Are the Pioneer SC-LX56 or the 86 a good choice if I want a good all rounder with good quality CD audio playback?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have been looking at a good all round AV amp that can provide good quality CD audio playback and a decent quality sound via AirPlay from iTunes. I have been looking at the Pioneer SC-LX56 and 86 and wondered whether;

1. Whether either of these AV amps are suitable for decent quality stereo audio

2. Whether I should be looking at alternatives.

Current kit includes B & W 600 series home theatre speaker package, Panasonic bluray, marantz cd, technics stereo amplifier, apple airport express, arcam rLink.

Thanks,

Much appreciated

michael hoy

Hi,

I have the 85 with Apex speakers and an Oppo 95.

I am more than happy with the music side of this combination, the Pioneer is run in Direct mode for stereo.

I do stream from the Oppo and sometimes use the Air play from my iPad 2.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
This is very late, but I have the Pioneer 86 and no it doesn't sound great with music, none of these receivers do full stop. I do wish magazines and web sites would stop misleading people. Any of these surround receivers can be beaten on sound quality for music by a 300 quid amplifier.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Just my opinion, but I have owned Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneer AV Amps over the last 10 or 12 years, and I haven't heard one yet that sounds half decent with just music through two speakers.

michael hoy

Roundhead 5000 said:
This is very late, but I have the Pioneer 86 and no it doesn't sound great with music, none of these receivers do full stop. I do wish magazines and web sites would stop misleading people. Any of these surround receivers can be beaten on sound quality for music by a 300 quid amplifier.

I have to disagree.

my Pioneer 85 within my set up sounds very good with music, just need to make sure it is set up correctly.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I suppose it depends what you mean by "decent".

My preference for CD playback is Arcam; though if you get an AVR with pre-outs into a stereo amp with HT bypass, this can be a good way round the problem.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I totally disagree too, the Pioneer is sensational. I set up an LX56 for a friend yesterday connected to an RX6 MA package, The onboard DAC in the Pioneer is more than enough for musical needs, if you are an AV person, and right up there with a good HIFI Amp. Just be aware that your setup is only as good as your source.

CnoEvil is correct on Arcam being better, the AVR 400 is superb with music, but this is not a 4k ready AV, if that does not matter, then go for it! Do note, for me the Pioneer trumps the Arcam for Cinema.

I believe a demo is in order.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts