Arcam alpha 9 and kef ls50- a good combo ?

Aled Clayton

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I have an aged system, based on an arcam alpha9 integrated (from 1995), currently running AE Evo-3 (fronts), and an old yamaha reciever.

I was thinking of splashing out on some components, hoping to improve stereo. (and still use for front movie use).

wil the arcam drive the kefs- i hear they are difficult to drive ?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
It should be able to drive it. Whether is a good match is another issue.

Not that it's any indicator, but here in Japan, most of the reviews match the hype here on WHF, but there were also a number of people complaining that it sounded muddy, boxy, muffled, etc. They almost universally had warm/laid back older Denon kit. Whether this means that the laid back sound of the Alpha 9 might not match the LS50 is impossible to say, but audition if possible. I've also seen a surprising number of LS50s available at 2nd hand dealers, which seems to indicate many people bought them on the back of the great reviews, but weren't impressed by them. Personally I think they are pretty good, but I've only heard them on the end of some Luxman and Accuphase kit with some serious grunt.

Aled Clayton

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. As I feared, need some real high end kit to drive the kefs well. :help:

Wonder what other speakers <800£ I should consider.

Anything from rega, or found cheep focal 712v (for £300) these things any good.

Difficult to audition, not in terns of location just time !

Cheerz

Okay -- I'm going to be really predictable here: Monitor Audio RX1 or GX50 or 100s would be more akin to the Arcam presentation. I've owned Arcam amps for the best part of 17 years before buying the Leema.

Best with: MA, Focal, PMC, Dali.

Avoid: Dynaudio.

Arcam, although impressive, need a speaker that's easy to drive, so look at 87db upwards. The PMC DB1i are 87, MAs between 89-91db and the same for Focals. On that basis I'd avoid LS50 as they require, so I've read, amplification with guts.

Ideal set-up is about synergy and not star ratings.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
In terms of spec., the Alpha 9 is probably OK. Whether it combines well with the LS50s is another issue, and I'd want to listen to the combination myself before spending that kind of money. I used to own an Alpha 9, and I think it has enough power (although better amps would get more from the speakers). My main concern is about the synergy with the Kefs. I wouldn't buy blind.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I would def give the ls50 a go with your amps, They are not that difficult to drive and I see kef have been using the arcam a38 to demo the ls50 at shows recently, so you would think they work well together.

Aled Clayton

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks everyone.

I hadn't really considered the mo GX50 or 100's assuming these way out of price range. But perhaps there's a deal to be had.

Are these as good as the much revered LS50's.

Hopefully when lotary winings finally happen, i can update the arcam also. Im assuming the fmj A18 and A19 are significant improvements ??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Alpha 9 is stable enough to drive the LS50s just fine. It may be a tad laid back for them, but there's plenty of grip and dynamics available to give the LS50s what they need. As mentioned, you'll need to try them together to see if they suit you. I would personally want a tighter sounding amp, but that is just to retain the natural characteristics of the KEFs.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Aled Clayton said:
Hopefully when lotary winings finally happen, i can update the arcam also. Im assuming the fmj A18 and A19 are significant improvements ??

They're certainly less powerful than the Alpha 9, but I'm a big fan of the Alpha 9, so I'd be aiming higher up if I were looking for an improvement. Unlike AV receivers which get renewed every year with new features, I don't think there are such big leaps in more mature technologies like amps and cd players, so I wouldn't expect newer entry level equipment to be better than older higher level equipment. They may have a different presentation that you prefer, but I'd argue that it is different rather than better (although that may be better for you personally).

My only regret was that I couldn't afford an Alpha 9 CD player at the time, although my Rotel CD player balanced out the laid back nature of the Alpha 9 (to the extent that I never realized the amp had a reputation for being warm and laid back).

Aled Clayton

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I also has an old rotel CD-p that worked well with the arcam.

currently the marantz cd6004 has this duty and its a great paring on simple programmes- voice and guitar is just superb, but lost in more complex music where it goes a bit muddy and indistinct.

Im assuming this is a trait of the amp and not the cd but i may be wrong.

perhaps i shouldnt be looking at new speakers but perhaps deal with the amp question.

so id the addition od alha-9p for bi-amping worth the £200 or so. always wanted one, but always couldnt quite afford this.

thanks everyone for contributions here, im learing load s !

Aled Clayton

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
upgrade the old arcam eh ?

So what did they do, and at what cost- (was it worth the spend?)

How was the sound altered ? :type:

errr..... ran out of questions more later no doubt.

I,ve found change of interconnects can dramatically alter how the alpha-9 sounds- over bright/harsh with some- and just smooth with others.

Got an exotic rega-cable (of unlabelled nature) from my dealer- this seemed to hit the spot, and was £70, but got rid of the trebble fatigue.

TrevC

Aled Clayton said:
I have an aged system, based on an arcam alpha9 integrated (from 1995), currently running AE Evo-3 (fronts), and an old yamaha reciever.

I was thinking of splashing out on some components, hoping to improve stereo. (and still use for front movie use).

wil the arcam drive the kefs- i hear they are difficult to drive ?

I have the KEFs. The impedance curve suggests an easy load, but they like plenty of power due to low efficiency. Suck it and see.

Aled Clayton

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks for details of the mods to the arcam.

I'll have a real thik on this- i guess to get that level of sound from a new bit kit there's a big spend involved- so whilst £350 sounds like a lump I guess its a good way of going about it.

bit of a gamble though- what if you didn't like the changes- they'd charge you another £350 to put all the old bits back in ! :rofl:

would be good for the environment if this approach of updating components was more widely considered - less waste.

(Incidentally I was running AE106 with this amp, and they were a reasonably good partnership at the time I recall- ones tastes change with time, so looking for refinement now not just big and loud !). My dad has these now, listening to choral music- errrr rather him than me.

Aled Clayton said:
thanks for details of the mods to the arcam.

I'll have a real thik on this- i guess to get that level of sound from a new bit kit there's a big spend involved- so whilst £350 sounds like a lump I guess its a good way of going about it.

bit of a gamble though- what if you didn't like the changes- they'd charge you another £350 to put all the old bits back in ! :rofl:

would be good for the environment if this approach of updating components was more widely considered - less waste.

(Incidentally I was running AE106 with this amp, and they were a reasonably good partnership at the time I recall- ones tastes change with time, so looking for refinement now not just big and loud !). My dad has these now, listening to choral music- errrr rather him than me.

Get the right speakers first and worry about modifying later. When I had my A65+ I was seriously thinking about adding a power amp but the wife didn't want additional boxes. Have to say it was the best decision.

The Alpha 9 is a capable amp, wven without pimping it up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts