Arcam alpha 7r amp and Arcam alpha 8se CD player

popjac11

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have inherited the aforementioned combo of the Arcam alpha series 7r amp and 8se cd player over the weekend along with some mission 773 floor standing speakers, but have yet to try them out.

Does anybody know if these are any good?? Can they still cut it by today's standards? Apparently they were pretty pricey back in their day!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 8se and 7r would've been about £1k's worth in their day, and were popular with people who didn't like the typical CD sound. The 'Alpha' series was warmer and smoother than today's Arcams, having a wider appeal. I'd sell the speakers on and look into something else - maybe some second hand Ruarks or Regas.

A

Anonymous

This is my first post that ive actually gave advice rather than ask for it!
emotion-2.gif

I have an Alpha 7se cdp and Alpha 8r amp. This was connected to a set of B&W 601s2 speakers. I loved the sound. As David said it was quite a warm sound and never hard on the ears. I got quite into dance music and wanted a bit more oomph so I added an Alpha 8P power amp. The difference was amazing. Like my amps had been given a shot of Adrenaline. Tighter, punchy bass. The treble sparkled a whole lot more. Just all round crisper and sharper but still not harsh.

I know this is is a slightly different system to yours but id say you would benefit greatly from adding an 8P amp. Youll get one for bout £125 from a well known auction site. As far as speakers go id say any of the the B&W 600 series would be a good bet.

Whatever speakers you get Id definately add the power amp though.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

David mentioned Ruarks. These seem like a bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ruark-Acoustics-Talisman-II_W0QQitemZ230394182077QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash=item35a49039bd

Ive no experience of them but someone else might be able to give you an idea what theyre like.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They are, but I'd recommend an Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 power amp to go with those to get the best from them. I was thinking more along the lines of the Epilogue and the one above it, which the name escapes me right now. Sceptres I'd recommend a 9 power amp, and the only Ruark to steer clear of is the Templar - the runt of the "litter".

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
To answer the o.p.

That was some very nice kit when new and is still very nice now. I think it'll probably be a huge improvement over whatever you've been using previously. Take a good while and enjoy it before you start changing things.

popjac11

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Since posting I have had the chance to hook the system up and I really like the sound. I have been using them with my Grado sr80is. It's my first hifi separates package though so I have nothing to compare it to. Unfortunately, on of the mission speakers has blown and is missing a cone :( Any more recommendations for speakers to match them?

A

Anonymous

A pair of Monitor Audio RS1s would work well with that combo. I used to have the Alpha 8 integrated and power, biamping a pair of MA speakers. The addition of the power does indeed make a fair amount of difference (and for me was a great lesson in the importance of amp capability).

popjac11:

Since posting I have had the chance to hook the system up and I really like the sound. I have been using them with my Grado sr80is. It's my first hifi separates package though so I have nothing to compare it to. Unfortunately, on of the mission speakers has blown and is missing a cone :( Any more recommendations for speakers to match them?

Oh, yes. I bought a 7R amp 11 years ago and loved it (still got it in the loft). Arcam and Monitor Audio is some of the finest matches synergy-wise you can get for the money. Arcam works brilliantly with the Silver range, KEF IQ series, B&W and Ruark. Avoid Epos, Dynaudio, Neat etc. They're great speakers, don't get me wrong, but due to the Arcams sonic character, they are great bedfellows with MA RS range.

plastic penguin:popjac11:

Oh, yes. I bought a 7R amp 11 years ago and loved it (still got it in the loft). Arcam and Monitor Audio is some of the finest matches synergy-wise you can get for the money. Arcam works brilliantly with the Silver range, KEF IQ series, B&W and Ruark. Avoid Epos, Dynaudio, Neat etc. They're great speakers, don't get me wrong, but due to the Arcams sonic character, they are great bedfellows with MA RS range.

Just remembered - unless I'm completely wrong, I do believe Arcam used to test their amps (and still may do) with Monitor Audio speakers. If that's the case, then that's some recommendation!

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Just noticed this thread while researching possible new amps......I too have the excellent Arcam Alpha 7se cd player and am currently trying to procure either an Alpha 7 ,8, 9 or hopefully 10 amp to pair it with.....so question for you bobbyg81 if you are still out there....also on my possibles list is a NAD C340 just wondered if you found your Nad C370 better or worse than your Aplpha 8r you mentioned......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts