ATC scm11

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I spent about an hour this morning in Frank Harvey looking at kef reference, blades, New b &W 800 Series, hifi racks, streamers etc.

There is so much stuff to look at and way its all set up makes you want it all.

Those of you that have not been in FH, the reception hall has streamers, sonos and few speakers then the next room is sort of dedicated to records etc and upstairs is loads of hi-end amps speakers all with oak beams.

All very clean and well thought out. ALL PRICES are clearly marked.Its a very good/nice shop in other words.
As for David - those of you that dont know him personally but read his posts on here. All i can say hes a very nice guy. He comes accross to me as an hifi enthusiast that works also in a hifi shop. Nothing is too much effort and gives straight answers to questions with no bs. Even though i came only to collect speakers
He took his time to show me all the stuff i wanted to see.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Congrats on your purchase, and I'm glad David is as helpful as he seems here.  I actually think he gets a bit of stick on the forum, but his enthusiasm shines through.  

Thanks was so excited to finally have sound again.

Cant agree more i also think he does but he really is just one of us that happens to work in a hifi store.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
So as i sold my stands ive had to make some make shift stands for the time being.

So the sound might not be as good as it can be but...

Staright out of the box they sound awesome but the longer I listen the better they sound. Im starting to hear the qualities shine through.

What supprised me is the bass quality as i expected it to be as good but the bass is very good for the size. Im starting to gear the extra detail ive not noticed before on tracks but its not stand out.
The tweeter is really special and notes have a lovely shimmer to notes- even at this early stage there is no harshness at all.

Ill give them a few weeks until i say more for now im very happy and as these will only be my rear surrounds i could say for now i could even be happy with only these as fronts.

Nice one, Andrew, congrats. They sound like they live up to their reputation (mag reviews and personal accounts), however, in terms of my own system I'm not sure what to draw from it: You have a Hegel 360 and I have a pokey 80 watt Leema.

We only have one ATC dealer locally but they don't stock them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Nice one, Andrew, congrats. They sound like they live up to their reputation (mag reviews and personal accounts), however, in terms of my own system I'm not sure what to draw from it: You have a Hegel 360 and I have a pokey 80 watt Leema.

They are really good. Its a relatively easy load for the amp though as i ran them all day and the amp did not get hot at all only slightly warm.
I think your leema could run them fine personally (as its a well designed amp) but you'd have to see for yourself as you may not even like the sound it gives off. But for me every song ive played so far sounds better than what ive heard before but please bear in mind ive had no sound for a few months.

I also have not had enough time to see how they play at low volume or how much volume they need to come alive.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I've not heard the combination, but I reckon the Leema would be up to the job. It's not all about numbers.

plastic penguin said:
You have a Hegel 360 and I have a pokey 80 watt Leema.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used a NAD C325BEE at 50 w/ch with all manners of passive ATC Transducers for almost ten years without issue. We've even got clients using Arcam's Solo Mini at 25 w/ch with SCM40's again without issue. All things being equal you should find the Leema a walk in the park in comparison.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words Andrew (and nopiano). My main interests are music and movies, as they have been since I was a kid in the 70s. Everything from The Beatles and Elvis Presley to Hammer horror films and Ray Harryhausen monster movies. So I'm just like everyone else here (well, nearly everyone *biggrin*).

David@FrankHarvey said:
plastic penguin said:

I've not heard the combination, but I reckon the Leema would be up to the job. It's not all about numbers.

The issue will be whether I could gravitate to the ATCs after owning the PMCs for so long now. No doubt the soundscape of each monitor will be the polar opposite.

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

I've used a NAD C325BEE at 50 w/ch with all manners of passive ATC Transducers for almost ten years without issue. We've even got clients using Arcam's Solo Mini at 25 w/ch with SCM40's again without issue. All things being equal you should find the Leema a walk in the park in comparison.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

As I've mentioned before the majority of my listening is at low levels. The transmission line design of the PMCs is fabulous in that respect. A infinite baffle... (shrugs shoulders)

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
A fine purchase Andrew!

We've had the SCM11s for nearly 2 years now and they are just so good. Had a minor celebration earlier tonight (start of a holiday!) and after the meal, played a Spotify playlist at louder than normal volume. Bearing in mind the power amp (Nord Hypex) was giving out some serious welly, the ATCs just rocked effortlessly. Georgio Morodo's mix of Coldplay's 'Midnight' sounded sensational. I'm sure you're going to have hours of fun ahead!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
A fine purchase Andrew!

We've had the SCM11s for nearly 2 years now and they are just so good. Had a minor celebration earlier tonight (start of a holiday!) and after the meal, played a Spotify playlist at louder than normal volume. Bearing in mind the power amp (Nord Hypex) was giving out some serious welly, the ATCs just rocked effortlessly. Georgio Morodo's mix of Coldplay's 'Midnight' sounded sensational. I'm sure you're going to have hours of fun ahead!

Thanks
Yes for sure i cant wait to finish this weeks work shift.

A drink and music and high volume. Ill take flowers to next door neighbour.

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

As I've mentioned before the majority of my listening is at low levels. The transmission line design of the PMCs is fabulous in that respect. A infinite baffle... (shrugs shoulders)

Hi plastic penguin

The main part of many of our ATC dems is done at low to moderate levels partly to help dispel the myth that ATC Transducers need disco like levels before they wake up. In this respect you should find that your amp with its higher quality of power/peformance will energise the ATC's more effectively at almost all comparable levels.

At the end of the day in the main it boils down to adjusting and getting used to the flat and honest presentation of an ATC Transducer.

The sound of accuracy.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Thanks for the kind words Andrew (and nopiano). My main interests are music and movies, as they have been since I was a kid in the 70s. Everything from The Beatles and Elvis Presley to Hammer horror films and Ray Harryhausen monster movies. So I'm just like everyone else here (well, nearly everyone *biggrin*).

Queens of the stone age... ive been holding off watching force awakens on bluray until i had the speakers now cant wait for friday to watch.

Got to sort the c3c center next then some scm7s for the atmos.
Oh then a new Av stand and a reciever.
all that while im building the k100s

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
two way atc speakers without nasty 380Hz crossover are fun to listen but calling them accurate is not a very accurate description of what they are... lower midrange colouration and passive 2nd order crossover are not what's define accuracy.

lpv said:
two way atc speakers without nasty 380Hz crossover are fun to listen but calling them accurate is not a very accurate description of what they are... lower midrange colouration and passive 2nd order crossover are not what's define accuracy.

Rick was having a conversation with me, and relating the SCM11s compared to my PMCs. Anyway, I don't dislike a little colour to the presentaion.

You're the very reason why I dislike a lot of active users. Snobs..

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:

Howzit going i take it you are very happy with the AVI 10s still. Id love to hear them soon. They must be really really good as i know you also thought that about atc before.

Im really enjoying the scm11s though best ive heard in my house.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
lpv said:

Rick was having a conversation with me, and relating the SCM11s compared to my PMCs. Anyway, I don't dislike a little colour to the presentaion.

You're the very reason why I dislike a lot of active users. Snobs..

I was referring to rick's never ending little advertising discription "atc transducer - sound of accuracy, naturally"... if the atc's are accurate then skoda's are comfortable to drive..

FYI,

SCM40A ( active) are not brilliant.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Howzit going i take it you are very happy with the AVI 10s still. Id love to hear them soon. They must be really really good as i know you also thought that about atc before.

all I've said about atc speakers in the past was my opinion based on experience and best knowledge I had back then..

lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

all I've said about atc speakers in the past was my opinion based on experience and best knowledge I had back then..

All opinions are valid..

lpv said:

I should have said - musical accuracy. Sounds better already *biggrin*

Anyway, glad that you're enjoying your loudspeaker/subwoofer combination.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Lets not sugarcoat anything here. People are allowed to have different taste in presentation of music. *good* I found ATC speakers not to my taste just like others would not like my choice of speakers. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts