Arcam or onkyo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looks like I'm in the market for a change of amplifier. So the ones I'm looking at are Arcam alpha 8 pre and power amp combination. Which I would hope would give me a warm smooth sound or a onkyo a 9050. Looks like it's going to be a 5 star amp and I do have the tx8050 and the onkyo c7070 so I do like the onkyo sound. So to very different amplifier s.what do you think? Any other amps you would consider pros. And cons

A

Anonymous

i have just read the onkyo review in whf lean sound so thats out.so maybe a rega brio r.they seem to have a warm sound anyone on here use one as there main amp?

aversaurus said:
Looks like I'm in the market for a change of amplifier. So the ones I'm looking at are Arcam alpha 8 pre and power amp combination. Which I would hope would give me a warm smooth sound or a onkyo a 9050. Looks like it's going to be a 5 star amp and I do have the tx8050 and the onkyo c7070 so I do like the onkyo sound. So to very different amplifier s.what do you think? Any other amps you would consider pros. And cons

The TX-8050, according to some owners, betters a lot of sub-£1000 integrated amps. Whether that's true or not I couldn't say, but I think, if sound quality is the goal, you'll need to stretch your budget a lot further: Look at Creek Evo2 or other amp of similar quality.

T

the record spot

Yip, and I'd be one of them. Delivers a massive amount in a small package. I'd take it over the new budget Onkyo range too. 100wpc, four digital inputs, Spotify onboard, can take a power amp and a subwoofer, quite a neutral sound, so it's straight down to your speakers and CD player or whatever. Fabulous for the money.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a s/hand alpha 9 last year and love the sound of it, feels warm, not laid back, can listen to it for hours and often do as I have it in a room with my computer.It has plenty of power and produces plenty of air in the sound and is certainly not bright or harsh as the B&W speakers I use with have a slightly bright top end so in my opinion they work well together.

I have not heard the Alpha 8/power combo but if it is much the same as the 9 I would be happy, the amp only cost me £130 w/o phono stage.

I personally find Creek amps a little to laid back and 'dry' sounding but that is only my view,

Good luck with your choice, do try and hear first of course.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I actually just upgraded to the Onkyo A-9070 from a Rega Brio 3. The bass on the Onkyo is amazing: tight, controlled, and extremely detailed. Vocals are very clean and have a degree of warmth, unlike the A-9050. Actually it has the eloquent sound of my Rega, but with better bass and extended highs. I was surprised by how similar it sounded compared to my Rega Brio 3, but everything sounded tighter and more defined with the A-9070. The A-9050 is excellent for the money, but there is no info display which is a shame and the onboard dac is of inferior quality. Rotel RA-10 is also excellent for the money, but it really needs a remote.

Here's my list of recommended amps:

1. Nuforce DDA-100

2. Pioneer A-70

3. Vincent SV-400

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts