Arcam rWAVE dongle makes my internet slow..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

My rWAVE when plugged into the macbook really seems to affect the speed of my internet for some reason, it makes it crawl! I know its the rWAVE as when I unplug it and reconnect to the internet its up to normal speed, plug it back in again and it knackers it straight away :O

Has anyone else experienced this?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Your wireless network will run at the speed of the slowest thing in it.

If someone had an all 802.11n network and plugged in an 802.11g device, then the whole network will run at 'g' speed.

A

Anonymous

I thought the rWAVE was bluetooth? As far as i know its not connected to my homehub?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Apparently it uses something called 'KLEER' (whatever that is) so it shouldn't interract with your wireless.

But, from your description, I guess it does.

Maybe Arcam support can help.

karlmc

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
Kleer uses the same 2.4GHz frequency range as wireless 802.11 so first thing I would try is to change the wireless network channel on your router.

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Walkzinho

I have been experiencing the exact same problem. It is definitely rWave because I then remove it and it is all fine. Mine is also a Mac book. I don't know if this is a Mac specific issue :(

Mine is one of the first rWave not sure if the latest ones have an updated software that might address this problem.

A

Anonymous

I am not at work to check with the guys who really know the answer but, from memory, it is to do with where the Mac's wireless aerial is situated - i.e. very close to the USB sockets. A short USB extender cable from the USB socket to the rWave should fix this.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply John,

that kinda negates the whole portable aspect of the rWAVE though, my usual listening environment is with laptop in my lap or at the desk doing work, I bought the rDAC to get away from cables!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey Walkzinho, to me this sounds like network interference. I would try to change the channel of the router to something less common, this will increase internet speeds as well as reduce interference since there are probably tens of wifi networks in your area. Second, I would suggest you change your router to something that has a 5ghz network if you are using a laptop/pc which can connect to 5ghz networks. 5ghz is usually not a frequency used by microwaves, cordless telephones and certainly not Kleer devices if I recall correctly. I also find that the 5ghz network on my airport extreme is faster than the 2.4 ghz network. Mind you, there are drawbacks to a 5ghz network, it's range is a little less than the 2.4 ghz ones....but shouldn't be an issue if you have a medium sized house.

Regards,
Shafin

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any extenders with me. So, will try once I get one.

Walkzinho,

You get cable extenders that are just a few inches in length which is not bad.

A

Anonymous

Walkzinho said:
Thanks for your reply John,

that kinda negates the whole portable aspect of the rWAVE though, my usual listening environment is with laptop in my lap or at the desk doing work, I bought the rDAC to get away from cables!

As far as I know this issue is a Mac laptop one so it is perhaps not fair to blame the rWAVE ;) And, as someone else just said, you can get very short extenders. It's worth a try.... let us know how you get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts