Arcam FMJ AVR400

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Question to the team please.

Im sure I read somewhere that you were due to do a review of this avr amp in the latest issue but its not in there ? Maybe I have got that wrong, if so apologies ?

I know Arcam have showcased it at Bristol.

Can you tell us when it will get a review please ?

Its on my wish list ( if its as good as I am hoping ).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam AVR-400 has gone into a Group Test of @£1500-£2000 AV amps/receivers (alongside rivals from Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer) that will feature in our next, May issue - with subscribers from 7th April and in shops by 11th.

It's a fascinating test, including a full-page review of each product.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Clare,

Will WHF be carrying out a review of the Anthem MRX 700? This is a great receiver and would be good to see how it compares to something like the Arcam AVR400 for musical capabilities.

Many thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Perfect.

Sounds like its going to be a really good issue, with this and the dac reviews.

Really looking forward to it.

Dont suppose theirs a Sony amp in that Supertest ?

Nope - this is three new models vs the incumbent Pioneer Award winner. No point adding in the older Sonys we've already tested around that price, as the Pioneer had beaten them already....

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
psurquhart said:
Perfect.

Sounds like its going to be a really good issue, with this and the dac reviews.

Really looking forward to it.

Dont suppose theirs a Sony amp in that Supertest ?

Nope - this is three new models vs the incumbent Pioneer Award winner. No point adding in the older Sonys we've already tested around that price, as the Pioneer had beaten them already....

Dont really understand this comment Claire ?

Because since the older Sony da5400es, which dominated your best buys for so long until the Pioneer knocked it off top spot, you have not reviewed its predeccessors at all ?

Two models have come out after that and yet you guys have never tested either ? Models being the da5500es and the newly released da5600es ? The Sony da5400es was an award winner in 2009 ?

Find it really hard to understand too ? You guys have a really good relation with Sony and Eric Kingdon ( the Uk Sony guy ) and yet have not once reviewed these two amps ?

I own the excellent Sony da5400es hence my interest.

Could it be that the amps are just not good enough to warrant a group test, hence why Sony dont supply you with any to review ?

I am desperate to know how they compare to their rivals and yet we still have no reviews ? Dont understand why as mentioned, the Sony's are surely worthy of a review ?

I have no brand preference but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, you're right - I was getting confused with the Sony 'DA3600ES, which is in the next price-point down. As you can read from the (three-star) review, we didn't rate it highly.

Similar story in past two years with all but the (excellent) entry-level models in the Sony receiver range - which I suspect is why we haven't had the flagship models in for review. And with so many other superb options available out there, i'm not going to rush out and splash @£1500 on buying one to test!

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Went to my local dealers yesterday to enquire about this amp.

The two guys I know pulled very funny faces when I mentioned this amp - perhaps its as troubled as the others in glitches too ?

However, the guy at Sevonoaks was raving about it, saying that its been built up from new and all the problems have been solved ?

Even more interested to see what you guys have to say about it in the upcoming review.

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to some good reviews on this. Particularly interested in how good the onboard DAC is, especially compared to, say, the R-DAC. If it's in any way comparable then I think this could be a really great buy.

DAC, DAB radio, AV Amp, good 2 channel performance (really interested to know just *how* good, too, and to what sort of level dedicated 2 Ch amp it would be the equivalent of).

Does the WHF review go into any of these other dimensions, or is it just a comparative review with the other AV amps?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Oooh looking forward to this review, went to the Arcam demo of this at the Bristol show and it sounded pretty flippin' good! :)

Ian.

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
[EDIT: This first bit is in reply to the original poster!]

It's in the latest issue, as part of a comparative test.

Fairly well regarded, but pipped by the Pioneer LX83 for five stars.

I had a demo at Sevenoaks SAV in Maidstone the other day. I was mostly interested in the music side of things as I'm still looking for a one-box solution for my lounge, only had an hour or so for the demo and figured that if the amp was good enough for stereo music, any multi-channel movie performance would be a bonus, so concentrated on that. It was set up with CM8s and fed using a Sonos, so prepared for it to blow my socks off. I believe it was a digital connection from the Sonos, so the internal DAC(s?) were being used. I wasn't hugely familiar with a lot of the demo music on their Sonos as it was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment demo, but there were a few tracks there that I was pretty familiar with.

The system sounded very good on slower, more open tracks and vocals. Bass wasn't hugely evident, but there was enough there to round out the bottom end of a lot of the music, and I don't know how they had their little sub set up. A very pleasant listen.

When we switched up to some faster music, though, it all seemed to fall apart a wee bit. A track that totally messes with the midrange of my system at home is Muse's Assassin (think a bit like Iron Maiden doing a cover of the Knight Rider theme!). Now, my system at home is what you would consider budget - essentially a Dacmagic feeding a CA 640A (v1) paired with Kef IQ5SEs. This has given me a great deal of pleasure so far, but it does have a tendency to be a bit bright, and coupled with a large expanse of open wooden floor, tracks like this are less than a pleasure to listen to.

I was expecting this setup, in a dedicated demo room with all the attendant tweaks - well-placed wall hangings and baffles, not to mention a *perfectly* positioned couch - to rather tear my system to shreds. But the fact is, that it didn't. Assassin was almost as muddied in the midrange as it is on my home system, and I listened to it as a comparative exercise rather than for any kind of pleasure. the demo system seemed to be like this for any very busy music.

Overall, I came away pretty underwhelmed, I have to say. The guys at sevenoaks seemed to think that it was likely to be a source issue, rather than the setup itself, and I didn't have the time to persist with separate sources, or something like an external DAC.

I'd be really interested to hear other people's experiences too, as I had expected much greater things from this system.

In the meantime, I went away, patting myself on the back for saving myself 1800 squids! Still on the lookout for an upgrade to the 640A, tho...

Cheers!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Has anyone out there bought one of these yet ?

Or has Arcams bubble well and truely burst ?

Your best hope is to look on another AV forum, in the "Arcam products" section. Generally it is very well received.

On here, Duaplex gave it a fair review, even though he ultimately went with the Pioneer. IMO It's still the best option for music.

Regards

Cno

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with CnoEvil. Musically its great and if you love the sound of Arcam you are going to fall in love with the AV.

I went for the Pioneer because I like the brighter sound and found that it ticked all the boxes for movies.

Demo away, thats my advice ;)

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi David,

In you opinion is the AVR 400 equally good in movie mode or not as potent as the LX83 and 3008 when it comes to AV.

Thanks

Rod

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would be a little biased here, but if I was to choose an amp purely for AV, it'd be the LX83. The Arcam will usually have the benefit of it's amplification over most rivals, but I like Pioneer's digital ICE amps. As for music, although the Pioneer sounds fine to me, the Arcam will be better in this respect. A demo I did today, had the Apex speakers sounding better than I've heard them on most other AV receivers for 2 channel music. You'll usually find an AV receiver will be good at one or the other, or average at both. I'd say the 3008 is more of a movie receiver, but Onkyo are greatly improving on the music side of things.

Choose which is important to you, movies or music (or even both), and get a demo or two, and see what you think with your intended speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts