Arcam A65+ to Musical Fidelity X-Prev3 an upgrade?

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
I am currently running an Arcam A65+ into a P85. My speakers don't support bi-amping, so I have been considering a new MF X-pre v3 which can be found cheaply. My intention is to run it into the P85 until I can afford some good monoblocks.

I wouldn't get a chance to hear the MF though as I have to order it from another city. I am prepared to take the risk as the V3-pre seems to be reasonably well regarded and should be an upgrade. Has anyone compared the two or is able to speculate on the differences apparent between using the A65+ as a pre-amp vs the MF?

John Duncan

Tricky, since the power amp will have a lot to say here. I loved the v3 X-series, having had an X-80, and found it wonderfully natural, more body and dynamics than the A65. I personally think it would be a reasonable call, but to get the full benefit you'd need the X-poweramp as well. How much is the Pre (presumably in NZ$ though)?

A

Anonymous

Interesting one. Does the XPre 3 have an external PSU? It might well give you a cleaner sound over the Arcam. Uping the quality of the preamp is going to make a difference to the noise floor and detail level. When you use your A65 as a pre do you turn off the speakers? In other words, is the amp switched out?

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks folks,

Cost wise it works out to about 260 pounds new in the box. This may seem pricey for an old amp but things can be costly here. I wont lose much through selling my Arcam though so it is a pretty much cost-neutral upgrade. It might be fun to have it for a while even if I don't keep it long term.

No dedicated psu comes with this unit, though I could start looking for one. I'm hoping to find an XP 200 power amp too. If I can't find an Xp200 or two, I'll start looking at budget
mono-blocks (probably the Audiolab 8000M which can be found cheaply or the Quad 99-mono).

I like the 'plain' look and size of the X-prev3 which is some of the appeal.

Other options I am considering: I love the Quad QC-24 (style and sound) but the
lack of a remote impedes my innate laziness. I'm also tempted by the
Consonance T1-pre-amp.

Re: speaker switching. Not sure how I am set up to be honest (how embarrassing!).

What am I hoping to achieve? The Arcam combo is quite musical (though I think the P85 is the star of the two amps). Jazz and easy listening music is great but rock and grunge seem a little polite. Looking to put a different spin on this.

A

Anonymous

PSU for pre amp, I would suggest that it's definitely worth it. The preamp is a very important part of the signal process and one of the things that can contribute to a degraded signal is the power supply. By moving it out of harms way it should reduce the noise on the signal. This will hopefully help the pre do it's job of getting the signal through with minimal distortion. The result; lower noise floor, cleaner sound and more detailed. In theory...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Why don't you get an A85? Would make more sense than anything else on every level?

The A65 is gutless and it's well documented, the A85 is brilliant and a perfect match.

ÿ

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Why don't you get an A85? Would make more sense than anything else on every level?

The A65 is gutless and it's well documented, the A85 is brilliant and a perfect match.

I'd consider it if I could find one but I like the small form factor of the MF (even if the PSU means it is about the same in real terms). Wonder how the MF would go into a couple of Bel Cando Monoblocks?

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
The X-prev3 has now been installed for a couple of days. The most noticeable changes are that the bass is tighter and that vocals in the upper ranges are handled better. Separation of instruments seems better too.

The midrange is rendered differently to the A65+. At this stage I prefer the Arcam midrange but there isn't much in it and overall the x-prev3 is a significant upgrade

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts