2k Standmount speaker vote - PROAC / ATC / NEAT

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all!

I'm looking to settle on some good quality standmount speakers. My amp is a recently purchased Naim Supernait and I listen to all kinds of music. The lounge is roughly 4mx5m.

I have narrowed down my search to:

Proac D2

ATC SCM 19

Neat Momentum 3i

All are of a similar size / price but give different qualities in sound. They all sound great on a demo, but what you vote for in terms of ownership. Has anyone any longer term experience (good and bad) and can help me on this difficult decision?

Which is most most versatile? Highest quality build? Sound Quality? Long term friend etc etc...

Many thanks!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd say build quality for all three are pretty equal. Neats are generally designed around Naim, and ProAc has always worked well with the more modern Naim amps too.

Which would I choose? I like all three for different reasons... :)

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My vote would be the Neat, as I have read that Neat voice their speakers with a supernait,

but as you have auditioned all three then the deciision must be your own, as for quality all three companies have excellent quality standards......

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses so far...

David - would you be able to mention what the different reasons would be? I'm not so experienced with them from the limited demo time, but is one more exciting, another perhaps smoother, or one is bass rich etc?

My first impressions were -

-Proac seemed balanced, with some nice detail but a held back mid range.

-ATC had a confident and forward sound, bright, heavy, kind of pumped up!

-Neat seemed very weighty in the bass and had quite a sharp upper frequency.

They were all in different rooms though, so it's difficult to tell!

A

Anonymous

Based on my local Naim store (I did not demo yet :cry: )

Neat (and all metal tweeter speakers by the way) might sound too sharp and could really affect long listening session.

ProAc are incredable in mid frequency, excellent match for Naim

ATC: No idea

In time, let us know the end of the story!

A

Anonymous

ampfiddler said:
Hello all!

I'm looking to settle on some good quality standmount speakers. My amp is a recently purchased Naim Supernait and I listen to all kinds of music. The lounge is roughly 4mx5m.

Proac D2

ATC SCM 19

Neat Momentum 3i

All are of a similar size / price but give different qualities in sound. They all sound great on a demo, but what you vote for in terms of ownership. Has anyone any longer term experience (good and bad) and can help me on this difficult decision?

Which is most most versatile? Highest quality build? Sound Quality? Long term friend etc etc...

Many thanks!
Others to consider maybe b&w's pm1's or a-e's ref 1 & 2 standmounts. :)

A

Anonymous

I tried the PM1, they sounded nice but couldn't produce any scale, hence not mentioning them on my shortlist.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
As Fats said, at the size and price you are thinking I would definitely add the AE Reference 2s to your audition list. I had a demo of them recently and was extremely impressed. My thoughts on the last post of this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/acoustic-energy-ref-1-2?page=3#comment-2692027

Of the 3 you suggest, I have no experience with Neat and didn't particularly get on with the (floorstanding) Proacs I have listened to. My vote would definitely be for the SCM19s. IMO they will best pretty much any equivalent speaker in the midrange, partly due to the accuracy of the bass, which therefore does not impinge on the clarity of the mids.It seems to me you are describing the qualities of your amp when you describe what you heard with the 19s, which would be because the 19s are very neutral and accurate and allow your electronics to shine through.

But that's my opinion, and it's your £2000! I would audition all of them again (unless one is clearly inferior at this stage) and try as far as possible to isolate any other differences in the system, ie use your own source and amp, the same stands, the same music and (importantly) if possible listen to them in the same acoustic environment, ideally your own house.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ampfiddler said:
Hello all!

Proac D2

ATC SCM 19

Neat Momentum 3i

Many thanks!

I don't know which other speakers you have already rejected but I would add the PMC Twenty 22's to your list as well ! If you have not already heard them then I strongly suggest you give them a listen before making a final choice .

ampfiddler said:
Hello all!

Proac D2

ATC SCM 19

Neat Momentum 3i

Many thanks!

Hi ampfiddler

What source components were used in the demos? Was a Supernait used for all the demos?

What source component/s and speakers are you using?

Interconnect/s and speaker cables are?

Is your room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Your general listening level?

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers?

With a new pair of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Yes, SN was always used, but a mix of cables I guess. The room is of average furnishing - sofa, chairs, rug, wood floor.

I can bring the speakers out a little (I would say 40cm max) and it's a solid wall behind. Side walls are 1m away at least. There's nothing in between the speakers. Stand mounted.

Listening level - generally quite low, as I live in a flat. I would maybe reach '9 o'clock' on a loud day on the supernait volume dial.

Presentation prefs - A good all round, versatile sound, if that makes any sense! I generally crave detail (and when I have had amps with tone controls, I want to turn the treble up a little) and I like a warm bass and mid range, so instruments sound natural and real, whilst any kick drums and bass have some depth. Would that class as a 'full range' and dynamic kind of sound?

Thanks for your help!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi ampfiddler - as you can from my sig, I would recommend the SN and 3i combo, but I would give a few words of caution. Based on the sound preferences that you've described above I think the sound of this combo ought to suit you, however if your room is small then the bass could well be an issue. My room is pretty small at 3.7m sq, and it has taken a lot of patient tweaking to get them set up right. Really I would say that for any speaker purchase a home demo is mandatory. What you end up with is the combination of that speaker in your room, which is unique. Any other demo is virtually meaningless IMO.

Good luck!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ampfiddler,Are you able to home demo? It's really important to do so if you can... demo rooms can be very deceptive.

If you can get to hear Harbeth I think they would tick all your boxes, SHL5 or P3 ESR.

Good luck

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For a 4x5m room and generally low level listening, I'd be looking at the ProAc D18's or the PMC Twenty.23's due to their efficient, lively nature. Standmounts at low volumes in a large room will sound a little lightweight, whereas floorstanders will keep a little meaningful low end. Both of these speakers have a lively, detailed nature, and won't need cranking up to get the best from them, unlike less efficient designs.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
For a 4x5m room and generally low level listening, I'd be looking at the ProAc D18's or the PMC Twenty.23's due to their efficient, lively nature. Standmounts at low volumes in a large room will sound a little lightweight, whereas floorstanders will keep a little meaningful low end. Both of these speakers have a lively, detailed nature, and won't need cranking up to get the best from them, unlike less efficient designs.

If pressed, which of the PMC Twenty standmounts would you go for in this situation, David?

A

Anonymous

I'm sure the PMC Twenty are great speakers, but I could never live with anything that looks soo weird! I just fancy something classic looking. Even the ATCs are a push with their plastic fronts and a speaker grille that doesn't quite fit the fascia.

I can't get away with floorstanders either, so I'm edging towards the Proac D2 and the Neat 3i. It's difficult to demo these both together, so maybe a home demo is the only way....

Any more votes on the D2 or the 3i?

Thanks Dan for your comments on the 3i. Other than the deep bass, how do you find the metal tweeter, and also their ability to handle acoustic music and vocals?

A

Anonymous

Actually, I just realised the Neat 3i are rear ported, so the bass may be too much for my room placement, which will be fairly near the walls.

Maybe I should just go with the Proac D2 - They fit the brief and I know they sound good!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
datay said:
If pressed, which of the PMC Twenty standmounts would you go for in this situation, David?

The Twenty.22's. A room that size needs as big and as efficient a speaker possible for good low level listening.

Ampfiddler - while you're not keen on the PMC's looks, I dare say you may well find these the best low level performers you've listed. You may even hate them, but do give them a try, as they might just surprise you....

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've not heard the ATCs but between the ProAc D2 and the Neat on the end of the Supernait, I would pick the ProAc. IMHO it has a better tonal balance, has a sweeter sound than the Neats and is a better all-rounder. I find the Neats are very good for fast-paced rock but maybe not mellow enough for other musical genres like jazz or folk.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
ampfiddler said:
I'm sure the PMC Twenty are great speakers, but I could never live with anything that looks soo weird! I just fancy something classic looking. Even the ATCs are a push with their plastic fronts and a speaker grille that doesn't quite fit the fascia.

I can't get away with floorstanders either, so I'm edging towards the Proac D2 and the Neat 3i. It's difficult to demo these both together, so maybe a home demo is the only way....

Any more votes on the D2 or the 3i?

Thanks Dan for your comments on the 3i. Other than the deep bass, how do you find the metal tweeter, and also their ability to handle acoustic music and vocals?

Acoustic music and vocals are really a strength of the 3is I think. They are just wonderfully open and explicit. The tweeter works really well, the only time it can get pushed in to harshness is with poor recordings when the volume gets pushed high. I guess that's the price you pay for the openness and detail you get the rest of the time. I guess it's a personal thing as to whether you can live with that or not - i certainly can

Lets not forget the fact that the bass is one of their great strengths. If you have a decent sized room and you can get them out of the corners, then you could find that they have a bass depth, power and impact that you won't find from any other stand-mounter (and many floor-standers) at anything like the price.

I'm afraid I've not tried the D2, so I can't ofer a comparison.

You really need to try them at home though - but then that's true of any speaker IMO. Any dealer worth his salt should let you do that for a refundable card swipe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts