Are my tweeters dying

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
geneticaurora said:
Just tried a completely different amp ssssh its a Fisher CA35 (doesent sound bad weirdly) and still the same issue so atleast that rules out the Audiolab more. But I will try using my media player through the power to eliminate it even further. Also tried a different interconnect so ruled that out. Yes its the same from all sources
I think that is pretty conclusive that it's the speakers at fault.

geneticaurora said:
I spoke with Wimslow Audio and they mentioned a tweeter replacement but I should definitely consider replacing the capacitors on the crossover.
Are replacement tweeters still available ? You could try replacing the caps in crossover but I would be shocked if it was them. Any overload to that extent would have vaporised the voice coils long before damaging the capacitors, but it's worth a try as it will be the cheapest option.

Yes I would have thought so. This is a kind of a mind screw because I plug in a Fisher CA35 Circa 1980 / 1981 (not really hifi) and blows the audiolab out of the water that cannot be right. Ok still the same problem I need to whack the treble up but the Fisher is no real hifi amp. This is quite frustrating, in future I will buy new

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention, yes the TDL's are still well caterd for with a good following ecspecially with those who like big throaty bass. Wimslow Audio advised that there are many replacements for these speakers so happy days. CHeers man

A

Anonymous

As much as I hate to say this but the Audiolab gear is the stinker in the setup. Changed the tweeters all the caps and resistors in the crossover and ok sound a little better but still dull as ever. I even bought a NAD 514 from ebay thinking it would help the overall sound but I got ripped off as the CD Player jumps and skips like a hyperactive child. Arrrghhhh Richersounds have said they can get it checked out £40 but I am dubious. O well any recommendations for a second hand amp thats clear and punchy with a nice sparkly treble

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
geneticaurora said:
I recently purchased a pair of TDL RTL2 speakers and only now been able to use my Audiolab 8000c 8000p with decent ish speakers. I have noticed since the last time I head my audiolab (not with the TDL's) that I have to turn the treble all the way up to get a decent level in the High Frequency pressing the Tone Bypass just makes it sound like there's carpet over the speakers (ok not that bad but you get the just dull and no HF). I have changed all the cabling to Van Damme Blue Series Studio Grade aswell as the interconnects, changed the CD Player to a NAD 514 soooo.... What is my next move. I would be gutted if the Audiolab gear was up the spout since it will cost £200 to get it serviced which is money I cant afford to flutter away.

Any help guidance or experience is valued. :)

Now let me think. If these are the bigguns, you've got KEF drivers in them. Oval bass unit ( B139 ) a mid and tweeter.

I've got the mids ( B110 SP1003 ) and tweeters (T27 ). Call me on 01562 865788 if the tweeters are duff and we'll work something out.

As regards what wilmslow audio said, yes. they can do a replacement job but it won't be the original drivers coz KEF don't make them any more.

Richard Allen said:
geneticaurora said:
I recently purchased a pair of TDL RTL2 speakers and only now been able to use my Audiolab 8000c 8000p with decent ish speakers. I have noticed since the last time I head my audiolab (not with the TDL's) that I have to turn the treble all the way up to get a decent level in the High Frequency pressing the Tone Bypass just makes it sound like there's carpet over the speakers (ok not that bad but you get the just dull and no HF). I have changed all the cabling to Van Damme Blue Series Studio Grade aswell as the interconnects, changed the CD Player to a NAD 514 soooo.... What is my next move. I would be gutted if the Audiolab gear was up the spout since it will cost £200 to get it serviced which is money I cant afford to flutter away.

Any help guidance or experience is valued. :)

Now let me think. If these are the bigguns, you've got KEF drivers in them. Oval bass unit ( B139 ) a mid and tweeter.

I've got the mids ( B110 SP1003 ) and tweeters (T27 ). Call me on 01562 865788 if the tweeters are duff and we'll work something out.

As regards what wilmslow audio said, yes. they can do a replacement job but it won't be the original drivers coz KEF don't make them any more.

Nice one Richard! G'morning by the way.

If you go back 2 posts from yours you will see he has actually changed the tweeters and its the amp that's the problem.

A

Anonymous

Sorry dude TDL are like a planet away from KEF. And only Mordaunt short used oval shaped speakers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
geneticaurora said:
Sorry dude TDL are like a planet away from KEF. And only Mordaunt short used oval shaped speakers

Old KEF

images

Newer KEF

q7_550.jpg

KEF B139 spec sheet

KEFB139.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts