Question Are you into Hi-Fi or Music?

Fandango Andy

This may seem like a strange question, but are you into Hi-Fi or Music?

I have always loved music, and listen to it all the time (I'm listening to Night Hawk by Coleman Hawkins as I type this). Hi-Fi equipment is just a means to an end for me. But comments on other threads have made me realise some people are into the the equipment more than the music. This became even more starkly true recently when I met a person who has a Sondek LP12, but owns less than a dozen records and probably doesn't play them often.

I'm sure some people will say both, or their hobby is listening to music and they don't distinguish between the music and the equipment. All opinions are valid, I'm just curious what people think.

NSO

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Nobody listens to HI-Fi equipment except when deciding what to purchase, it is purely a means to an end, which is to listen to music.

Bill
Like you Bill I listen to the music. However, some audiophiles are consistently trying to make tweaks, they change a little something, thinking they have just heard an improvement. It is a bit like a addiction, the next new enhancement idea will need to be purchased. So instead of actually listening to the music they listen and constantly are never quite happy with their system, so getting in the way of enjoying the music. The music is a means to simply test how their system is performing. Not everyone is like you and I.

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I like listening to music, trying to find the small subtleties of the recordings, paying attention to the details or depending on the mood just letting me go with the music.
But I like the music to sound good, I cannot stand the music from a Cell Phone for example.
Will I spend huge amounts of money to be on the latest trend? No, I wouldn't and my wife will just kill me in my sleep if I did.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Fandango Andy

Oxfordian

It is a good question, for me its music first and has been since my first album back in the early 70's. But I won't say no to an LP12 if I can get one.

Sadly many people with deep pockets will just splash the cash on high end gear irrespective of whether their listening habit justifies the spend or not.

Owning a LP12 to play a dozen LP's probably isn't as unusual as it might sound, if you have the cash and you want to treat yourself to a top line HiFi you're going to do it, in many ways those with loads of money probably see an LP12 the same way as others see a Rega P3.

Oxfordian

some audiophiles are consistently trying to make tweaks, they change a little something, thinking they have just heard an improvement. It is a bit like a addiction, the next new enhancement idea will need to be purchased. So instead of actually listening to the music they listen and constantly are never quite happy with their system, so getting in the way of enjoying the music. The music is a means to simply test how their system is performing.
Nothing wrong with this, for some it is the key to their musical enjoyment, they love their HiFi and enjoy the constant tinkering with it trying to get the most out of their music.

NSO

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Nothing wrong with this, for some it is the key to their musical enjoyment, they love their HiFi and enjoy the constant tinkering with it trying to get the most out of their music.
Didn't say there is anything wrong in doing so but some will never be happy, so the music is a means to simply test their system. Some can get too wrapped up in the constant pursuit of perfection and miss the whole point, enjoy the music.

Oxfordian

Didn't say there is anything wrong in doing so but some will never be happy, so the music is a means to simply test their system. Some can get too wrapped up in the constant pursuit of perfection and miss the whole point, enjoy the music.
No, for some it’s about the whole thing, the system, the music, it all combines into one thing; their hobby.

That they’re constantly tinkering isn’t a problem they enjoy it, they find happiness and pleasure in what they are doing.

We are all different in how we approach our hobbies; that one person decides they want to just sit and enjoy the music from their setup is brilliant, another loves music and is driven to getting every bit of musicality out of what ever source they use by constantly reviewing the kit they are using and trying to improve their lot is also brilliant.

There are no right or wrong ways in this, it is just whichever route you decide to take, it shouldn’t be assumed that people aren’t happy because they are constantly fettling their setup.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I’ll listen to it anyway I can get it. But I love it through a quality system.

Apple AirPods have been the biggest revelation - they sound better than my Bose QC35, and they’re tiny. I’m so lucky to have v good sound wherever I go, and excellent sound at home. Also enjoy hearing albums in different contexts on different systems. So it’s all fun.

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
I think you can be both things. The only time I critically appraise the gear in a way that takes priority over the music is when auditioning. I actually hate doing it because it can actually spoil music listening and it’s something to be got through as soon as possible.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
It a Schrodinger type of question, there isn't a right answer, both exist at the same time. You can't have one without the other.

Ultimately though if you go out of your way to listen to and appreciate music, by definition you care about gear one way or another, weather that be a Sonos play1, a pair of ear buds or a multi thousand pound hifi your going out of your way to buy the best sound you can afford/willing to afford. So ultimately you care about gear.

AJM1981

Music.

I have traveled and been abroad for many years and listened to music on whatever came across that was not really hi-fi as in the minds of some.

There is a lot of air in hi-fi. Often it is also exists because people like to “look at it and admire it” as part of their music experience.

Furniture with a plus, art in some cases

AJM1981

I'm sure some do, especially those who are obsessive about finding every possible iota of quality improvement, real or imagined, that they can afford.

For me, the music matters most.
When it comes to an amp or a loudspeaker, it could also just be a great piece of iconic art / design to look at every day. That's perhaps not that much about music. But for me it is a factor that I would probably just keep my gear, even if I would lose my interest in hi-fi in general. The wife acceptance factor also counts, which is luckily on the positive side here.

Terry H

May 4, 2023
Visit site
It is a good question, for me its music first and has been since my first album back in the early 70's. But I won't say no to an LP12 if I can get one.

Sadly many people with deep pockets will just splash the cash on high end gear irrespective of whether their listening habit justifies the spend or not.

Owning a LP12 to play a dozen LP's probably isn't as unusual as it might sound, if you have the cash and you want to treat yourself to a top line HiFi you're going to do it, in many ways those with loads of money probably see an LP12 the same way as others see a Rega P3.
Nothing wrong with a correctly set up RP3 in the correct balanced system , i have an RP3 ,Rotel RA03,Monitor Audio Silver speakers and love the sound.Also have a REGA Brio R and Pioneer A400 , but to my aging ears the Rotel sounds the best,i'm not saying an LP12 wouldn't be better but how far do u go with an LP12 ? £2000, £20,000 and would u really notice a difference . jmho, each to to their own, enjoy the music if it puts a smile on your face

Last edited:

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site

I have always loved music, and listen to it all the time (I'm listening to Night Hawk by Coleman Hawkins as I type this). Hi-Fi equipment is just a means to an end for me. But comments on other threads have made me realise some people are into the the equipment more than the music. This became even more starkly true recently when I met a person who has a Sondek LP12, but owns less than a dozen records and probably doesn't play them often.

I'm sure some people will say both, or their hobby is listening to music and they don't distinguish between the music and the equipment. All opinions are valid, I'm just curious what people think.
When ever I've been asked this question I always answer music, the equipment is a means to an end.

I picked up a copy of WHFSAV in tescos a few weeks back and the guy next to me said not much in it this week, I said I thought there would be as the show was last week.

He asked what equipment I had and then told me, a Gyrodec was in there then he starts talking about streaming and the next 20 mins or more are talking about new music he's finding online.

2 mins talking about hifi 20 mins talking about music, I think that'd probably be true for most people on this forum. BTW he was 72.

Oxfordian

I think you can be both things. The only time I critically appraise the gear in a way that takes priority over the music is when auditioning. I actually hate doing it because it can actually spoil music listening and it’s something to be got through as soon as possible.
IMHO if the music is to be enjoyed at its best then the kit we own needs to perform at its best, so for me auditions are important and should not be rushed if we are to get the result our ears enjoy for years to come.

Oxfordian

Nothing wrong with a correctly set up RP3 in the correct balanced system , i have an RP3 ,Rotel RA03,Monitor Audio Silver speakers and love the sound.Also have a REGA Brio R and Pioneer A400 , but to my aging ears the Rotel sounds the best,i'm not saying an LP12 wouldn't be better but how far do u go with an LP12 ? £2000, £20,000 and would u really notice a difference . jmho, each to to their own, enjoy the music if it puts a smile on your face
I have fond memories of a Rega's P3 in a number of guises, it was my first 'proper' turntable many many years ago, sadly it got ruined in a leaky loft along with most of my other HiFi kit, the P3 I own now has replaced it. And, yes you're right it is a great turntable.

But an LP12, yes I would like one, but as yet no lottery win has come my way so that will have to wait a while, you're correct in that they can cost a bit if you constantly tweak the turntable with upgrades but you don't have to upgrade it at all if you don't want to.

And this is the great thing about our routes to musical nirvana, all different and not one of them wrong.

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
IMHO if the music is to be enjoyed at its best then the kit we own needs to perform at its best, so for me auditions are important and should not be rushed if we are to get the result our ears enjoy for years to come.
Agreed. I was being a bit too shorthand. Should have said auditions take as long as is necessary - I just wish I could enjoy the experience more, which is why I try not to do it too often!😀

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site

I truly appreciate that you share my appreciation for Night Hawk; I have very little interest in how or with what you are listening to it nor in how our equipment for appreciating it compares.

(Of course, let us acknowledge where we are, and recognize that WHAT HI-FI? IS, has always been primarily about equipment, and music tends to get squeezed in here.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts