Arcam DV88 as a CD player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have read varying reviews of the DV88 as a CD player so I'm now wondering if should stick to the DV88 for CD music or buy an alpha 9 player to match my bi amped alpha 9 set up with Linn Keilidh speakers. Open to other suggestions too.

Thanks....AP

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Hyperactive

Since you have had no replies, I will do my best.

I own a DV79 which is very good at playing CDs (for a DVD player) and similar to DV88.

I think an Alpha 9 would be better, but it is now long in the tooth, so you could be taking on trouble.

I would look at something newer, possibly from Arcam, as you like their house sound.

Hopefully others will chip in with other suggestions/advice

T

the record spot

Are you being influenced by what you read? If so and you enjoy the DV88, then either ignore the chat if you enjoy the sound of what you hear, or alternatively, invest in an offboard DAC alternatively. Musical Fidelity's V-DAC or M1 DAC, Firestone Audio's Spitfire II, or similar, should be a good starter for ten. Pricier alternatives from Shanling's smart DAC-50 at £600 upwards are readily available!

scene

I use both a DV88 and DV79 as cd players and they are both excellent. I'm not sure an Alpha 9 would be any better. As RS says, if you like it, stick with it. Do a comparative demo with anything else before you buy, if you are considering replacing it.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the advice.

I am very happy with the sound and so with leave the set up for now. I'll certain look at the option of an external DAC but will probably look at other players in the future.

Thanks again.

AP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts