ATC scm11

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
... once you put DM10's thru distribution and dealers network you would end up with price closer to this http://sxpro.co.uk/atc-scm20asl-pro-mkii?gclid=CInTh9vLmM4CFUQaGwodmIAKBQ but with much higher performance, 8th order crossover instead of inferior 2nd and latest state of the art mid bass and preamp with dac and a choice of veneers... so even at £4500 DM's would be still appropriately priced. 

Hi
Have you heard the smaller dm5's?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
yes, did have them for couple of weeks.. similar presentation, quality bass down to 60Hz, sweet treble, excellent detail and stereo image.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Hi Have you heard the smaller dm5's?

I own both the DM10 and DM5. Both are exellent speakers with a very similar presentation but the DM10 are considerably better than DM5 in every way - clarity, imaging, dynamic range, bass depth, everything. Words really can't do the DM10s justice they're that far ahead of the game compared to every other speaker that I've heard. Think better than Sennheiser HD700 clarity and detail with the ability to punch as hard as a pair of large high powered studio monitors like the Event Opals and with a razor sharp stereo image to match the Genelec 8260A speakers. Then image all of these qualities together in one speaker and you have the DM10 2.1 system.

I use the DM10 all the time as my main everyday speakers because they're better than the DM5s. Yet despite this, in some ways I still prefer DM5s. In a side by side comparison I'd pick the DM10 over the DM5 every time. Yet when listened to individually there's something so utterly 'right' about the DM5s that just makes them so easy to listen to and live with. They're also tiny also look nicer than their big brothers.

Oddly, and it's hard to justify the reason considering the DM10 is much better, but if I had to choose just one speaker to live with for the rest of my life I would choose the DM5 over any other speaker in the world.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Hi Have you heard the smaller dm5's?

I own both the DM10 and DM5. Both are exellent speakers with a very similar presentation but the DM10 are considerably better than DM5 in every way - clarity, imaging, dynamic range, bass depth, everything. Words really can't do the DM10s justice they're that far ahead of the game compared to every other speaker that I've heard. Think better than Sennheiser HD700 clarity and detail with the ability to punch as hard as a pair of large high powered studio monitors like the Event Opals and with a razor sharp stereo image to match the Genelec 8260A speakers. Then image all of these qualities together in one speaker and you have the DM10 2.1 system.

I use the DM10 all the time as my main everyday speakers because they're better than the DM5s. Yet despite this, in some ways I still prefer DM5s. In a side by side comparison I'd pick the DM10 over the DM5 every time. Yet when listened to individually there's something so utterly 'right' about the DM5s that just makes them so easy to listen to and live with. They're also tiny also look nicer than their big brothers.

Oddly, and it's hard to justify the reason considering the DM10 is much better, but if I had to choose just one speaker to live with for the rest of my life I would choose the DM5 over any other speaker in the world.

If i were starting again id def go listen first.
2 questions: do you know any one close to derby that will play them and also do you think dm5s could intergrate with my atcs in a 7.1?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
If i were starting again id def go listen first. 2 questions: do you know any one close to derby that will play them

You'd be better off asking asking on the AVI forum. If you're lucky one of the owners might live near you.

Andrewjvt said:
also do you think dm5s could intergrate with my atcs in a 7.1?

Probably.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Had the previous ATC 11'S very good speakers but lacked bass for my taste.

Have at present AVI NEUTRON's much better all round speaker for their size.

In fact outstanding, so easy to listen too.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
 Had the previous ATC 11'S  very good speakers but lacked bass for my taste. 

Have at present AVI NEUTRON's  much better all round speaker for their size.

I find the bass very good on mine

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
alchemist 1 said:
Had the previous ATC 11'S very good speakers but lacked bass for my taste.

Have at present AVI NEUTRON's much better all round speaker for their size.

I find the bass very good on mine

+1

I'm driving mine witha Nord power amp and the bass is simply superb; tight and tuneful. When its turned up, you can still make out the notes of a bass guitar as well as FEEL the hit of a drum. I also owned a pair of AVI Neutrons once. They were a great little speaker for the money (cost about £500 several years back) but don't begin to compare with the new SCM11s.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Andrew,... as Steve just said.. go on Avi forum, I can probably help*acute*

Ive been having problems logging on and have requested new passwords. Ill do this tonight

All up and running on avi forums now

User name: andrewjvt
My contact details should be on also

Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I heard il divo on my amp with 3 different make speakers but this morning i heard on the atcs and by far it sounded the best ive ever heard it by a long way.
They not my cup of tea but sounded incredible.

My sound memory is flawed but on the kef r700s they sounded good but not like this.

Such small speakers cant rate them higher for price/performance ratio(passive)

Next week is going to be very interesting

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
After a very lengthy listening session last night i want to dispell a few myths about Atc monitors.

1. They only come alive at high volume.
They sound good at high or low volume but as they are so clear at high volume its easy to turn them up very high and not realize how high it is.

2. Good recording sound very good . Bad recording sound very very bad.

So far Everything ive played has sounded much better than all my past speakers. Its true you can sometimes hear mistakes or things not normally heard but it all sounds real and very good.
For example: rhcp californication you can hear how bad the recording is but it still sounds better than its sounded before even though for the first time ive really heard what all the fuss about that recording is.

3. Need an amp with a massive power supply.
not really - they actually are an easy load on the amp and only need watts to have good volume but dont dip past 5 ohms.(my kefs dropped to 3.2 ohms)

4. They sound too clinical and detailed
they are very very detailed but it sounds very real and like it should. Like they are in your room playing. All this from a tiny 11 litre box. Amazing

So to sum it up. Everything sounds more lifelike/real/live /organic to all ive had before and music is much more enjoyable with these little f ers. I love them.

A perfect match for hegel. Possibly a perfect match for any good amp

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
this is what I thought when I had 11's.. I still think these are great speakers and better than big 40's.. very easy to integrate in real rooms ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts