Arcam irDAC Interger mode?

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Does anyone know if the new Arcam irDAC supports Direct and Interger mode with Audirvana Plus and Pure Music apps on a Mac?

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
For those interested yes it does support Direct and Interger mode and sounds brilliant in my system replacing my M2Tech Young! ...Time to sell the M2Tech!

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
As a matter of fact yes, but this wasn't the reason. If the M2Tech had still been better i would have kept it.

The Interger mode makes all the difference, especially in bass definition, was a shame the M2Tech did not support this.

I had the rDAC before the M2Tech and the improvement was significant in the replacement, but the irDAC is a different animal and is a mighty impressive DAC for the price. Seems to balance well in my system with the Exposure 3010S2 and PMC Twenty 23's despite the price and gives me the sound i was after, which is what matters at the end of the day ;)

jianu

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gary,

I have the Yonge and had the same problem, I bought a HiFace 2 and now I can use integer mode with Audirvana plus with a BNC digital cable.

When I heard about irDac I was very curious to listen to it and that because I had the rDac before the Young. I've got an irDac for a home trial and did listening sesions comparing irDac with the Young with hiFace 2. In my system even though I wanted the irdac to sound better it didn't. It was very close but the Young sounded more refined to my ears. I wanted the irDac for the remote but is going back to the store.

I thought you myight be interested to try this.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I looked at the option of adding a HiFace 2 in the chain but to be honest i don't want a HiFace 2 , another cable and more things in the chain cluttering up everything. I think it's ridiculous that for the money the Young costs, to get Interger mode and improve the sound you have to pay another couple of hundred quid on another device from the same company (convenient that!) , and another cable and then a decent power supply! That's without another extra power supply in the USB chain from the HiFace 2 to the Young to ensure maximum voltage if you want to improve EVEN further!

I tried the irDAC , nice and compact all in one, and in my system the irDAC was better in Interger mode and balanced better with my components giving me the sound i wanted. Without all the extra "bits and bobs" :clap:

Therefore i have made the switch and am not looking back at all!

The irDAC has in fact got better and better the more it has settled in. After about 3 days use it opens up even more.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
garyw77 said:
Hi

I looked at the option of adding a HiFace 2 in the chain but to be honest i don't want a HiFace 2 , another cable and more things in the chain cluttering up everything. I think it's ridiculous that for the money the Young costs, to get Interger mode and improve the sound you have to pay another couple of hundred quid on another device from the same company (convenient that!) , and another cable and then a decent power supply! That's without another extra power supply in the USB chain from the HiFace 2 to the Young to ensure maximum voltage if you want to improve EVEN further!

I tried the irDAC , nice and compact all in one, and in my system the irDAC was better in Interger mode and balanced better with my components giving me the sound i wanted. Without all the extra "bits and bobs" :clap:

Therefore i have made the switch and am not looking back at all!

The irDAC has in fact got better and better the more it has settled in. After about 3 days use it opens up even more.

Sounds very appealing especially if it improves on the original rDac.......good luck in selling the Young by the way (saw it on ebay) :beer:

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site

The Young is a steal at that price if you are after one that is for sure, but i am well happy with the irDAC.

With regard to an improvement on the old rDAC, there is no contest. I had one before and this is way better.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just been reading the thread and wondered if you considered the Exposure dac ?

I have not heard the Young dac but interested people prefer the ir dac which I have listened to .

I am looking/waiting to find Exposure or Naim V1 at an acceptable price, I think I will have to be very patient.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Just been reading the thread and wondered if you considered the Exposure dac ? I have not heard the Young dac but interested people prefer the ir dac which I have listened to . I am looking/waiting to find Exposure or Naim V1 at an acceptable price, I think I will have to be very patient.

TBO my purchase will max out at £500 so the Exposure is not on my radar at £800.

The Naim had been on Ebay a couple of times at around £1000 which is probably the best you can do until ex-dems start appearing (not anytime soon)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts