Arcam CD 73 vs Marantz CD-63 KI-Sig,

A

Anonymous

lucky you! .... connect to your existing amp/speakers ... take your time and decide what sounds best to you ....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It really all depends on your musical tastes and also the rest of your system but IMO; I'd be keeping the Arcam
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

my system sorry i should have said Musical Fidelity Elektra E20 Preamplifier Musical Fidelity Elektra E30 Power Amplifier Meridian A500 speaker
all old i know but sounds ok to me

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As dim_span said; best way to find out is to give them both a whirl but IMO the Arcam has a better, more fuller soundstage than the Marantz

matthewpiano

As already said some comparative listening will tell you all you need to know.

Personally I'd guess the Arcam might sound a little thick in the midrange with the MF gear and that the Marantz would give you superior clarity.

Both excellent players though.

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I also have both these players and spent a fair bit of time doing a/b listening tests (I've somehow ended up with some duplicate CDs and had a spare set of interconnects to use). I found with the Marantz that the vocals seemed more forward and fuller, like as if the singer was closer to you. The Marantz also seemed to be a bit more bloated in the bass. The Arcam seemed the more detailed of the two and had a wider, more open sound. I also tried the CD players using my various amps, speakers and cables, and the results were pretty consistent

Up until the Arcam started playing up I ended up swapping between the two, depending on my mood. Extra detail and openess aside, I think the Marantz is a more emotionally involving listen - it has a better foot tap factor. You could say the Arcam is the more audiophile, while the Marantz is the more musical. This maybe why they are still so popular today and are considered a classic.

As an aside, I noticed similar comparative traits when I compared the Marantz to the MF Trivista player I had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts