AT101EP cartridge with a Technics SL D21?

Weetabix999

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi - I've just bought an old Technics SL D21 turntable which needs a new stylus.

Instead of buying a replacement which will cost £10 - would I be able to 'upgrade' with an Audio-Technica AT101EP Cartridge for £25? Would I be able to 'fit it on' - sorry - I clearly know nothing about turntables, but naturally want to get the best sound with the little money I have.

I've heard that the AT101EP is very good.....

Thanks.

Weetabix999 said:
Hi - I've just bought an old Technics SL D21 turntable which needs a new stylus.

Instead of buying a replacement which will cost £10 - would I be able to 'upgrade' with an Audio-Technica AT101EP Cartridge for £25? Would I be able to 'fit it on' - sorry - I clearly know nothing about turntables, but naturally want to get the best sound with the little money I have.

I've heard that the AT101EP is very good.....

Thanks.

Hello again. Could you tell us what cartridge the D21 was originally fitted with?

Weetabix999 said:
Hello - looking at the photos it looks like a 'P24'?

Yes, I've just found it. The cartridge fitted as standard was the Panasonic EPC-24 and the replacement stylus for that was the EPS-24CS. This cartridge has what is called a P-fit and has four pins sticking out the back that was simply pushed into the headshell. The AT101EP is the same sort of fitting so should work. The only thing that might throw a spanner in the works is the weight of the replacement cartridge.

If it is significantly lighter or heavier than the one you take off then, obviously, the cartridge tracking force will be all wrong and might need adjusting. This should not pose to much of a problem here but might need checking as it could, eventually, damage your records.

Weetabix999

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
....it's OK - I just found this>

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/06/03/how-to-adjust-tracking-force-on-a-turntable/

Thanks again - you've been really helpful.

TRENDING THREADS