Arcam A19 vs A28

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So I thought this may be useful as a thread on it's own so here goes -

I was talking to my Dad on Father's day and agreed to help him source a new amplifier. I suggested an A18 given the recent price drops but found a very reasonably priced A19 on the 'Bay and picked it up this afternoon. I live a fair way from Dad so I thought it only helpful to get the A19 run in before I deliver it to him!

First impressions of the amp in my set up are very good. It has a soundstage to rival the A28 and has some decent bass power. It is detailed and has a full midrange so vocals, snare drums and cymbals sound particularly nice - definitely has the Arcam family sound albeit a bit a tad more exciting.

Just listened to Stop Listening by Radiohead, Consolers of the Lonely by the Raconteurs and Needles and Pins by the Deftones on the A28 then on the A19. The little A19 certainly produces a room filling sound but one thing that it does fall slightly short on is organising that big soundstage. When listening to the raconteurs track, the vocals sound a little bit too far forward in the mix, so some of the background atmosphere of the track is lost and I feel it doesn't quite convey the layers as convincingly as the A28.

That slight layering issue is also evident with the Deftones track. It is a pretty loud track and not overly dynamic but it does sound just as powerful on the A19 as the A28 if not quite as composed.

Surprisingly, the Radiohead track, which is my favourite for auditioning gear, sounded pretty damn good. Ok, so the ride cymbal didn't fly around the room like it does on a more expensive set up but it stayed pretty composed!

All in all, a great amp for the money and not one I feel I need to swap back straight away! The detail is definitely on par with the A28 and whilst it doesn't quite deliver the punch or composure of the A28 at higher volumes, it is a fine sounding amplifier that has left a smile on my face!

More importantly, the A19 is a massive upgrade for Dad's ageing Cambridge Audio amp and I am sure he is going to love it!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Agreed although it is worth bearing in mind that the A28 is getting on a bit now. I think the design is about 5 years old now so as you know, things move fast in technology hence the A19 closing the gap in SQ.

Sure, can't argue about things moving on. However, if you test like-for-like, with the same speakers and source it would be hard to justify spending the extra on the A28. The one big gripe I had about Arcams - as a Arcam fanboy - is the DIVA range had too many amps in and around the same price bracket. There was very little difference between the entry-level A65+ and the A85.

The FMJ carried on the similar theme: The A18 was originally around £550, the A28 was £750 and the A38 was about a £1000.

This is another reason why I admire Leema so much: Pulse was £1200ish and the next one was the Tucana @ £3500.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If I were in the market for an Arcam amp today, it would be a no brainer to buy the A19 over the A28 given the current prices. Sevenoaks are selling the A19 for £649 and the A28 for £1099 and great though the A28 is, I don't believe it is 500 quid superior!

I am toying with checking out the element power amps at the moment - if I buy two, I can use them as 150 watt monoblocks!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I really miss the soundstage and the sense of space I got from my Alpha 9, and it sounds like these are still characteristics of Arcam amps.

Unfortunately Arcam no longer has a distributor here in Japan. Arcam used to be distributed by Denon, but I don't know why they stopped.

The A19 sounds like a beauty. Let's hope they achieve similar things with (soon to be released?) next generation of the A28 (A29?) and A38 (A39?).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
I really miss the soundstage and the sense of space I got from my Alpha 9, and it sounds like these are still characteristics of Arcam amps.

Unfortunately Arcam no longer has a distributor here in Japan. Arcam used to be distributed by Denon, but I don't know why they stopped.

The A19 sounds like a beauty. Let's hope they achieve similar things with (soon to be released?) next generation of the A28 (A29?) and A38 (A39?).

Can you get Creek in Japan, well worth checking out the new Creek 50A if you can.

As for technogoly moving on I don't think amps have changed much in the last 20 years.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Creek is available here.

I don't think I really meant technology moving on, but more how the new amps may be voiced. The Arcam amps can have a reputation for being a bit soft, but it sounds like the A19 is a little more lively. The fundamentals change very little, as I'm often reminded when I listen to my dad's Luxman from the mid-70s.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes Arcam have a rep for being soft/warm and I now know why, when someone had his Arcam 9 upgraded he found: "the Arcam sounds very bright, too bright - so what they do is put an attenuator in to tone down that brightness making the amp sound warm. This warmth is actually quite nice but it can seem to put a blanket over the music."

BigH said:
Yes Arcam have a rep for being soft/warm and I now know why, when someone had his Arcam 9 upgraded he found: "the Arcam sounds very bright, too bright - so what they do is put an attenuator in to tone down that brightness making the amp sound warm. This warmth is actually quite nice but it can seem to put a blanket over the music."

The old Alpha range was fairly rich in character. From the DIVA range upwards they are neutral, albeit lack any real edginess. My Naim CDP has more warmth over the CD73 IMO.

SudburyAudio

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
:grin: I am glad you are enjoying it, what did you think about the Monitor Audio GX50 that I partnered the A19 with for the demo? Your Dad is going to really enjoy this upgrade especially as he has the SonLink already. Enjoy the music :rockout:

On the Arcam amp range topic I think What Hifi got it very wrong about the A38 as it is a fantastic amp for those who love the Arcam house sound and has enough power to effortlessly drive most sensibly priced speakers

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Funnily enough, with the Rotel CDP and Krix Superbrix speakers I had my Alpha 9 paired with, warm was the last thing you'd call my old set up. Extremely revealing and somewhat bright with many rock recordings, but phenomenal with a lot of the electronic music I tend to listen to.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
SudburyAudio said:
:grin: I am glad you are enjoying it, what did you think about the Monitor Audio GX50 that I partnered the A19 with for the demo? Your Dad is going to really enjoy this upgrade especially as he has the SonLink already. Enjoy the music :rockout:

On the Arcam amp range topic I think What Hifi got it very wrong about the A38 as it is a fantastic amp for those who love the Arcam house sound and has enough power to effortlessly drive most sensibly priced speakers

Hey Stuart,

Great sounding and looking speakers and definitely a great match with the Arcam. If I was in the market for new speakers right now, they would certainly be on my audition list!

Best

PMB

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
So was I. IMO, Arcam amps aren't warm, particularly with MA and Focal speakers.

Why are you going on about Naim cdp then?

As for MA/Focal thats the speakers not the amp.

That's the most recent comparison.

Well, as you should know, the tonal qualities of speakers influences the tone of the amp. With MAs it's massively transparent, Totems and PMCs adds a little more solidity.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I didn't find them bright at all and that was in a less than ideal listening environment with very reflective surfaces. It wasn't a long listen I must admit but I thought they sounded great with the A19 so perhaps slightly warmer electronics are preferable with MA stuff. I wonder if all thoses reviewers bought after auditioning?

BigH said:
You may want to read these owners comments on the MA GX50: http://www.whathifi.com/review/gold-gx50/user-reviews

All 3 complain about the tweeters.

Another speaker in that range you may want to consider is the Tannoy Precision 6.1 esp. if you want a sweeter treble.

I've heard the GX100s. They are good but didn't wow me. Anyway, have no plans to replace the RS6s with anoth MA speaker. The only one I would consider, if the price is right and the Leema can control them, is the PL100. They won't be priority, however, when I come to change.

Already mentally drafted a short-list of speakers I want to hear.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
I didn't find them bright at all and that was in a less than ideal listening environment with very reflective surfaces. It wasn't a long listen I must admit but I thought they sounded great with the A19 so perhaps slightly warmer electronics are preferable with MA stuff. I wonder if all thoses reviewers bought after auditioning?

They were not auditioning they were owners. I thought Arcam amps were not warm?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
SudburyAudio said:

Couldnt agree more. I absolutely love mine and am contemplating a speaker upgrade to get the best it's got to give :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts