Arcam rDAC and rPAC

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I currently have my Macbook connected to the rDAC using the USB input and I never use any of the other inputs.

As I only use the USB input I was thinking about swapping it for the rPAC, but would I lose any quality or is the rPAC simply the rDAC with a single input?

The headphone out on the rPAC would also be useful, but the Dac would primarily be used for Hifi.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The rPAC and rDAC are not the same internally. DAC chip wise the rDAC uses a wolfson WM8741 whereas the rPAC uses a Burr Brown PCM5102. If that's different you can bet that a bunch of other things are too. In a recent WHF blind test between the two DACs the rPAC was pretty clearly picked as the better sounding but this could be down to its presentation.

It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to save yourself some money and go for the smaller unit, you might prefer it. The rPAC is USB powered so makes a nice option for portable use with a laptop and headphones. Its the best sounding USB bus powered device that I have heard so far.

I really like the rPAC but find the Yulond U100 even better for about the same money. Its a bit better on the detail and closer to neutral (The rPAC seems a bit on the warm side by comparison), it also has a proper volume dial and can be used as a headphone amp only too. On the down side the Yulong is quite a bit bigger and needs mains power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts