ARCAM Repair

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I have an AVR500 (about 9 years old) which after a couple of weeks cutting out and switching itself off (because I think it was overheating again) has now gone pop and won't work. Something very similar happened three years ago which Arcam very reluctantly repaired for free, but won't this time. They have quoted £480 to repair it. Does anyone know of someone or a company that can repair it for what might be regareded as a more sensible price?

Or does anyone have an opinion as to what it's worth in its current state?

Arcam have suffered from reliability issues, although 9 years is a pretty good time in an electronics' life. Considering the amp was worth £3500, £480 for repair seems a fair price. Personally, I would get a new one. You could ask Arcam if you could trade up to their newer amps....asking for a loyalty discount for sticking with Arcam.

Arcam have suffered from reliability issues, although 9 years is a pretty good time in an electronics' life. Considering the amp was worth £3500, £480 for repair seems a fair price. Personally, I would get a new one. You could ask Arcam if you could trade up to their newer amps....asking for a loyalty discount for sticking with Arcam.
To be honest if my amp died after nine years Arcam is the last place I would be going for another....

Hello all,

I have an AVR500 (about 9 years old) which after a couple of weeks cutting out and switching itself off (because I think it was overheating again) has now gone pop and won't work. Something very similar happened three years ago which Arcam very reluctantly repaired for free, but won't this time. They have quoted £480 to repair it. Does anyone know of someone or a company that can repair it for what might be regareded as a more sensible price?

It'll be worth next to nothing in it's current state.
My advice would be look on eBay for prices they have attained in the past then bite the bullet and pay for repairs, then sell it as a going concern.

Reactions: KeithT

Pvs1969

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
The same happened to mine...they fixed it but it just went again.. I had a DVD player that also broke and I was stupid enough to but the bdp 100 Blu Ray player that only plays Blu rats when it feels like it .. majority of my arcam has been unreliable.. my best friend still owns a cheap Nad amp I gave him 30 years ago..but my £2500 arcam amp won't last 3 years.. I've finally had it with arcam..

Reactions: KeithT
D

Deleted member 2457

My next door neighbours have a Arcam 850 amp and that broke too but likely it was under warranty and they got that fixed.

Jgt123

Jan 23, 2022
Visit site
Hello all,

HI Keith T,

I am in an identical position.

Did you take the plunge and get it repaired by someone other than Arcam? If so could you let me know where and approximate price.

(Or did you flog it on ebay to some mug in Gloucester a few months ago!!!)

cheers

JGT

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
HI Keith T,

I am in an identical position.

Did you take the plunge and get it repaired by someone other than Arcam? If so could you let me know where and approximate price.

(Or did you flog it on ebay to some mug in Gloucester a few months ago!!!)

cheers

JGT
Was you the guy who bought it?

Last edited:

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I once got done on eBay with a Pioneer 50 5090 TV! Made quite a bit of noise warming up and cooling down! Paid £1000 for it and ended selling it on eBay again for £500 saying on the listing the problem.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello all,

Amplifier
Hello all,

Amplifier Repair Services repair vintage Arcam amps. I don't know if 9 years is regarded as vintage though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts