Arcam family traits

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
My early 90's Technics amp has finally packed it in and now as well as no "A" speaker output it powers itself down with a thump after only a couple of minutes of attempted use.

I have KEF R700 speakers and my first inclination is towards the Arcam A49, but after attempting to arrange a demo from dealers here in Auckland without success I finally contacted the NZ distributors who inform me that they don't bring this model in as they can't get dealers to support equipment at this price level, in other words they want dealers to carry stock for them. They don't even have a demo model in this country!

So the best I can do is listen to the A39 to decide if I like the "sound" and then if I do, buy the A49 blind!

There are other amps I will listen to as well (MF Nu-Vista 600, Hegel 190 and 360, Perreaux 255i ... ).

Why do I want to buy an amp I can't listen to? I really like the 50 watts of class A, and I like the concept of amps that double there output from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, and everything I read says it is a great match to my R700s.

So, to those who have heard both, can I learn anything at all by listening to its little brother?

rainsoothe

I haven't heard Arcam's higher range, but I liked the A19 a lot. I also had an A38 on home Dem, and it was great but the highs were a bit too forward for my room and speakers - it would've been great with Kef R series though, as I find them a bit unexciting. So yes, I think auditioning the A39 would be pretty relevant. Also, from your list, the Hegel 190 pops out as a good partner. Try Naim too :)

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
That is just peculiar. This is a repeat of a post/thread that has already had answers and I didn't repost?????????

Technics was an SU-VX800.

Lining up home demos at the moment of the A39 and Perreaux as a starting point.

A49 is readily available ex Australia, but that doesn't help with a home demo!

Thanks for the input guys.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Seakiwi said:
That is just peculiar. This is a repeat of a post/thread that has already had answers and I didn't repost?????????

Happens all the time on here, duplicate postings, it's a forum problem. Then members respond to different posts as they come up in order of last poster.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
Isn't sale of Class A amps banned in Australia? Hence impacting in anyway on availability in NZ? Could this be the cause?

By the way what Technics was it?
why are class a amps banned. Are you having a laugh :-D

Too hot, lol. Probably to do with energy efficiency. I think EU are considering banning them as well. Class D is the way to go.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
Isn't sale of Class A amps banned in Australia? Hence impacting in anyway on availability in NZ? Could this be the cause?

By the way what Technics was it?
why are class a amps banned. Are you having a laugh :-D

Too hot, lol. Probably to do with energy efficiency. I think EU are considering banning them as well. Class D is the way to go.
totally agree with that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts