Arcam A32 or Primare I30?

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I'm gradually upgrading and now have Monitor Audio RS6 speakers.

Amp wise I have narrowed it down to Arcam A32 or the Primare I30.

Love to read your input here. Thanks.

TheMaestro said:

You don't mention which sources you will be using. These amps have a slightly different presentation and you really need to be out auditioning these if spending this, or any, sort of money. Both should drive your speakers equally well.

Having owned Primare kit in the past and knowing it's quality I would consider the i30 with it's functionality to be the better buy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think if it was me, I'd go with the Arcam.....but only becase "I" would prefer it with the RS6. If you had warmer speakers, I would probably go with the Primare, as ultimately, it's probably a better amp.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Al ears said:
TheMaestro said:

You don't mention which sources you will be using. These amps have a slightly different presentation and you really need to be out auditioning these if spending this, or any, sort of money. Both should drive your speakers equally well.

Having owned Primare kit in the past and knowing it's quality I would consider the i30 with it's functionality to be the better buy.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I also have a lot of vinyl and I have the Thorens TD166 MKII turntable with an AT90E cartridge. Also have the Onkyo 6 CD changer 390. My musical preference is 70's disco, soul, jazz.

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi TheMaestro.

Interesting thread for me as I own the same speakers and have for about 5 months. Sorry it's a bit off topic but wondered what amps you run them with and how you find them?

Mine are connected to Cyrus 6 pre/power and biwired/amped. I find them very thin sounding, lacking in bass and just not quite what I'd hoped the setup would be! Seriously considering changing the pre/power for something else... I've read Arcam/Roksan would be good combo with these, but also thinking about picking up a Linn Exotik.

Id be interested to hear your thoughts of what you have now, and also your comparison once you switch to some new kit.

Cheers,

TheMaestro said:
Al ears said:
TheMaestro said:

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I also have a lot of vinyl and I have the Thorens TD166 MKII turntable with an AT90E cartridge. Also have the Onkyo 6 CD changer 390. My musical preference is 70's disco, soul, jazz.

Do you plan to get an external phono preamp to run a turntable with these amplifiers? Neither have an inbuilt phonostage in their standard form.

Having previously owned the RS6s for countless years, perhaps I can give a bit more insight:

Firstly, I auditioned the Primare i21 when I was looking for an amp upgrade. Compared to Arcam, the Primare offers up a well balanced sound. However, on ceratin tracks I found the high frequencies to be, compared to the Arcams, a little on the edgy side. I'm sure the Primare will be a good match but, depending on your room acoustics, the Arcam is a safer bet.

If you want to look past Arcam then Roksan Kandy, Creek Evo, Midrange Marantz (Pearl Lite or 8005). That said, Arcam and MA silver is a hard combo to beat.

amormusic said:
Hi TheMaestro.

Interesting thread for me as I own the same speakers and have for about 5 months. Sorry it's a bit off topic but wondered what amps you run them with and how you find them?

Mine are connected to Cyrus 6 pre/power and biwired/amped. I find them very thin sounding, lacking in bass and just not quite what I'd hoped the setup would be! Seriously considering changing the pre/power for something else... I've read Arcam/Roksan would be good combo with these, but also thinking about picking up a Linn Exotik.

Id be interested to hear your thoughts of what you have now, and also your comparison once you switch to some new kit.

Cheers,

Cyrus and MA silvers aren't a great combo. Before spending loads of money try single wired. However given the Cyrus 6 max's out at 40 watts per channel, the MAs, at 6 ohms, needs a gutsy amp to make the most of them.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Al ears said:
TheMaestro said:
Al ears said:
TheMaestro said:

Do you plan to get an external phono preamp to run a turntable with these amplifiers? Neither have an inbuilt phonostage in their standard form.

Forgot to mention I have the Cambridge P640 Phono amp.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
amormusic said:
Hi TheMaestro.

Cheers,

Currently have the RS6 hooked on a Arcam Solo [ stereo 2008 edition ]. Somehow I think I can get more out of my RS6 speakers.

TheMaestro said:
Al ears said:
TheMaestro said:
Al ears said:
TheMaestro said:

Forgot to mention I have the Cambridge P640 Phono amp.

Aha! If you have the money I believe good optional internal upgrades are available for these amps, but they might be overkill.

If the OP doesn't want to look at my #8, that's up to him. I've arguably have more experience of the RS6 than anyone currently on this forum. In the years of ownership I've auditioned or home dem'd more integrated amps below £1k mark than most.

It'll depend how far you can/need to stretch your budget. The Arcam A32 was a good amp but was taken out of production when the A38 came along in the mid to late 2000s. You'll only fully benefit by using a £1k + amp -- those RS6s will flourish with a quality amplifier, and one that's able to control its HF and LFs.

Finding the right amp to match those demands made by the RS6s is more cruicial than source or phono stages IMHO. Getting it right at that end will make for a great building block for the rest of the system.

plastic penguin said:
If the OP doesn't want to look at my #8, that's up to him. I've arguably have more experience of the RS6 than anyone currently on this forum. In the years of ownership I've auditioned or home dem'd more integrated amps below £1k mark than most.

It'll depend how far you can/need to stretch your budget. The Arcam A32 was a good amp but was taken out of production when the A38 came along in the mid to late 2000s. You'll only fully benefit by using a £1k + amp -- those RS6s will flourish with a quality amplifier, and one that's able to control its HF and LFs.

Finding the right amp to match those demands made by the RS6s is more cruicial than source or phono stages IMHO. Getting it right at that end will make for a great building block for the rest of the system.

I quite agree with hat you are saying and not too sure why you think OP hasn't read your post #8.

I am assuming from his choice of two aged amplifiers that he is financially constrained..... I am also summising that he cannot audition either.

Whatever, considering his choice of two, I have no doubt that the Primare is the better amp for the long run. He may one day want to change his speakers.... only saying like, it's his choice

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

I quite agree with hat you are saying and not too sure why you think OP hasn't read your post #8.

I am assuming from his choice of two aged amplifiers that he is financially constrained..... I am also summising that he cannot audition either.

Whatever, considering his choice of two, I have no doubt that the Primare is the better amp for the long run. He may one day want to change his speakers.... only saying like, it's his choice

If he is that financially restricted then he should stick with the Arcam Solo and stick a power amp into the solo. Personally think an amp such as a A32 is an age-related risk, and considering you can pick up a much newer A29 s/hand for less than £600. Or perhaps changing to a less demanding speaker of similar presentation, such as Focal 714V.

Not sure I subscribe to picking an amp (primare) that doesn't synergise as well as an Arcam in the hope he can change speakers further down the line. How much farther does he have to wait, especially with other commitments that always crop up - and some you don't expect.

That may not be the case, but I'm painting a worst case scenario. In two years he could still be stuck with the Primare and the RS6s, not able to change either. Sorry if I sound fastidious but I've experienced similar dilemmas, where I've been keen on changing more than component but had to do it in stages. (That's why I've always faffed around and taken a long time over deciding).

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
TheMaestro said:
amormusic said:
Hi TheMaestro.

Cheers,

Currently have the RS6 hooked on a Arcam Solo [ stereo 2008 edition ]. Somehow I think I can get more out of my RS6 speakers.

Speaking as an owner of the recent Arcam Solo Movie, I would suggest you first demo some higher grade speakers at home with your Solo and see what you think. I have PMC twenty.21 speakers with my Arcam and the sound quality is really rather good, in fact to my ears it is fantastic. I previously had MA Silver 1 speakers, and the PMC's spank them. With the MA the sound was somewhat mushy with an exaggerated bass. With the PMC the sound is crisp and clear, with a remarkably natural bass even though they are standmounts. I also tried MA Gold 50 (not sure why they did not appeal), Spendor A1 and a few others. If you look at reviews with measurements, you will see that the largest variation in fequency response, and dynamic response, comes from the speakers, not the amplifier. So I would ignore the usual message to only spend as much on the speakers as the amp (or equivalent amp in your case), and spend proportionately more on the speakers.

If you look around you will find some new bargains. My PMC speakers were new from Fanthorpes, £1,000 compared to the regular price of £1,400, and Fanthorpes are happy to send you a demo pair to try, you pay the postage. I am sure there are other good shops out there too, and of course you might not like PMC speakers, but there's plenty of good makes out there.

insider9

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

It'll depend how far you can/need to stretch your budget. The Arcam A32 was a good amp but was taken out of production when the A38 came along in the mid to late 2000s. You'll only fully benefit by using a £1k + amp -- those RS6s will flourish with a quality amplifier, and one that's able to control its HF and LFs.

Whatever, considering his choice of two, I have no doubt that the Primare is the better amp for the long run. He may one day want to change his speakers.... only saying like, it's his choice

If he is that financially restricted then he should stick with the Arcam Solo and stick a power amp into the solo. Personally think an amp such as a A32 is an age-related risk, and considering you can pick up a much newer A29 s/hand for less than £600. Or perhaps changing to a less demanding speaker of similar presentation, such as Focal 714V.

Not sure I subscribe to picking an amp (primare) that doesn't synergise as well as an Arcam in the hope he can change speakers further down the line. How much farther does he have to wait, especially with other commitments that always crop up - and some you don't expect.

That may not be the case, but I'm painting a worst case scenario. In two years he could still be stuck with the Primare and the RS6s, not able to change either. Sorry if I sound fastidious but I've experienced similar dilemmas, where I've been keen on changing more than component but had to do it in stages. (That's why I've always faffed around and taken a long time over deciding).
I've had MA Silver RX2 on the end of Primare A30.1. From majority of what I've read A30.1 is very similar to I30. With I30 being even better.

I don't dispute that Arcam might be a better fit also appreciate your experience and opinion. But wholeheartedly agree that I30 is far better amp. They are still serviced by authorised centres, so no risk whatsoever. And the combo I've owned sounded actually very good so we're talking subjectively about two combinations that will both work. Not about one that will and the other that won't. I do think saying he'd be stuck isn't doing him any favours.

OP, I remember you're asking about Solo and A32 before. Most agreed A32 is a better amp but you've decided that Solo better meets your needs. In this case both will work well and Arcam potentially a tad better but this time Primare is a better amp.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Leif said:
TheMaestro said:
amormusic said:
Hi TheMaestro.

Cheers,

Speaking as an owner of the recent Arcam Solo Movie, I would suggest you first demo some higher grade speakers at home with your Solo and see what you think. I have PMC twenty.21 speakers with my Arcam and the sound quality is really rather good, in fact to my ears it is fantastic. I previously had MA Silver 1 speakers, and the PMC's spank them. With the MA the sound was somewhat mushy with an exaggerated bass. With the PMC the sound is crisp and clear, with a remarkably natural bass even though they are standmounts. I also tried MA Gold 50 (not sure why they did not appeal), Spendor A1 and a few others. If you look at reviews with measurements, you will see that the largest variation in fequency response, and dynamic response, comes from the speakers, not the amplifier. So I would ignore the usual message to only spend as much on the speakers as the amp (or equivalent amp in your case), and spend proportionately more on the speakers.

If you look around you will find some new bargains. My PMC speakers were new from Fanthorpes, £1,000 compared to the regular price of £1,400, and Fanthorpes are happy to send you a demo pair to try, you pay the postage. I am sure there are other good shops out there too, and of course you might not like PMC speakers, but there's plenty of good makes out there.

at least I'd agree with you on your choice of speakers. Fantabulous.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If you cut the Primare in half with a saw then you might have a fair comparison to the Arcam.

Which half should one select or does it not matter? I suppose we'd better do double blind trials (whereby both eyes are removed) to decide.

In what respect is the Arcam so inferior? (Not a troll question, I'm asking in all seriousness, since you've obviously listened to both.)

insider9

Leif said:
Vladimir said:
If you cut the Primare in half with a saw then you might have a fair comparison to the Arcam. 

Which half should one select or does it not matter? I suppose we'd better do double blind trials (whereby both eyes are removed) to decide.

In what respect is the Arcam so inferior? (Not a troll question, I'm asking in all seriousness, since you've obviously listened to both.)
Left but only if you facing true north ;)

To answer your question. I30 is a fully balanced dual mono high current design. It almost doubles down it's power rating into 4 ohms (100Wpc 8 ohm -> 180Wpc 4 ohm). Technically it's not a fair comparison with Primare being 1.5 times the weight of Arcam.

Although none of it will matter if you prefer the sound of Arcam.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

^ This.

It's about how a given person perceives the sound generated by the synergy between Amp and Speakers...and none of us can tell the OP that with any certainty.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Leif said:
Vladimir said:
If you cut the Primare in half with a saw then you might have a fair comparison to the Arcam.

Left but only if you facing true north ;)

To answer your question. I30 is a fully balanced dual mono high current design. It almost doubles down it's power rating into 4 ohms (100Wpc 8 ohm -> 180Wpc 4 ohm). Technically it's not a fair comparison with Primare being 1.5 times the weight of Arcam.

thumbs_up.png

Yes, I was commenting on the construction. To get the same from Arcam you'd have to go higher up in the range.

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

^ This.

It's about how a given person perceives the sound generated by the synergy between Amp and Speakers...and none of us can tell the OP that with any certainty.

+1

Which is what I have been trying to say all along. Assuming the OP is buying second-hand without the ability to audition then, irrespective of what speakers he currently employs, the choice of amp for the long term is obvious but that's just my opinion.... I cannot offer any more. The synergy with his current speakers is another matter and only he can determine if they work for him.

It really is imperative that people get to audition whatever they can before buying rather than just plucking amps out from a specs list.

You could buy blind of course but, in the majority of cases, this can lead to disappointment and prove to be a costly exercise.

@insider9

There's a flaw in your reasoning: You are comparing MA RX2 and an early Primare (one JD had for many years), and one he partnered with a number of speakers - PMC DBs and AVI passive standmounts are two that spring to mind. IIRC, and I'm going back to 2008 on this forum.

The RX range bears no resemblence to the older RS ranges. I will always love the RS6 but they do need careful partnering. On the flipside --I've heard the RX6, 2 and 1s -- the RX are more amp freindly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts