Are £1200 speakers really worth it ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

abacus said:
I would not normally recommend buying anything blind, but for the price, you are not going to lose anything if you decide to sell them on because you don’t like them. (Good amplification is essential though and make sure it is neutral sounding)

Bill

+1 to this. You can resell for no or minimal loss if you don't like them. I, for one, heard a pair with my system in a dealer's room, and thought they sounded very, very good. Would've been my option if I wasn't unsure about how the bass would behave in my room, and opted for standmounts instead. But the A5r had a more "complete" sound than my current PM1 s, and felt apropriate for all kinds of music. Very musical, and great tone.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
Now we know you're aquainted with studios, I'd have thought you'd be able to get something fairly domestic, related to a pro brand you like.  Or even some casts offs, from a refit?!

Do actives not appeal?  If so, there are several current threads extolling their benefits in great depth.

I guess the OP's expertise wouldn't go amiss in the active speakers thread. :)

Can't find what amp the OP has. If in doubt at least make sure you get a 'returns' just in case they don't sound right.

Agree with Cno. Spendor tend to have a smoother DNA than some other brands. Having tested A5 and SA-1 they are better suited to the likes of Cyrus, Rotel...

jjbomber said:
i7x said:
I have been offered a pair of Spendor A5r speakers at a pretty good price and i have the cash for them ...... i use to love the sound of a freinds older Spendor

Yes, without question. You have the cash and you like the Spendor sound. If you change your mind, you could sell these and get your money back. Worst case scenario, you may lose a little, though equally you may even make a profit. These are 5-star £2,000 speakers. Go for it before someone else does.

''More things are lost by indecision than bad decision''.

+1 If you have the right room for them.

TRENDING THREADS