Arcam AVR600 or Pioneer SC-LX82?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Yes, it is indeed a strange question as both machines are not really comparable. 
I currently own a Marantz SR7400 with a 7.1 speaker set-up made up of the Quad L series system (12L (front) + 11L (surround) + central and subw.) and two AE in-ceiling speakers as rear speakers.
I think the Pioneer SC-LX82 could be a good match for my current speaker set but I'm thinking about expanding my budget and going for the Arcam AVR600. As a result the following questions arise:
1) Possibly my Quads are not good enough for the Arcam, am I right?2) If I need to upgrade, what set of speakers would you recommend? I would probably initially upgrade my front + central speaker and then gradually upgrade the rest so, ideally, the new central and front speakers should blend well with my Quad surrounds. What do you think?3) Is the difference between the Pioneer and the Arcam that big that justifiy the price difference (I will audition them next week so that would be a critical decision point). 
Many thanks to everyone in advance for your help and I apologize if some of my questions may sound too obvious for some of you.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd say the transition to the Arcam will be the easiest for you, as both of those manufacturers are well known for their high quality amplification. Pioneer use digital amplification, which will suit some and not others, and produces a faster, leaner sound than most AV amps. What you prefer depends on your requirements - an audition is the only way forward here.

As for speakers, you'll probably be surprised at how good your Quads will sound on both of these amps, especially the Arcam. If you still felt the need to upgrade, I wouldn't worry about getting fronts that match in with your Quad surrounds - choose the speakers you like, especially if the surrounds will be changed at a later date. If you choose some to match your surrounds, you'll be limiting your choice.

The Arcam is definitely a better amplifier, it's just whether you think it's worth the extra - I'm not the one paying for it! You could also look at the AVR500 if you liked the sound of the Arcam but thought it wasn't quite worth the extra.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You got in just before me, pete! I was going to make exactly the same suggestion - complicating matters. I am VERY happy with the sound of my Quad speakers (12L2 fronts) with the RX-V3800. I imagine its bigger brother would sound even better. David didn't mention it in his reply, which is surprising as I know he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

godfather10:Yes, it is indeed a strange question as both machines are not really comparable.

I currently own a Marantz SR7400 with a 7.1 speaker set-up made up of the Quad L series system (12L (front) + 11L (surround) + central and subw.) and two AE in-ceiling speakers as rear speakers.

I think the Pioneer SC-LX82 could be a good match for my current speaker set but I'm thinking about expanding my budget and going for the Arcam AVR600. As a result the following questions arise:

1) Possibly my Quads are not good enough for the Arcam, am I right?
2) If I need to upgrade, what set of speakers would you recommend? I would probably initially upgrade my front + central speaker and then gradually upgrade the rest so, ideally, the new central and front speakers should blend well with my Quad surrounds. What do you think?
3) Is the difference between the Pioneer and the Arcam that big that justifiy the price difference (I will audition them next week so that would be a critical decision point).

Many thanks to everyone in advance for your help and I apologize if some of my questions may sound too obvious for some of you.

Hi godfather10

I think that you should also consider Yamaha's DSP-Z7 AV amplifier. I have said it many times before that i believe the DSP-Z7 to be the finest VFM AV amplifier currently available on the market irrespective of price (even at its full RRP of £1960). The DSP-Z7 can generally be had now for around £1.5k making it (dare in say it) a bargain.

Your speakers are still good enough to work with the AVR600, SC-LX82 and the DSP-Z7 so i would not concern yourself too much about them just yet.

The DSP-Z7 is better with movies than the AVR600 and the AVR600 is superior to the DSP-Z7 with music. However i don't believe the AVR600's superior two channel justifies the £1.5k premium (at RRP) over the DSP-Z7 let alone a £2k difference.

The DSP-Z7 is a cracking AV amp and one that is more than likely to be enjoyed for many years to come.
emotion-1.gif

For me Yamaha inspires confidence.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

pete321:

I got a refund on my buggy Arcam AVR600 and replaced it with a Yamaha DSP-Z7 and haven't looked back since.

Hi pete321

You beat me to it!
emotion-2.gif

I am glad you are happy with your DSP-Z7. Yamaha inspires confidence.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Sorreltiger:You got in just before me, pete! I was going to make exactly the same suggestion - complicating matters. I am VERY happy with the sound of my Quad speakers (12L2 fronts) with the RX-V3800. I imagine its bigger brother would sound even better. David didn't mention it in his reply, which is surprising as I know he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Hi Sorreltiger

You beat me to it too!

Your RX-V3800 is still a superb amp (i miss it
emotion-6.gif
- hold on to it for as long as you can
emotion-1.gif
) however the DSP-Z7 is better.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Just to set my mind at rest please tell me I wouldnt notice any noticable difference between my Pioneer LX81 amp and the Yamaha Z7.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Pete321 and Rick.
I will definitely take your suggestions into account as the price premium is hefty. I would use my system 50% for music and 50% for films so my choice is kind of difficult but obviously the big price gap is a big argument.
Will keep you posted on my final decision.

godfather10:Thanks Pete321 and Rick.

I will definitely take your suggestions into account as the price premium is hefty. I would use my system 50% for music and 50% for films so my choice is kind of difficult but obviously the big price gap is a big argument.

Hi godfather10

Your welcome.

The premiums involved are far too much to justify any gains in performamce.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:pete321:

I got a refund on my buggy Arcam AVR600 and replaced it with a Yamaha DSP-Z7 and haven't looked back since.

I am glad you are happy with your DSP-Z7. Yamaha inspires confidence.
emotion-1.gif

Rick @ Musicraft

I expect to be even happier with it next week! It's away at the moment having all 16 NE5532 opamps replaced with the more modern LM4562 opamps. I expect the performance to go up a notch or two, especially with openness and detail. The company who have done the upgrade for me say that the capacitors used in the Z7 (Nichicon Finegold) are already good quality, it was just the opamps that were letting the side down. The Z11 uses more opamps than the Z7, but in the more crucial areas of the circuit, it's LM4562's that are fitted in the Z11.

The cost of the actual opamps is £80, 8 on the digital circuit board and 8 on the analogue board. Apparently the internal goings on of the Z7 are particularly complex, because of this I don't think they want to do another one as the labour costs would be too high. I just hope they can remember how to put it back together again!

DSCF0038.jpg

A

Anonymous

godfather10:

Yes, it is indeed a strange question as both machines are not really comparable.
Yes, Arcam is £3500 and Pioneer is £2000, almost twice the price. SC-LX82 vs DSPZ7 is more on the ball.
GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
barnsleydave:Just to set my mind at rest please tell me I wouldnt notice any noticable difference between my Pioneer LX81 amp and the Yamaha Z7.

With your Tannoys the Pioneer still remains your best bet. The Yamaha would be different no doubt about it but not better. You need the LX90 Dave..........

pete321:I expect to be even happier with it next week! It's away at the moment having all 16 NE5532 opamps replaced with the more modern LM4562 opamps. I expect the performance to go up a notch or two, especially with openness and detail

Hi pete321

Please report back with your findings.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TheHomeCinemaCentre:

barnsleydave:Just to set my mind at rest please tell me I wouldnt notice any noticable difference between my Pioneer LX81 amp and the Yamaha Z7.

With your Tannoys the Pioneer still remains your best bet. The Yamaha would be different no doubt about it but not better. You need the LX90 Dave..........

Hi Nick

But then again at a similar RRP to the SC-LX90 there is the DSP-Z11.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

godfather10:Thanks Pete321 and Rick.

I have Quad 22L2 hooked up to a Pioneer LX81 and while I am very happy with the sound from my speakers, I found sometimes with music, it would sound a bit harsh on the trebles (e.g. Taylor Swift's Crazier). It's not as big an issue for movies though. I hadn't had a chance to demo the Yamaha so can't really comment on that. I also don't think it is necessary to pay the price premium but keep to the amps in the price range of the LX82 or the Z7.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts