Arcam FMJ UDP411 review, £1,200

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
In the new (number 244, March 2015) issue of Home Cinema Choice there is a very positive review of the Arcam FMJ UDP411 Blu-ray player, listed price £1,200. The Oppo 105D and Pioneer LX88 are given as its peers. Arcam devotees will purr over phrases such as "Image quality is positively divine." and "The UDP411 proves a peerless multichannel audio source, too."

However, on the debit side it doesn't play DVD-Audio discs, and two further omissions cripple it, for me at least: one, it has only one HDMI output and two, it lacks 7.1 multichannel analogue outputs. I do realise that for other people those omissions will not matter.

D

Deleted member 2457

HCC still guilty of doing people on Blu-Ray players too.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Well gel, I really don't see what in the HCC review could possibly be taken as screwing people, presumably Arcam. The negative comments (about no 7.1 outputs etc) in my initial post were mine, not HCC's.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Well gel, I really don't see what in the HCC review could possibly be taken as screwing people, presumably Arcam. The negative comments (about no 7.1 outputs etc) in my initial post were mine, not HCC's.
Stating that there are differences between Blu-Ray players with image quality when there aren't. This they are guilty off and in turn they are screwing money out of people.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
To be precise, gel, on this occasion HCC didn't actually say that there were differences in Blu-ray image quality. They said that the image quality of the Arcam was good, for instance "image quality from native HD is jaw-droppingly good" but they don't directly compare its image quality with any other player, not in this review anyway.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
To be precise, gel, on this occasion HCC didn't actually say that there were differences in Blu-ray image quality. They said that the image quality of the Arcam was good, for instance "image quality from native HD is jaw-droppingly good" but they don't directly compare its image quality with any other player, not in this review anyway.
Still guilty of it though.

D

Deleted member 2457

What it should say is Blu-Ray image quality the same as other players, not make people think a £1200 Blu-Ray player is actually worth it.

OliG

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to get the UDP411 in order to match the rest of my system, but couldn't justify the extra cost over the Oppo 105D given the limitations that it has. As well as those mentioned, according to the manual it doesn't play FLAC files.

In the US, the Arcam sells for $1999 compared to $1299 for the Oppo.

D

Deleted member 116933

I thought new legislation came in a while back stating that to meet some safty requirment that all anologue connections where to removed in newer machines Im pretty sure i read that some where.

So i dont think any of the new players will have 7.1 outputs..... But i could very wrong and havn't researched blu ray spinners for the longest time since my pioneer 320 is still going strong.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
It would be good if you could remember where you read that analogue connections were to be removed from new Blu-ray machines. In the meantime, Oppo contines to provide 7.1 outputs on both the 103D and 105D machines, as does Panasonic on the 700 Blu-Ray players. And, as I said, most machines still give stereo analogue outputs.

Oh, and if your Pioneer 320 is still going strong, there's no need to change it! *smile*

D

Deleted member 116933

Yeah the Pioneer is an awsome machine and havn't seen anything (in it's price range) coming close to sound and picture.

I got my wires crossed slightly they are no longer able to supply them with Analoge video connection but becasue the audio outs seem to also share part of analoge board its cheaper to remove it completly it seems, thus making it cheaper to make the machine. Heres a link! It makes it more differcult to copy the disc. People ruin it for other people

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=230112

Though why Arcam which are a company of tradition choose to remove these if they dont have to is beyound me.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
At least a thousand pounds more than you need to spend.

at least the Oppo players offer something different. Not just 7.1 out, but it's a proper processor with volume control. 2 hdmi inputs make it a one box solution with active speakers assuming you don't need more inputs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts