Arcam DV79 DVD player.....

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone direct me to a review or give me an opinion on this player.....have a chance to buy one from a friend who knows a friend who's emigrating......just want to know if it is worth their asking price.........?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
What are you going to pay?

They are superb and a reason why I have no reason to upgrade to BluRay. The picture and sound are brilliant. I paid £260 for a 4 year old one, although it looked a good deal at the time a few months ago. Since then new ones have been advertised at £450/£499 as the model was being replaced.

They were £1,000 when new, and have HDMI capability.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Yeah they have HDMI but no upscaling or SACD capability....this is what was putting me off, I reckon I can get it for 100quid with a bit of smooth talking, but don't want to buy if the DVD picture is not up to the scaled pic with my Sony BD550 Blu-Ray.....

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
lcd4ever:but don't want to buy if the DVD picture is not up to the scaled pic with my Sony BD550 Blu-Ray.....

It won't be! I have the DV78 which also has a great picture - but that is relative to it's age (technology marches on) and the spec of the day. To expect it to match an upscaled picture from a state of the art upscaling deck like your Sony is too much.

If you want an Arcam and come close/equal your Sony then you will have to buy the DV135 which is a bargain at £299 now (maybe a bit less on Ebay). Then you get great upscaling and SACD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts