ATC scm11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Native_bon said:
Lets not sugarcoat anything here. People are allowed to have different taste in presentation of music. *good* I found ATC speakers not to my taste just like others would not like my choice of speakers. *biggrin*

Hi Native_bon

Don't you start *biggrin* I forgive you though as you've not made a car analogy *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
two way atc speakers without nasty 380Hz crossover are fun to listen but calling them accurate is not a very accurate description of what they are... lower midrange colouration and passive 2nd order crossover are not what's define accuracy. 

Howzit going i take it you are very happy with the AVI 10s still. Id love to hear them soon. They must be really really good as i know you also thought that about atc before.

Im really enjoying the scm11s though best ive heard in my house.

all I've said about atc speakers in the past was my opinion based on experience and best knowledge I had back then.. 

Hi

Are you going to sell the atc scm40 actives now?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
two way atc speakers without nasty 380Hz crossover are fun to listen but calling them accurate is not a very accurate description of what they are... lower midrange colouration and passive 2nd order crossover are not what's define accuracy. 

Howzit going i take it you are very happy with the AVI 10s still. Id love to hear them soon. They must be really really good as i know you also thought that about atc before.

all I've said about atc speakers in the past was my opinion based on experience and best knowledge I had back then.. 

All opinions are valid..

Plus one

But ill add that ipv has owned scm40actives and Avidm10s so he is in the perfect position to give his opinion.
i cant wait to hear them also.
This wont change me enjoying the atcs though as i like the sound but its interesting regards atc v avi

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
You have a Hegel 360 and I have a pokey 80 watt Leema.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used a NAD C325BEE at 50 w/ch with all manners of passive ATC Transducers for almost ten years without issue. We've even got clients using Arcam's Solo Mini at 25 w/ch with SCM40's again without issue. All things being equal you should find the Leema a walk in the park in comparison.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

As I've mentioned before the majority of my listening is at low levels. The transmission line design of the PMCs is fabulous in that respect. A infinite baffle... (shrugs shoulders)

Just for your interest
I specifically tested the 11s at very low volume and also low moderate volume and i must confirm it all sounds decent.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Testing loudspeakers (in an audition) at moderate to lower volumes should always be done first - too many people have a blast of speakers in a demo, then turn them down low to see how they sound - I don't recall any demo where anyone listens at low volume first (unless they only listen at low volume full stop). Any speaker will sound dull down low after blasting them! Ears need time to adjust.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Testing loudspeakers (in an audition) at moderate to lower volumes should always be done first - too many people have a blast of speakers in a demo, then turn them down low to see how they sound - I don't recall any demo where anyone listens at low volume first (unless they only listen at low volume full stop). Any speaker will sound dull down low after blasting them! Ears need time to adjust.
It's not something that I've ever considered before TBH but it seem like sensible advice.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

I think i fall into that bracket lol

My nearest ATC stockist is in Tunbridge Wells Kent. Not too far but I have to use the blessed car-park (M25). I deffo need to listen to these new versions as it's been years since my one and only listen: The Towers. Then they compared it to Ruark Sabre III.

Pity I don't live nearer to David. Again, would have to battle with the dreaded M25, going the other way.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Hi

gone already, Andrew

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It's not something that I've ever considered before TBH but it seem like sensible advice.
Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, but thought it worth mentioning for the benefit of the general readership...

David@FrankHarvey said:
steve_1979 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, but thought it worth mentioning for the benefit of the general readership...
I think it's a very good point. And for a similar reason, I think it's far from ideal to drive to a listening session without giving your ears a chance to rest from the road and engine noise. I guess if you drive a Rolls that might not be necessary, but I certainly don't!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
My nearest ATC stockist is in Tunbridge Wells Kent. Not too far but I have to use the blessed car-park (M25). I deffo need to listen to these new versions as it's been years since my one and only listen: The Towers. Then they compared it to Ruark Sabre III.

Pity I don't live nearer to David. Again, would have to battle with the dreaded M25, going the other way.

I would say a home demo as it takes a while for the qualities to really shine through. Even today im wowed so can only get better.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Hi

gone already, Andrew

A set of avidm10s only cost £1500 and its 275w per channel and if the quality has beaten over 6grand of active so easy. Must be something in that. Im almost to scared to listen to them now incase i want to go 360. But im going to have to soon i think.

Are you using laptop and flac or something else?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Hi

gone already, Andrew

A set of avidm10s only cost £1500 and its 275w per channel and if the quality has beaten over 6grand of active so easy. Must be something in that. Im almost to scared to listen to them now incase i want to go 360. But im going to have to soon i think.

Are you using laptop and flac or something else?

Airport Express with all sort of apple devices.. ALAC only

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
also, please remember AVI's ( just like BK) are sold direct so could cost much more ( and closer to ATC40A's price) after distribution/ dealers fees..

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
steve_1979 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

It seems obvious once you said it. Just never thought of it before.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Native_bon said:
Lets not sugarcoat anything here. People are allowed to have different taste in presentation of music.  *good*  I found ATC speakers not to my taste just like others would not like my  choice of speakers. *biggrin*

Hi Native_bon

Don't you start *biggrin* I forgive you though as you've not made a car analogy *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
I feel good.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
also, please remember AVI's ( just like BK) are sold direct so could cost much more ( and closer to ATC40A's price) after distribution/ dealers fees..
Although the few retailers that do sell the speakers, sell them at the same price as the manufacturer - they don't sell them for zero margin...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice ! One thing I found is that the bass is more accurate - this probably helps more detail cone through

Mine are a few months old now - just about run in !

What stands are you using ? Have mine on Dreadnoughts 3/4 mass filed with Atabites ( centre column only )

I have a minor criticism though - I found the finish on the cabinets quite rough but this doesn't detract from the sound obviously

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Nice ! One thing I found is that the bass is more accurate - this probably helps more detail cone through 

Mine are a few months old now - just about run in ! 

What stands are you using ? Have mine on Dreadnoughts 3/4 mass filed with Atabites ( centre column only ) 

I have a minor criticism though - I found the finish on the cabinets quite rough but this doesn't detract from the sound obviously 

R side is a bar stool and the left side is a plastic storage box with a little wooden box on top and about 3 magazines to level.off

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

R side is a bar stool and the left side is a plastic storage box with a little wooden box on top and about 3 magazines to level.off

[/quote]

A plastic box ! I don't live a million miles away from you , I can loan you some stands if you want .

James

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:

A plastic box ! I don't live a million miles away from you , I can loan you some stands if you want .

James 
[/quote]

Thanks thats very kind but dont worry ill get some next week. Yes i know the plastic box is very bad hahaha. I should take a photo and put it on here for a laugh.

To think.just less than a year ago i had super dreadnaughts.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
lpv said:
Although the few retailers that do sell the speakers, sell them at the same price as the manufacturer - they don't sell them for zero margin...

as Ash says:

" That's true, there is no dealer or distributor margin in our speakers so they're about a third of the price of anything that might compete. There's one dealer in Birmingham and another about five miles from the factory, both have sold Avi since 1989. They're old friends, so we give them some of our profit and it's not even close to what the shops get on speakers. As I said if they were priced as speakers are, they'd be a good three times the price."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts