Arcam avr 600 or Pioneer sclx59

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys I know I have already asked a lot of questions before, I think I have finally kind of come to a conclusion but I need advice once more. First of all I don't see myself upgrading to 4k anytime soon as long as my tv works. I am thinking of buying the Arcam avr600 -can't afford the current model- to kill two birds with one stone. If I intergrate the arcam as a pre-amp with my current hifi I am hoping to have some Arcam sound-which I love and miss- and taking the first step towards a surround system as well.

What do you guys think? Or should I get the Pioneer sclx59. I can get both for great prices. Just to let you know the arcam still has 2 year guarantee left. The reason why I posted in hifi forum is because music is more important to me than surround sound. I can deal with average surround sound but music has to be ideal that's why I am thinking of the Arcam avr 600. Also I know the arcam 600 range had many problems but I am getting it checked out with Arcam to make sure it is one of the good ones with no prior history of problems. And also If I do in the future want to up grade to 4k I can always use the Arcam as a simple hifi amp when the time comes.

Any advice will be great. Thanks

abacus

The Arcam 600 is great with music, with the LX59 not being too bad, however when it comes to home cinema the LX59 easily blows the Arcam 600 out of the water.

The latest Arcam series are top notch with both music and movies. (Avoid the series in-between as they suck with both music and movies)

Roksan products edge more towards the Pioneer sound rather than the Arcam sound which may affect your decision.

If it was me personally, I would get rid of the Roksan and get an AVR 850 or 550) or the Anthem 1100 or 720 and use for all purposes. (Having separates for music and cinema at this level is pointless, as a simple blind test will prove)

Hope this helps

Bill

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I agree with your advice but unfortunately I can afford those products-well I can but my family would ship me off to Broadmoor. I think I need think alittle bit longer on which decision I make even though want to go with the Arcam avr 600, I love the Arcam sound. But I also do understand the Pioneer does have 4k.

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
So would the Arcam avr 600 be a good buy if I don't plan on buying a 4k tv any time soon? I am thinking of using it as a amp when I do get a 4k tv in the future-hopefully not to soon.

abacus

Unless you were thinking of trying to use the AVR 600 as a video switch box for 4k HDR, then the TV makes no difference as it will have its own 4K HDR sockets. (Assuming a 4K HDR TV)

If music is your priority, (And you are sure Home Cinema will be a non-entity to you (Are you really sure) then providing you can get the AVR 600 for a good price, and it matches the rest of your system/room, then go for it, but don’t buy blind without a test, unless the company you purchase the AVR 600 from has a solid returns policy.

Hope this helps

Bill

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your replies

-I can get the Arcam avr600 for £750 from a reputable dealer with 2 year warranty left.

-music is my priority and I do miss the Arcam sound -Callas does not sound the same on other setups I have tested at Audio T- however I do want pretty decent surround system. I buying preowned product so I know it's not going to have latest stuff like Atmos and up scaling. Also remember I do have to spend more soon on centre and side speakers whether I go with my old Mission 733 floor standers-cheaper option to match-or my Proac 140s.

-but what I do want is a machine that works and at least 3d option which I love.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts