might not be ideal for my setup. Perhaps a Dynaudio would work? I'm looking for something revealling, standmount, works well in 16sqm, ideall around £2k but can be flexible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts