Assisstance needed - choosing floorstanders

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello! :)

In the past I've always settled for second-rate Chinese garbage and whatever I could find on eBay, but recently, having got myself a job, I'm looking to finally get some real decent hifi gear! >)

Currently I'm running Goodmans Maxim 2 bookshelf speakers, with an Edifier sub. It's used mostly for music and the room is small. My amplifier, a Pioineer A-Z370, seems good but there's very little info out there about it. To my ears, it's fine.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good set of floorstanders for my room. For the record, they'd be about 1.8m apart and could probably go about 15-20cm from the rear wall. I'm looking at a budget of £500, and would be reluctant to go any higher. There's a Richer Sounds near where I live, where I intend to purchase from. I've got a list of a few potentials, but I'm interested to know which are any good and which aren't:

Dali ZENSOR 5 @ £499

Mordaunt Short AVIANO 8 @ 499 (a little big for my room)

Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 @ 499

Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4T @ 499

The MA BX5s seemed to get the best reviews, but I've read in forums that they are a little disappointing. The Tannoys also looked like a great deal, and I'm leaning towards them, but I'm not sure what they'd be like in comparison to the BX5s. Anyone heard both? I'm not sure about the other two, they were included mostly for comparison.

If anyone knows much about, has owned or has heard the amp, I'd be interested in opinions too. I may replace it, but not for at least a year and only if the Pioneer is truly rubbish.

Many thanks in advance!

Joseph. :)

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd give this a 'bump' seeing as 24 hours have passed - I have a few new ideas too. For example, I've seen many stores online stocking the Tannoy Revolution DC6T for £579. A definite step up from the Signature DC4T, the WHF Award the DC6T won is testimony to that - I can justify the extra £79 if they sound great.

My room is small though. I'm talking a 4.5m by 2.75m rectangle. I have a desk in the corner, and a TV stand to the left of it, these take up a whole wall. Opposite is a bed. I intended to place the floorstanders on either side of the TV stand, and just shove the desk closer up against the far wall.

I like bass - I heard the DC6Ts have this - but are they overkill for my room size? My existing set up sounds a bit 'thin' and to fill the room I have to crank it up, and then things just get distorted and shrill (info on my current set up in first post). I'm just a student, my hourly pay is a rather modest £3.68 so I need to be able to justify every penny I spend!

Perhaps I'm on the wrong track completely - I'm open to new ideas such as bookshelves or standmounts.

Many thanks,

Hi Joseph,

That is a small space to try to put something like the DC6T's in considering how close together they would have to be, good speakers that they are, and I have no idea how they would sound with your amp.

I'd tend towards getting the best standmounts you can afford / find.

If you insist on buying from Richer Sounds then see if they will let you demo some speakers, either at home or take your amp in to them.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

I would have them about 1.8m apart, but you're right that they'd be a bit enclosed, not to mention overpowering in my room. I'm open to standmounts - I'll have a hunt about and post back if I get stuck.

The demo room at my local Richer Sounds is more like a converted staff toilet room but I'd certainly consider popping in - thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks!

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

Having done some research of my own using WHF? reviews as guides, I had been looking at the likes of:

KEF Q300 (£429)

B&W 685 (£399)

MA RX1 (£425)

B&W CM1 (£499)

Looking at your suggestion they look great but I couldn't get away with a cherry finish and I haven't been able to source them elsewhere within my budget. I'll keep looking though.

Standwise I'd be looking at Soundstyle Z2iis (£67), the review on here indicates they should be fine.

I'd just hate to feel I would be missing out on a certain depth of sound by opting out of floorstanders such as the Tannoys or MAs. The thinnish sound is what's motivating my upgrade in the first place. Just a thought :)

theexcitableboy said:
Thanks for the response.

Having done some research of my own using WHF? reviews as guides, I had been looking at the likes of:

KEF Q300 (£429)

B&W 685 (£399)

MA RX1 (£425)

B&W CM1 (£499)

Looking at your suggestion they look great but I couldn't get away with a cherry finish and I haven't been able to source them elsewhere within my budget. I'll keep looking though.

Standwise I'd be looking at Soundstyle Z2iis (£67), the review on here indicates they should be fine.

I'd just hate to feel I would be missing out on a certain depth of sound by opting out of floorstanders such as the Tannoys or MAs. The thinnish sound is what's motivating my upgrade in the first place. Just a thought :)

They do come in different colours. Also, Pioneers, generally, have quite an upfront presentation. I've heard these Eposes with Cyrus gear and sounded superb. In addition, they are fairly easy to place.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I would agree a bout my Pioneer being a little upfront. It adds a nice 'get up and move' to the sound though. Anyway, I've been looking further into those Epos M12i standmounts you suggested. Reviews looking good, a lot of people were comparing them to the likes of the Monitor Audio RX2. I've been looking at the RX2 and on face value they seem to just oust the Epos'.

An audition of both would be great but a no-go for me where I live. RX2s would be £525 and the M12is would set me back £562. Considering I could get those Tannoys for just £15 more than the Epos, I'd need persuading to go for them! For now I'm looking more at the RX2s, simply because there's a lot of rave reviews out there. What do people think? :roll:

Thanks,

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Having auditioned them recently I can say that the BX5s are very good speakers at that price point so I think you should listen to them. There's no real alternative to listening and the hard part is finding a dealer who has the selection you want to listen to.

Good luck.

Chris

theexcitableboy said:
I would agree a bout my Pioneer being a little upfront. It adds a nice 'get up and move' to the sound though. Anyway, I've been looking further into those Epos M12i standmounts you suggested. Reviews looking good, a lot of people were comparing them to the likes of the Monitor Audio RX2. I've been looking at the RX2 and on face value they seem to just oust the Epos'.

An audition of both would be great but a no-go for me where I live. RX2s would be £525 and the M12is would set me back £562. Considering I could get those Tannoys for just £15 more than the Epos, I'd need persuading to go for them! For now I'm looking more at the RX2s, simply because there's a lot of rave reviews out there. What do people think? :roll:

Thanks,

Yes, the RX2s should sound really good. However, I did spy a pair the other day - first time I 've seen them - and they are rather chunky and deep, which could suggest placement might be a challenge, hence why I mentioned the Epos. Even though they have been replaced by Epic range (think) they are still a fabulous speaker, alongside Usher S320, they are my two favourite sub-£500 standmounter.

Ashley

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I was in a similar situation not too long ago, and was desperate for some floorstanders. I went to a local hifi retailer who begged me to reconsider, for £500 floorstanders wouldn't do my Cyrus kit any justice. In the end I picked up some KEF R100s and they sound and look beautiful. Can be had ex-demo for about £400 - £500 some places, but I don't know if I'm allowed to say where lol. I don't work for any hifi store or have any incentive to promote one over others.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input! A nearby hifi store claims to stock the RX2 on their website, I may pop over and ask for a listen. As far as making a decision is concerned, I'm a little further on. Initially I wanted floorstanders, BX5s or maybe stretch to Tannoy DC6Ts, but it's been pointed out that they may be too much for my room. I'll listen to the BX5s and the RX2s before I make the final decision. Reviews for RX2s seem to indicate these would be what I'm after - punchy and a good low end. Would Soundstyle Z2ii stands be enough for them though? RX2s are a little big - I'd be able to fit them in my room okay though.

@Ashley, I did look at the KEF R100s earlier, just a little over my budget but I'll look out for a bargain.

Does anyone have any experience with my amp? (Pioneer A-Z370) A medal for you if you do, I've yet to meet anyone who's heard of it, even Pioneer deny it was ever made!

theexcitableboy said:
Does anyone have any experience with my amp? (Pioneer A-Z370) A medal for you if you do, I've yet to meet anyone who's heard of it, even Pioneer deny it was ever made!

Nope. I owned pioneer amps for 17 years but never heard of this receiver, hence probably why your previous post http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/starting-out-pioneer-a-z370 received no replies.

I would suggest it could be easily beaten by a modern [budget] integrated amp or the Onkyo TX-8050.

Looks like you'll retain your medal. ;)

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for looking into that - I'm know the A-Z370 was part of a bigger system, complete with CD player, turntable, tuner, speakers, graphic eq etc. Pictured here: http://images.gittigidiyor.com/5015/PIONEER-MUZIK-SETI-COK-TEMIZ-7-PARCA-DOLAPLI__50158426_0.jpg

It seems little is known of it - I only paid £45 for it. It has many features of a decent amp though, especially for its time, like digital inputs/outputs, capable of driving two sets of speakers, pure direct mode etc etc. I might take it into Richer Sounds and see what they have to say about it because I'm not convinced that it's no good.

In the meantime, I'm saving up for the MA RX2s, and will post back with any new developments - thank you so much for your time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts