Arcam a38 vs Exposure 3010s2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has any experience with the Arcam a38 or Exposure 3010s2 amp.

I want to upgrade from NAD 355, speakers are Monitor audio GS20.

thanks all

George

A

Anonymous

thanks for your reply

so Arcam vs Exposure is very different in sound? I like a neutral, clean sound not too aggressive, because the Monitor Audio can be a bit fatiguing. I did a demo with Naim XS on Monitor Audio GS20 but it was a bit fatiguing and I did not like the sound.

NAD was ok on the RS6, but on the GS20 I want some more detail.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Exposure is a lively sound with good bass. The previous generation had a treble that could harden up slightly, but I'm not sure if the same applies with the S2.

It was the for the reason you mentioned above that I thought the Arcam would be the safer bet.

Can you do a demo of both?

The other amps you might like to try are the MF M3i and the Leema Pulse.

Would you ever consider a Valve Amp like the Icon Audio Stereo 50 - I think it would sound fantastic with your speakers and imo give you the sound you're after?

Anyway, a lot to think about.

Cno

GeorgeK said:
thanks for your reply

so Arcam vs Exposure is very different in sound? I like a neutral, clean sound not too aggressive, because the Monitor Audio can be a bit fatiguing. I did a demo with Naim XS on Monitor Audio GS20 but it was a bit fatiguing and I did not like the sound.

NAD was ok on the RS6, but on the GS20 I want some more detail.

The ideal sound your looking for doesn't really fit the two amps you've mentioned: Arcam has a 'full bodied' sound while Exposure is very attacking, but lacks the subtlety of the Arcam. Like Cno says, and from personal experience, Arcam and MA are a terrific combo.

Depending on your source I'd look at Leema Pulse and also Roksan Kandy K2 or Caspian M1.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The ideal sound your looking for doesn't really fit the two amps you've mentioned: Arcam has a 'full bodied' sound while Exposure is very attacking, but lacks the subtlety of the Arcam. Like Cno says, and from personal experience, Arcam and MA are a terrific combo.

Depending on your source I'd look at Leema Pulse and also Roksan Kandy K2 or Caspian M1.

This could well prove to be the case, which is why I suggested some alternatives.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the replies,

I think it is very hard to describe for me but the Monitor Audio speakers sometimes exaggerate the high frequencies (s~ tones).

So I am looking for an amp with not too much energy in the high frequencies. I don't know how you call this, forwardness? brightness?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It was for this reason that I suggested the Arcam.

Would you consider a valve amp, like say Icon Audio Stereo 25?

What is your max budget?

A

Anonymous

Valve amp is not an option because I have a little boy who can touch the valves. I think this is a risk with small children (burning hands etc?)

But Hybryde is an option like the Unison amps.

Arcam a38 will be demoed for sure, I only want to demo in my own environment so I cannot try too many amps. Maybe 2-3 amps.

My budget is app. 1500 PDS

A

Anonymous

I think that will fit the bill.

So far I have:

-Arcam a38

-Unison Primo

So I need 1 more amp, with a not too exaggerated sound in the high frequencies in the max.1500 pds budget.

They will all 3 be home demoed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeK said:
I think that will fit the bill.

So far I have:

-Arcam a38

-Unison Primo

So I need 1 more amp, with a not too exaggerated sound in the high frequencies in the max.1500 pds budget.

They will all 3 be home demoed.

I will give you three in order of my preference (as not all makes will be available to you).
Electrocompaniet PI-1; Denson B-110 plus; Musical Fidelity M3i.

I will be very intrigued with how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Lol you are my personal adviser.

I can get the Musical Fidelity a5, because a friend of my dad owns one. Is that a good 3rd option?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeK said:
Lol you are my personal adviser.

I can get the Musical Fidelity a5, because a friend of my dad owns one. Is that a good 3rd option?

Don't laugh too much...you haven't seen my bill yet! ;)

The M series is a good step up from the A series.....but worth a go I suppose; though don't let it stop you from filling the third slot from one of the three listed above.

GeorgeK said:
thanks for the replies,

I think it is very hard to describe for me but the Monitor Audio speakers sometimes exaggerate the high frequencies (s~ tones).

So I am looking for an amp with not too much energy in the high frequencies. I don't know how you call this, forwardness? brightness?

For someone who's had MAs for many years, and you like a recessed top-end, I'll assure you little else will better Arcam. What they lack in attacking zeal they more than make-up for subtlety and detail.

If you're looking elsewhere, brand-wise, then Audio Analogue Crescendo is very capable, and ticks all your boxes.

A

Anonymous

The top 3:

Arcam a38

Unison Research Primo

Musical Fidelity M3i

Maybe I could add another 4th amp, the reduced primare i30? I demoed this amp a while ago on the gs20 and thought is was not forward in the treble.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The I30 is a very good amp (imo. better than the Class D that replaces it), as is PP's suggestion of Audio Analogue.

You are now spoiled for choice.

A

Anonymous

I am going to pick up the Arcam a38 today. They don't stock Unison, Musical F, A.Analogue.

If I don't like the Arcam, they do have the Primare i30 so I can swap the Arcam for Primare.

A

Anonymous

I did demo 2 amps today.

First was the Arcam A38, nice wide sound, but lacking some fine details and the bass was a bit uncontrolled.

2nd was the Moon i1 (nog on my list I know) I preferred that amp above the Arcam, nice clear highs but absolutely not harsh. Bottom end was much better then Arcam. Moon was a very good match.

So Moon i1 is my reference amp.

I could not find any Unison or Musical Fidelity amps to try at home, but tomorrow I am going to try the Exposure 3010S2 vs Moon i1.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeK said:
I did demo 2 amps today.

First was the Arcam A38, nice wide sound, but lacking some fine details and the bass was a bit uncontrolled.

2nd was the Moon i1 (nog on my list I know) I preferred that amp above the Arcam, nice clear highs but absolutely not harsh. Bottom end was much better then Arcam. Moon was a very good match.

So Moon i1 is my reference amp.

I could not find any Unison or Musical Fidelity amps to try at home, but tomorrow I am going to try the Exposure 3010S2 vs Moon i1.

Just shows how important demoing is. If you can, make sure you try the I30, which I think you may well like.....maybe combining the strengths of the Arcam and the Moon.

Also try the MF A5 you have access to, as that may also play to your taste. As your preference reveals itself, it becomes easier to make recommendations.

A

Anonymous

I will try to test the Primare next week.

Arcam is not bad at all by the way, I would rate it 4 stars, I would give the Moon 5 stars. So that is my reference but maybe there is another amp that will score 5+ and if so, I would give Arcam 3 and Moon 4.

I think What hifi works that way too, very cool to demo stuff at home.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeK said:
I will try to test the Primare next week.

Arcam is not bad at all by the way, I would rate it 4 stars, I would give the Moon 5 stars. So that is my reference but maybe there is another amp that will score 5+ and if so, I would give Arcam 3 and Moon 4.

I think What hifi works that way too, very cool to demo stuff at home.

Demoing at home is by far the best way, and it means you are building a good relationship with the dealer.

If you happen to like the MF A series, it will be worth seeking out the M series, as it's even better.

matthewpiano

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Creek Destiny 2. Will stand shoulder to shoulder with any of the other amps mentioned and is one of the most fluid, involving and beautifully balanced amps I've ever heard.

matthewpiano said:
Surprised no-one has mentioned the Creek Destiny 2. Will stand shoulder to shoulder with any of the other amps mentioned and is one of the most fluid, involving and beautifully balanced amps I've ever heard.

To be fair, Matthew, I don't think many have demo'd the Destiny 2 on here. Like you, I rate Creek very highly - based on the Evo 2. However, stockists are few and far between - same prob with a lot of brands.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:

To be fair, Matthew, I don't think many have demo'd the Destiny 2 on here. Like you, I rate Creek very highly - based on the Evo 2. However, stockists are few and far between - same prob with a lot of brands.

I own one and can tell you it has a very smooth sound with no hint of hardness, if anything it gets more self assured as the volume is cranked up. For holographic sound I don't think I've heard a (transistor) amp that can touch it in the same price bracket, my only criticism would be it can sometimes sound a little dry when compared to valves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts