Arcam BDP300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

You can get a Marantz UD7007 at under 700 quid, so who really cares? The BDP-300 may well be an excellent machine, but my gut tells me Arcam won't bother next time - I'd like to know how many of these they're selling? I'd also worry about obsolescence if 4k machines are indeed around the corner.

D

Deleted member 2457

manicm said:
You can get a Marantz UD7007 at under 700 quid, so who really cares? The BDP-300 may well be an excellent machine, but my gut tells me Arcam won't bother next time - I'd like to know how many of these they're selling? I'd also worry about obsolescence if 4k machines are indeed around the corner.

Agreed, or even better an Oppo 103 for under £500!

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all,i must say after moved on from the bdp 100 to the bdp300,the bdp 300 is much better than the 100,the picture load speeds the sound is much better both on film and music,iam really pleased with it,i have had no problems with crashes or not loading disc,it an all round a better player,but saying that I wished I never sold my fmg 139 that was truly a master piece,sometimes i'd have trouble telling the difference between bluray and dvd.but I do give the thumbs up to fmj bdp 300 to any one thinking about buying one.cheers david

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i will be getting my bdp300 today!

Will be comparing the stereo sound quality to my dv79.

Hopefully there will be a difference as they say the bdp300 basically the same as the high end cd37! bargin if you ask me. CD,DVD and blueray. Job done!

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
i will be getting my bdp300 today!

Will be comparing the stereo sound quality to my dv79.

Hopefully there will be a difference as they say the bdp300 basically the same as the high end cd37! bargin if you ask me. CD,DVD and blueray. Job done!

Hi Dean,

Any chance of that comparison please if you are out there ?

Cheers

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi

There after a a few good hours listening i can safely say there are improvements over the dv79.

Music has become cleaner and more balanced listen with added excitment listening back to old albums. Bass seems deeper and tighter... can this happen just from the upgraded source?

I'm really pleased with but it has high lighted weak areas in my setup. Mainly the TV when watching blueray. I was expecting the picture to be superb but my TV is quite old and its shows! Its a Plasma and my mate said that plasma lose there quality over years? mine must be 4 years old now.

I'm really looking forward to a TV upgrade and getting a new Arcam AV amp 450 or 750 at some point. This will be a killer setup.

I know Arcam take alot of flack but when i love there sound! I think if you look at all music genres Arcam handles most style more consistantly than any other i have listened too. My opinion i know and everyones ears are different.

Hope thats helped i'm not the best at "reviews"

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
If you take in a old arcam player for a trade in they have chopped another £100 off the price so you can get one for £500.

at £1k I think the unit is expensive but £500 is on the money

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
kmlav said:
If you take in a old arcam player for a trade in they have chopped another £100 off the price so you can get one for £500.

Nice spot !

Bit off topic, but how are you finding your Arcam AVR400 ? Mini review would be good, thinking of buying one and you owners are still relatively rare ! Is yours trouble free ?

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
psurquhart said:
kmlav said:

Nice spot !

Bit off topic, but how are you finding your Arcam AVR400 ? Mini review would be good, thinking of buying one and you owners are still relatively rare ! Is yours trouble free ?

I got mine when they first came out and it has been fine with no faults.

Overall its a good unit and offers a really good balance between good hi fi sound and AV. I have not used it for 2 channel for ages as I use the Cyrus kit which also runs the front L&R for AV but I can recall enjoying the 2 channel reproduction before I had my current set up. I would compare it to a decent mid range integrated amp for 2 channel.

What Hi Fi claim its a bit underpowered which in some ways is true as for really pumping up the sound for movies you will be using almost all the units power however this is really loud and well beyond the sort of volumes most understanding neighbours would put up with.

My brother recently got a Pioneer LX 57 from my local shop so we set it up my set up and I will have to say that the Arcam functionality seems a bit agricultural in comparison. This would go for some of the features such as the network stuff which is just to clunky to practically use.

Overall I would say that its a good unit and as they are now discontinued you can get one for a bargain and at that sort of money its a no brainer. It does not have all the latest features and bells and whistles, or any bells and whistles, but its a solid performer that makes me smile every time i watch a movie.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts