Are ARC and CEC standards?

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm having trouble with my Onkyo 609 amp and Samsung D7000 not talking to each other very well, and while looking around for help I'm wondering if either Audio Return Channel and / or Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) are standards that mean equipment will work across different manufacturers?

Samsung, I note, has a big disclaimer that it won't work with other manufacturer's equipment - I had assumed that they would work together and I could use a Samsung TV with a Onkyo amp.

Rob

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Audio Return Channel should be standardised, as is HDMI-CEC, but within the latter every manufacturer has its own variations tailored to the requirements of its own products, which is where clashes and unpredictable operation can occur.

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Andrew.

I'll ask Richer Sounds about getting my TV and amp to work with each other on ARC as that's the bit I'm really interested in - if needs be I can cope with pressing a few extra buttons.

I also seem to have either a dodgy cable or HDMI 1 input on the AMP.

Plus I need to swap the Panasonic 310 as mentioned elsewhere - I don't think I can stretch to the CA you mentioned earlier, so will have to go for MultiRegion DVD only for now.

Cheers

Rob

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, just spoke to the very helpful chap at my local Richer Sounds where I bought stuff from and he said they've had all sorts of problems with the Audio Return Channel. This seems to back up my quick forum search, although that may mean nothing other than a few vocal people are having issues.

The best bet seems to be buying another lead (not just replacing the HDMI, but buying the optical cable too). Hmm :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts