Arcam Alpha 8R Amplifier - need some help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I was recently looking for a starting setup and was going to buy a pm6003 and went to test it in the shop and was happy enough anyway went to my GF dads house and he had a Arcam Alpha 8R and it sounded great and decided i wanted one.

I have found one for £120 in very good condition do you think this is a good deal?

Also what speakers would you recomend with this amp my room is quite small so looking at getting bookshelf speakers of a max budget of £350

Thanks,

Jacob

John Duncan

If you like it, yes it's a good deal.

What speakers did you like it with? I'd take the amp into a dealer and try a few as they can have very different presentations; Monitor Audio and KEF would be my first ports of call with that amp though, and as leftfield suggestions Dali Zensor and Usher S-520.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I love my 8R. It has that lovely Arcam warmth yet packs a decent punch. The only minus for me is not enough tape loops, but then I'm a bit of an analogue dinosaur and it probably isn't much of a consideration in this day & age
old.gif
. £120 is reasonable.

A

Anonymous

Yes i love what i have seen and heard about the amp so far and my uncle just gave me a call and said he had some B&W 602 speakers he has that have hardly been used because he travels a lot and said if i like the sound of them i can have them for only 100 pounds so going to go over to his this weekend and try them out with the arcam amp.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Really just agreeing with other comments, I bought an Alpha 9 and am currently using B&W speakers and they seem to match pretty well.

The slightly warmer delivery of the Arcam doesn't bring out the slight harshness of the tweeters,I hope you enjoy what you hear, looking forward to your thoughts.

Good Luck

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replys i have one more question all the stuff i am buying doesnt have any cables what cables will i need to get.

Also i managed to find a local ad in my corner shop selling a Arcam A80 for 80 pounds which looks like a really good bargain and from reviews i found that it goes well with the B&W speakers so getting that.

Setup will be PC - Dacmagic - Arcam A80 - B&W speakers

sorry for the noobish question but wont be able to visit a shop to get the cables as i will be going away soon and just want to order them online.

Thanks, Jacob

Jacob Law said:
Thanks for the replys i have one more question all the stuff i am buying doesnt have any cables what cables will i need to get.

Also i managed to find a local ad in my corner shop selling a Arcam A80 for 80 pounds which looks like a really good bargain and from reviews i found that it goes well with the B&W speakers so getting that.

Setup will be PC - Dacmagic - Arcam A80 - B&W speakers

sorry for the noobish question but wont be able to visit a shop to get the cables as i will be going away soon and just want to order them online.

Thanks, Jacob

These will be perfectly adequate: http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-company-crimsonplus and Chord SilverScreen speaker wire. Chord work particularly well with Arcam.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Jacob Law said:

Thanks, Jacob

Wow! Ace bargain mate. Enjoy! :cheers:

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Jacob Law said:
Also i managed to find a local ad in my corner shop selling a Arcam A80 for 80 pounds

Are you sure there isn't a "1" before the 80?

Assuming it's in good working order that's a steal!

A

Anonymous

Yup spoke to the person on the phone today going to pick it up after work he said he has only used it twice since buying it new. He gave me his adress and its a really posh area so he prob doesnt really care about the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts