Arcam A19 vs A28

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Been nailing the A19 this afternoon (day off today!) and I must say, it sounds lovely. It has surprising bass weight and is certainly 'big sounding' and quite exciting!

I've not tried any vinyl yet as it was a quick and dirty set up last night but I am sure Dad will love the amp (if I let it go that is ha ha!)

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
PP, Reason for moving from Floorstanders to standmounts?

None, except for a lack of choice with compact florrstanders.

Neats?

Nah - most of the reviews say they are top-end sensitive.

Have to admit I was rather smitten when I heard B&W 805s, although it was with Naim XS (same ballpark as the Leema). Certainly worth given them an audition nearer the time: They had detail and smoothness, allied to incredible transparencey and imaging.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Neats?

Have to admit I was rather smitten when I heard B&W 805s, although it was with Naim XS (same ballpark as the Leema). Certainly worth given them an audition nearer the time: They had detail and smoothness, allied to incredible transparencey and imaging.

Just a thought some people love them.

Thought B&W 805 were over £3,000?

I would try the Kef LS50s/Tannoy 6.1s they were the best I heard in that line.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Neats?

Just a thought some people love them.

Thought B&W 805 were over £3,000?

You're thinking of these: http://www.whathifi.com/review/b%2526w-805-diamond

I'm talking about these beauts: http://www.whathifi.com/review/b%2526w-805s

They look pretty much identical. No, the LS50s don't appeal on two levels: First, someone on here heard them on here (Leema Pulse owner)alongside the PMC DB1is and preferred the PMCs. Second they don't have grilles. All important safety feature with a nipper marauding around (scooter handle bars speing to mind).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

They look pretty much identical. No, the LS50s don't appeal on two levels: First, someone on here heard them on here (Leema Pulse owner)alongside the PMC DB1is and preferred the PMCs. Second they don't have grilles. All important safety feature with a nipper marauding around (scooter handle bars speing to mind).

[/quote]

I see still £1,600 though.

I would not take one persons opinion. I did hear the LS50s and PMC DB1s together at same dealer but with Audiolab 8200 cdp/amp and I had the opposite view, I did not like the PMCs at all, thin midrange, sounded cold/cininal, the LS50s sounded much more natural, warmer but they had their own problems. With Leema the PMC make work better, I hear they work with Arcam amps.

BigH said:

I see still £1,600 though.

I would not take one persons opinion. I did hear the LS50s and PMC DB1s together at same dealer but with Audiolab 8200 cdp/amp and I had the opposite view, I did not like the PMCs at all, thin midrange, sounded cold/cininal, the LS50s sounded much more natural, warmer but they had their own problems. With Leema the PMC make work better, I hear they work with Arcam amps.

[/quote]

Yeah, but because they are a few years old you can pick up some comparative bargains.

Love the DB1is. Not sure about thin, cold or clinical. They could be accused of a few things but cold and clinical? No-way. Yes heard them with the Leema and my old entry-level Arcam. Stunning.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
If I were in the market for an Arcam amp today, it would be a no brainer to buy the A19 over the A28 given the current prices. Sevenoaks are selling the A19 for £649 and the A28 for £1099 and great though the A28 is, I don't believe it is 500 quid superior!

I am toying with checking out the element power amps at the moment - if I buy two, I can use them as 150 watt monoblocks!

This is exactly what I did, I had the funds for the A28 but actually felt the A19 was better, so bought it.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
I didn't find them bright at all and that was in a less than ideal listening environment with very reflective surfaces. It wasn't a long listen I must admit but I thought they sounded great with the A19 so perhaps slightly warmer electronics are preferable with MA stuff. I wonder if all thoses reviewers bought after auditioning?

Thing is some older listeners like me are used to a warmer sound like in the 60s era .
So you buy some MA speakers like me and make them work how you like them to by choosing an amplifier that gives the sound you want be bright smooth or warm etc.
I dont know if its an age thing or hearing thing but I find all equipment to be quite bright even the equipment that reviewers say is smooth or warm.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Lofi, funnily enough, I find the A19 a bit brighter than the A28 actually!

Ifyou are finding most electronics bright, perhaps your room could do with some treatment?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
p_m_brown said:
I didn't find them bright at all and that was in a less than ideal listening environment with very reflective surfaces. It wasn't a long listen I must admit but I thought they sounded great with the A19 so perhaps slightly warmer electronics are preferable with MA stuff. I wonder if all thoses reviewers bought after auditioning?

Thing is some older listeners like me are used to a warmer sound like in the 60s era . So you buy some MA speakers like me and make them work how you like them to by choosing an amplifier that gives the sound you want be bright smooth or warm etc. I dont know if its an age thing or hearing thing but I find all equipment to be quite bright even the equipment that reviewers say is smooth or warm.

Maybe its the metal tweeters in the MAs. Have you tried KEF R100s or LS50s?

BigH said:
Lo Fi said:
p_m_brown said:

Thing is some older listeners like me are used to a warmer sound like in the 60s era . So you buy some MA speakers like me and make them work how you like them to by choosing an amplifier that gives the sound you want be bright smooth or warm etc. I dont know if its an age thing or hearing thing but I find all equipment to be quite bright even the equipment that reviewers say is smooth or warm.

Maybe its the metal tweeters in the MAs. Have you tried KEF R100s or LS50s?

Get a little fed-up with certain folk having a 'pop' at MAs for being bright. They are not. Pretty lively and in the wrong environment and system they CAN err towards the brighter side.

Seem to find it rather strange that I have a Leema Pulse and RS6s and it sounds genuinely lovely for the money and some.

BigH said:
Well the RS6s are meant to be better than some of the other MAs but even so these people would not agree with you: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/coping-with-the-too-bright-setup-yamaha-as500-ma-rs6

I could copy a link about most brands where people discuss the pros ans cons. MAs are no different. In fact the link you've put up there's a number of complimentary posts.

My concern about hearing KEF R300 is they could sound dull in comparison. If I really am suffering from insomnia I'd buy Spendors. If I want to be invigorated I listen to my system. :)

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Lo Fi said:

Totally agree. I find most contemtporary HIFI too bright. In the home environment, it is this hard-edged, brittle sound, especially with classical, that I am keen to move away from. However, I don't want a turntable and valves. You here detail when you audition, so you are attracted to a product and then over time (sometimes months) you start to find it all too taxing. Not sure that it would be much of a problem if I just listened to pop/rock. I have come to the conclusion though, that auditions are of little purpose, unless you are buying a complete system fron scratch. Will seek out detailed specific reviews in future, to guide me better - preferably not What HIFI ones !

cse said:
Lo Fi said:

Totally agree. I find most contemtporary HIFI too bright. In the home environment, it is this hard-edged, brittle sound, especially with classical, that I am keen to move away from. However, I don't want a turntable and valves. You here detail when you audition, so you are attracted to a product and then over time (sometimes months) you start to find it all too taxing. Not sure that it would be much of a problem if I just listened to pop/rock. I have come to the conclusion though, that auditions are of little purpose, unless you are buying a complete system fron scratch. Will seek out detailed specific reviews in future, to guide me better - preferably not What HIFI ones !

Define contemporary hi-fi?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
cse said:

IMO. The likes of Sugden, Harbeth, Spendor Classic Series and Sonus Faber will give you the sound that you're after.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
IMO. The likes of Sugden, Harbeth, Spendor Classic Series and Sonus Faber will give you the sound that you're after.

Yes but those brands are beyond most people's bank balance.

Sonus Faber Toys and the smaller Spendor Classics can be picked up at sensible money (especially ex-dem)......and second hand Sugdens are reasonably affordable. If the will to succeed is there, it can be achieved.

Audio Note is considered a highend brand, but they make speakers starting at £350......it is all too easy to rule stuff out because of perceived reputation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts