Arcam A32 or Primare I30?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
TBH I don't see the point changing the Arcam Solo. MA RS6 are 91db (1m/1W).

This could easily be the best way to go....unless.....there are some better speakers planned in the not too distant future....in which case I'd go for the Primare and get speakers that sounded great with it (possibly Kef R500s). *diablo*

insider9

plastic penguin said:
@insider9

There's a flaw in your reasoning: You are comparing MA RX2 and an early Primare (one JD had for many years), and one he partnered with a number of speakers - PMC DBs and AVI passive standmounts are two that spring to mind. IIRC, and I'm going back to 2008 on this forum.

The RX range bears no resemblence to the older RS ranges. I will always love the RS6 but they do need careful partnering. On the flipside --I've heard the RX6, 2 and 1s -- the RX are more amp freindly.

Fair enough. I can only compare the components I've heard. I've been through quite a few speakers in the last year. Also had the small RS floorstanders, RS-5. I've not had either of them for long to be fair but gave a fair listen to both over a couple of weeks. They're decent speakers but I've not been smitten with either to be fair. As to overall difference from MA speakers I've owned and heard (B2, Bronze 2, BX-5, Silver 2, RX-2, RS-5, old gold floorstanders) I admit I preferred the older lines. As to difference RS-RX I don't think they're as far apart.

I appreciate that I don't compare like for like and that's a fair comment. I also appreciate that you have more experience so no problem there. If OP doesn't see my input useful that's fair enough. It's ultimately his decision :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Fair enough. I can only compare the components I've heard. I've been through quite a few speakers in the last year. Also had the small RS floorstanders, RS-5. I've not had either of them for long to be fair but gave a fair listen to both over a couple of weeks. They're decent speakers but I've not been smitten with either to be fair. As to overall difference from MA speakers I've owned and heard (B2, Bronze 2, BX-5, Silver 2, RX-2, RS-5, old gold floorstanders) I admit I preferred the older lines. As to difference RS-RX I don't think they're as far apart.

I appreciate that I don't compare like for like and that's a fair comment. I also appreciate that you have more experience so no problem there. If OP doesn't see my input useful that's fair enough. It's ultimately his decision :)

IMO. Everbody's input has been well meaning, comes from their own experience/knowledge and is based on their own individual taste....there is nothing else we can do. It's up to the OP to try and pick the bones out of it. *unknw*

@vlad

"TBH I don't see the point changing the Arcam Solo. MA RS6 are 91db (1m/1W). "

That seems logical. However, if you have a fairly low-powered, budget amp it can struggle (if cranked up) with the RS6s 6 ohms. That was the issue I had with the Arcam A65. No issues at low to medium but once the volume started to creep above 11 o'clock, in certain frequencies, clipping could be heard.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
@vlad

That seems logical. However, if you have a fairly low-powered, budget amp it can struggle (if cranked up) with the RS6s 6 ohms. That was the issue I had with the Arcam A65. No issues at low to medium but once the volume started to creep above 11 o'clock, in certain frequencies, clipping could be heard.

OMG I just saw the heatsinks used in the A65. Same ones used for 10W-20W class D chips. *biggrin*

gasolin

plastic penguin said:
@vlad

Lol most amps play loud at 9 o'clock max at around 10 o'clock and distort at 11 o'clock

https://youtu.be/JhuWuTDZiuI?t=20m38s

insider9

gasolin said:
plastic penguin said:
@vlad

"TBH I don't see the point changing the Arcam Solo. MA RS6 are 91db (1m/1W). "

Lol most amps play loud at 9 o'clock max at around 10 o'clock and distort at 11 o'clock

I take it you mean... Most POORLY designed amps do that.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
gasolin said:
plastic penguin said:
@vlad

"TBH I don't see the point changing the Arcam Solo. MA RS6 are 91db (1m/1W). "

Lol most amps play loud at 9 o'clock max at around 10 o'clock and distort at 11 o'clock

I take it you mean... Most POORLY designed amps do that.
Plus one

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts