Arcam BDP300

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
It's got to do something really special (in terms of reliability) to win people back.

Or any of their products sadly - so much potential but so many gremilns.

Please, please, please Arcam - get back to form - I was such a fan of their products, they need to bridge that confidence gap (although the new dacs seem to be bringing back some hope).

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
I'll be interested to see if the BDP300 lives up to its £1k asking price.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

or the £500 upgrade from the BDP100 that they are asking for! I’m sitting on the fence just now I dont want to pay another £500 to go the 3d route after just paying that for the AVR600 upgrade.

iainl2005 said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

or the £500 upgrade from the BDP100 that they are asking for! I’m sitting on the fence just now I dont want to pay another £500 to go the 3d route after just paying that for the AVR600 upgrade.

How are you finding the Arcam? is it riddled with faults or is yours okay?

iainl2005 said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi iainl2005

£500 to upgrade to BDP100 to BDP300?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

manicm

Personally I don't see why Arcam bothers. They've obviously missed the HD picture i.e. Linn, Naim and Cyrus have all currently given up on video playback where once they all had it.

And sonically I'm sure the new Arcam will be a blast, but how much better will it be than the cream of the crop i.e. the top dog Denon/Marantz, and Oppo?

(I don't mention the CA 751BD because, in-line with some reviews, I find it sonically slightly dull with movies).

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
iainl2005 said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

How are you finding the Arcam? is it riddled with faults or is yours okay?

This is my second AVR600, first one worked great then one day the fans started coming on every 10 minutes, the new one works great though.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
iainl2005 said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi iainl2005

£500 to upgrade to BDP100 to BDP300?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rather offensive isnt it.

When released Arcam stated that there would be 3d upgrade available for the machine... anyone know a good lawyer?

A

Anonymous

Hi there. call me mad, fool-hardy, or just straight crazy but I've just bought a BDP300 and that after previously owning an AVR500.

Anyway bottom line is I auditioned it against the Denon 2012 and then the Oppo 95, and the Arcam won for me, both in terms of image quality and sound quality. The Oppo came close, but when auditioned on my system it was too bright/edgy for my liking even though it gave a tad more definition and separation.

I've now used the BDP300 for 3 days - and it hasn't failed yet. Nevertheless I'm still holding my breath, while loving what it delivers. Outstanding.

A

Anonymous

To be honest I didn't review against the BDP100 this time. I reviewed it 3 or 4 months back and in the test IMHO I thought both PQ and sound quality shaded the Oppo 95.

My problem was that I didn't trust it, and I didn't test with CD's.

So at that time I wasn't convinced by either even though I went to the dealer ready to buy the Oppo.

Thats the best I can give you I'm afraid.

PS Amazingly its almost lasted a week without any problems. And Adele at the Albert Hall sounds awesome.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
No noise from arcam ,about their new player yet,only a small bit on there web site .Has anybody heard anything yet.???

You would of thought that they would be shouting from the roof tops about how good it is.

fatboyslim1966

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Just to say I have the AVR600 with the BDP300 and they both work perfectly together. However I did have 3 BDP100's before and they all failed to work properly for one reason or another over a 15 month period so I upgraded to the BDP300. Now the load speeds of the BDP300 are brilliant, really quick and the response from the remote excellent, the BDP300 does appear to be a totally different monster with different software and now appears to be a great investment after testing my patience to an extreme! Also to add you can now update it's firware from the internet direct and it appears to be multi-region which is all excellent news!

fatboyslim1966

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Picture and sound is superb, I've not found a fault with it yet, totally different to the BDP100 which had soooo many issues! The best bit is the load speeds and response from the remote, both were diabolical on the BDP100, so very impressed with that...

A

Anonymous

Tempting, still living in hope for a professional review soon.

A

Anonymous

The Swedish "HemmaBio" magazine's issue No. 9 September 2012 has made ​​a test.
According to the test in the Home Theater magazine the ARCAM BDP 300 player got average rating. They take up examples as HDMI coulor Space, which Arcam not working quite optimally with.

The upsampling of chroma is done with a simple method called "nearest Neighbour". This is the method used in those cheap DVD players. So the players chroma upsampling performance are average and results in blocky/jagged colour contours.

But it got top ratings for sound on CD.
They have not compared with any other player in the test, but describes the sound as CD player via the analogue output as it sounds really balanced. Clear defination of mainly vocals, drums and cymbals where the player keeps apart the sounds when the music is tight and increases in the intensity. Airy and open would be keywords for those seeking a sound character.

tombuc2

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
High time for a review indeed. What's stopping the good folk at What Hi-Fi? I notice the review of the BDP 100 gave lots of thumbs up for the essentials of sound and picture, but all flawed by useability issues ... some slight improvement on 2nd go but not enough to get up to 4 stars. Meanwhile reliability and eccentricity remains a worry... If the BDP 300 has resolved these (and seems that on disc loading speed it certainly has) then it could be as big a happening as the once all conquering DV79 in merging great video with real hi-fi audio. A review would be great along with a spin out with the likes of Cambridge Audio BD752 and Oppo/Marantz/Denon rivals. And timely...especially now Arcam are offering a £400 off trade in,! But dare I trade-in my trusty DV79 which sounds soooo much better on CD than my Sony blu-ray ? So how's about it gang? Arcam may not deserve it after the BDP100 but it may be that the BDP300 does?

tombuc2

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
High time for a review indeed. What's stopping the good folk at What Hi-Fi?

I notice the review of the BDP 100 gave lots of thumbs up for the essentials of sound and picture, but all flawed by useability issues ... some slight improvement on 2nd go but not enough to get up to 4 stars. Meanwhile reliability and eccentricity remains a worry...

If the BDP 300 has resolved these (and seems that on disc loading speed it certainly has) then it could be as big a happening as the once all conquering DV79 in merging great video with real hi-fi audio.

A review would be great along with a spin out with the likes of Cambridge Audio BD752 and Oppo/Marantz/Denon rivals.

And timely...especially now Arcam are offering a £400 off trade in,! But dare I trade-in my trusty DV79 which sounds soooo much better on CD than my Sony blu-ray ?

So how's about it gang? Arcam may not deserve it after the BDP100 but it may be that the BDP300 does?

tombuc2

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
High time for a review indeed. What's stopping the good folk at What Hi-Fi?

I notice the review of the BDP 100 gave lots of thumbs up for the essentials of sound and picture, but all flawed by useability issues ... some slight improvement on 2nd go but not enough to get up to 4 stars. Meanwhile reliability and eccentricity remains a worry...

If the BDP 300 has resolved these (and seems that on disc loading speed it certainly has) then it could be as big a happening as the once all conquering DV79 in merging great video with real hi-fi audio.

A review would be great along with a spin out with the likes of Cambridge Audio BD752 and Oppo/Marantz/Denon rivals.

And timely...especially now Arcam are offering a £400 off trade in,! But dare I trade-in my trusty DV79 which sounds soooo much better on CD than my Sony blu-ray ?

So how's about it gang? Arcam may not deserve it after the BDP100 but it may be that the BDP300 does?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts